Meditation Sign-up Leaves Me Less Than Rested

A friend goes to the vipassana Goenka retreats in Taijong and Kaohsiung and he goes to classes in English. It sounds like they alternate courses in English or Chinese based on what instructors are available.
I get wigged over stuff like that, too. Especially when I know I really need it. Take a breath. Try again. I know exactly how frustrating that kind of stuff is.
Here is the upcoming schedule ( I realize you already know this site well). It doesn’t tell the language taught, though.
dhamma.org/en/schedules/schvikasa.shtml
-let me know if you want me to ask my friend about how/if he knows when the English classes are.

[quote=“kage”]A friend goes to the vipassana Goenka retreats in Taijong and Kaohsiung and he goes to classes in English. It sounds like they alternate courses in English or Chinese based on what instructors are available.
I get wigged over stuff like that, too. Especially when I know I really need it. Take a breath. Try again. I know exactly how frustrating that kind of stuff is.
Here is the upcoming schedule ( I realize you already know this site well). It doesn’t tell the language taught, though.
dhamma.org/en/schedules/schvikasa.shtml
-let me know if you want me to ask my friend about how/if he knows when the English classes are.[/quote]

I don’t really need to take a breath. The course would, simply, have been really valuable to do. I’ll survive quite peacefully. If I simply can’t do it, I’ll move on.

But - kage - if you could ask your friend, that would be a great help. Post info here or pm me. I only checked out the Taichung center but should perhaps have also tried the Kaohsiung one. I’m still very skeptical concerning any luck there, though. Nothing was mentioned about it ever being in English in Taiwan in their mails - especially strange seeing as I specifically asked if they knew of similar courses in Taiwan. I will contact them again to inquire, but they did after all recommend the course in Singapore for me and said nothing of Kaohsiung. I was quite polite in my e-mails, although I did in the third one ask for them to put something on their website stating the language of instruction.

I’d be really grateful if some others interested in this type of thing would similarly try out for it - go to site kage gives above and sign in. Fill out the form, and provided your name sounds English enough, I’m sure you will get a mail within a month or so turning you down.

Anyway, kage, you do encourage me to persevere. Any info you provide would be useful - but as mentioned above, I will consider contacting them, probably via phone; maybe I’ll have a Taiwanese friend call to ask if they ever do this in English anywhere in Taiwan. I’ll get to the bottom of this inky, soupy, meditative glop.

Apologies - I didn’t mean take a breath in that patronizing way. Here is a kind of stupid analogy about how I feel: I meant more like when I am trying to deal with something illogical, and come up for air, there is a period where I need to decide if I am going back down again or to just let it go. I kind of have to steel myself to go and face the bs again (ie - take a breath before going back into the mire…) I hope that makes more sense even if not put eloquently.
Anyhow, I spoke to my friend about it and he was very surprised at the story I related. He made very sure we were talking about the same website. He said ALL the classes are done in English, as all the instructors come from abroad. He added that they often get translators to translate the lessons from English into Chinese. (not the reverse). He said he has even managed a class and he speaks English. Since his Chinese is not perfect, volunteers helped him with translations where required.
All the male students tend to be foreign and the females are a 50-50 split foreign to Taiwanese.
He strongly encouraged you to try again. Heck, he is such a chilled guy he made me want to apply.

Meditation CAN BE overrated. Throughout history there has been plenty of people world wide who were enlightened without ever meditated. You just have to go to your heart chakra and ask God to see if you need meditation. Some people need to meditate, and some people don’t. This is why Buddhist 4 noble truths and 8 fold path don’t work for most people because everyone is different.

[quote=“kage”]Apologies - I didn’t mean take a breath in that patronizing way. Here is a kind of stupid analogy about how I feel: I meant more like when I am trying to deal with something illogical, and come up for air, there is a period where I need to decide if I am going back down again or to just let it go. I kind of have to steel myself to go and face the bs again (ie - take a breath before going back into the mire…) I hope that makes more sense even if not put eloquently.
Anyhow, I spoke to my friend about it and he was very surprised at the story I related. He made very sure we were talking about the same website. He said ALL the classes are done in English, as all the instructors come from abroad. He added that they often get translators to translate the lessons from English into Chinese. (not the reverse). He said he has even managed a class and he speaks English. Since his Chinese is not perfect, volunteers helped him with translations where required.
All the male students tend to be foreign and the females are a 50-50 split foreign to Taiwanese.
He strongly encouraged you to try again. Heck, he is such a chilled guy he made me want to apply.[/quote]

Thanks kage. Your friend’s response is most interesting 'cos the Taichung Center certainly doesn’t seem to be doing anything in English at present. I’ll have a Taiwanese friend call and make inquiries on Monday. Let you know what happens.

Well, everything can be overrated.

I don’t need to meditate, but thought I’d like to try it as I believe in focusing on ultimate meaning and on learning without slipping into sad deistic belief.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]
Well, everything can be overrated.

I don’t need to meditate, but thought I’d like to try it as I believe in focusing on ultimate meaning and on learning without slipping into sad deistic belief.[/quote]

That is a very good reason.