Mel Gibson making film in Mayan

[quote]VERACRUZ, Mexico (Reuters) - Actor Mel Gibson, who turned a Latin script on the crucifixion of Christ into box office gold last year, is in Mexico to shoot his latest film: an action movie shot entirely in an ancient Mayan tongue.

The star turned independent director was in the eastern state of Veracruz this week where he is to film “Apocalypto,” a thriller set in an ancient Mayan settlement and shot in the Yucatec dialect.

“It’s set before the Conquest, so there are no European faces, and we are using mostly indigenous people and actors from Mexico City,” Gibson, sporting a long beard, said at a news conference in the port city of Veracruz.
[/quote]

Full story here.

This looks like it could be really interesting.

Ironic that a man who produced a movie as anti-Semitic as The Passion looks a bit like a Hasidic Jew with that beard.

I thought it was in Aramaic.

And how was is anti-Semitic again?

As long as it’s explicitly gory, then it will have some good shock value for a drunken movie night.

I thought it was in Aramaic.[/quote]

It was in both. The Latin was like Italian with the “ci” pronounced like “chi”. Is that the way it was pronounced at that time?
And I don’t know how much they butchered the Aramaic, but I noticed that the word for “yes” was “hai”. Hmmm…

Wow, this movie is going to digitize and give life to a near extinct language! Cool!

and by the way:

It’s LANGUAGE

One of the Mayan LANGUAGES

Another S&M romp by Mel. He did it to Jesus now the Mayans will get the same treatment.

[quote=“Booger Digger”] The Latin was like Italian with the “ci” pronounced like “chi”. Is that the way it was pronounced at that time?
[/quote]
Probably not, but that is how Italians pronounce Latin. A lot of the actors in the film were Italian, and Italian is the closest descendant of Latin, so I guess it seemed reasonable.