Mei you jin bao ka (no health card)

my teaching job provides me with an ARC but not a health card. i am out in the sticks. the one hospital in town refuses to see me because i cannot give them a health card. if i turn my boss in, she’ll get fined. water rolls down hill. i merely desire to have my physical ailment examined. any way to do this without rousting multiple gov’t agencies? can’t i just pay cash? they say no.

Why is that they provide you with an ARC but not a Health Card?

Demand one.

Your employer is obliged to provide you with health insurance and also with labour insurance. Otherwise, what is going to happen to you if you get a serious illness - SARS or whatever, or you have a serious accident at work? My labour insurance covered me for an accident I had on the way to work.

Source: Migration News, September 1994

You could try phoning the migrant workers’ helpline at the Taoyuan County Government Bureau of Labour Affairs: English: (03) 3344087 or 3322101 ext. 6813

If you tell us where you live, I can try to locate your local labour bureau.

Your employer MUST supply you with a Jian Bao card. You need to speak to the Council of Labor Affairs or the Zhongyang Jiankang Baoxian Ju 0800-212369

thank you for the assistance. she has told me that she can’t provide me with such. in lieu of that, she has gotten something from one of the local life insurance companies. leather bound casing, many pages and entirely in chinese which she keeps in the office…yeah, i think she is scamming me big time. i’ve been down this road before (bosses not supplying the legal basics), actually twice. i try to assert my rights. they give me the “mei ban fa” bit and leave the ball in my court. the first time i called the proper authority. within a week, the school told me they were gonna revoke my ARC. only a quick dash to hong kong kept me valid here (had to find a new job, of course). i really like the school. the kids are great and all the other potential hassles have never really popped up. i am a sucker and too nice. but why would any hospital turn away someone with a fistful of cash?

Yes, you are. If you get seriously ill or have a bad accident, you are going to regret it. Ask her to kindly arrange your health and labour insurance within, say, two weeks or you will go and work for someone else.

Part of the insurance is payable by the employee, so don’t be surprised to see a small deduction from your pay packet.

You’re being stuffed and she is breaking the law. Don’t get sick.

As the others have said, you are emtitled to a card. I own several schools here and am constantly amazed when this problem arises. The cost to the employer to provide this is miniscule (relatively, bout 2000 a month) and really not worth all the hub bub. Get the card or get a new job. The kids are great everywhere. Be warned however that if she holds your ARC she can make your life difficult in future by withholding your release letter.

You say your school is out in the boondocks? Tell your boss that without the insurance card the local hospital won’t accept you, so you’ll have to go to Taipei. Ask her to pay for your transportation. Tell you have to go on work days, and then tell her you’ll need sick pay. Tell her that big city hospitals are more expensive, and ask her to pay your hospital bills. Tell her you’ll probably need to make many trips to Taipei for this.

Then tell her that if it would be possible after all for her to provide the national health insurance card, you wouldn’t need to trouble her so much and could get the problem taken care of locally.

Or you could try a different approach. Tell her that your parents learned you don’t have medical insurance. They are desperately worried about you being in that situation because of what happened to your unfortunate aunt. In order for them to feel secure about you, you must acquire national health insurance.

Your boss has already said no to you. If you give her the same entreaty as before in the same way, you’re likely to receive the same answer. So you need to “alter” the situation so she won’t be changing her mind but responding to something new (however phony). It doesn’t matter that the stories are ridiculous.

If that doesn’t work, then threaten to quit – and mean it. It’s either that or get married to an ROC citizen really fast and have your spouse put you on her/his insurance policy. :wink:

[quote=“cranky laowai”]you could try a different approach. Tell her that your parents learned you don’t have medical insurance. They are desperately worried about you being in that situation because of what happened to your unfortunate aunt. In order for them to feel secure about you, you must acquire national health insurance.

Your boss has already said no to you before. If you give her the same entreaty as before in the same way, you’re likely to receive the same answer. So you need to “alter” the situation so she won’t be changing her mind but responding to something new (however phony). It doesn’t matter that the stories are ridiculous.[/quote]
Excellent advice. The mom and dad story is a very likely candidate for success. :sunglasses:

Is she saying she won’t or can’t (doesn’t know how to) provide it? If her operation is legal enough to get you a work permit, it should be able to give you NHI. Ask her if she needs help finding out how to do it.

skeptic yank, if you are still in a quandry (quandary) about this, and it sounds like you are, and the lady boss aint gonna give you what you want… here is my experience. Of course, I am not in Taiwan right now, but this still applies. YES, you can go to any hospital and pay cash. Before I got my ARC and work papers etc, I often went to hospitals and clinics in Keelung and just paid cash. Of course! And if some hospital bureaucrats for some reason won’t accept you with cash, then just go to a local private doctor or small clinic in your village or town and pay cash. Of course. Taiwan is a civilized nation. Doctors are doctors. They will take cash. But hospitals in some rural areas might be weird. Go to local doctor. BTW, what ails ye? It’s probably nuttin.

take two aspirin and call me in the morning!

I don’t have a jian bao card and the hospitals and dentists in Chiayi or Taipei don’t bat an eyelid when you say so - you just get charged much more, that’s all.

I never had any problem with any dr.s when I didn’t have insurance. Sounds fishy to me. And, like someone pointed out, if she’s legal enough to give you and ARC she should be providing insurance as well. I did have a job once that refused to give me health insurance and later they refused to pay me, too. Then when I tried to quit they refused to release my letter. Took the assistance of the Foreign Affairs Police to get them to move.

So first of all, I’d make sure your ARC is legal–and please tell me she isn’t holding your passport! And then I’d be on to a different school with different great kids.

Good luck!