Men & their Bag Fetish

Anybody else notice the evolution of man bags in Taiwan? It use to be guys would hold their gf’s purses, then carry them like a girl, and now they straight up have purses for themselves. From the feminine, meterosexuals all the way down to the slob with blue flip flops it seems to be every man must carry a purse now.

What gives? Do the local lasses think it’s sexy? Are they stylish yet practical? Has the whole island gone gay?!?

I once bought a pack of 3 designer T-shirts (heavily reduced) that came packaged in a small string-pull bag of the highest quality.
I carried that around for a long while, and put things in (wallet, glasses, energy bars).

Looking back now on those months, I can see that it was actually a man bag.

Although I was up in Taipei last month, and didn’t clock a mass of man bags on the MRT (not that I was looking out for them…)

I’d always see this guy at work walking around carrying what I assumed to be his girlfriend’s pocket purse. I was thinking his gf might have been one of those rich daddy’s girls, because the guy would switch between different “designer” purses like this:
http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20098/China_lv_wallet_pocket_purse20098101543126.jpg

Not manly “shoe leather” purses, but what looked like Gucci and other “indicators of high social class” I’d see on night market stands all the time. One day I asked him which department his gf worked in, and he gave me a confused look. I looked at the purse in his hand. He must have figured it out, because I don’t see him carrying them anymore.

Kinda reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George saw Elaine’s boss (can’t think of his name right now) eating a Snickers with and a knife and fork, then he starts doing it and other people copy him.

Since coming to Taiwan I’ve started carrying a canvas bag kind of like this. I’ve discovered that I seem to carry around more items in Taiwan than in the US (electronic dictionary, reading glasses, notepad for jotting down unknown Chinese words, a bottle of water, and of course tissue), and I don’t have a car to store crap in while out and about, so having a bag is quite useful.

However, I’ll leave the flashy, designer man-purses (which I think the OP is referring to?) to the local young men who feel they must finger comb their bangs into perfect position every ten seconds :unamused:

[quote=“On The Brink”]Anybody else notice the evolution of man bags in Taiwan? It use to be guys would hold their gf’s purses, then carry them like a girl, and now they straight up have purses for themselves. From the feminine, meterosexuals all the way down to the slob with blue flip flops it seems to be every man must carry a purse now.

What gives? Do the local lasses think it’s sexy? Are they stylish yet practical? Has the whole island gone gay?!?

[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve started to notice guys carry what look more like women’s purses now. Being a sissy boy can be an expression of both masculinity and class here I guess :ponder: As for your picture of the gay dancers, that’s a good example of gayness in Taiwan, you know, the bodybuilder type with flat tops who tend to give a lingering glance to foreign males. You’ll usually see them in pairs :laughing:

I’ve got a few messengerbags I carry around here. It’s socially acceptable, and like another poster said I’ve got more stuff to carry around since I’m out of the apartment for long stretches of time. The only ones to give me odd looks were a few of my new-to-the-country coworkers. They eventually ‘got’ it.

Not sure if they’re what you mean by manbag though.

Lots of men carry purses around these days. They’re often called “murses” if I recall correctly.

I won’t do it myself. I have to use briefcases for most things nowadays.

I use a Carrefour plastic bag. Seems to work OK.

I used to do that, but the wife made me stop. Now I have a fake laptop bag.

I used to do that, but the wife made me stop. Now I have a fake laptop bag.[/quote]
But then people might try and steal your ‘laptop’.
You should hide your fake laptop bag by carrying it around in a Carrefour plastic bag.

Yesterday I used one of those pink-striped bags. That worked pretty well, too.

Can’t go wrong with a bit of French fashion. Perhaps you could get a matching poodle.
I have a pur… pu… I prefer the term Convict Coin Carrier; yep an Aussie ‘invention’, it’s a kangaroo scrotum lovingly turned into a coin container.

[quote=“formosaobama”]

Kinda reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George saw Elaine’s boss (can’t think of his name right now) eating a Snickers with and a knife and fork, then he starts doing it and other people copy him.[/quote]

It was Mr Pitt.

For work I carry around a kids suitcase from the Disney movie Cars with a big picture of Speed and Tater on it, a canvas shopping type bag with a picture of a teddy bear and some blocks (which I got for free) full of files, and a backpack for more paperwork and the comp.

My dad carries a purse now, he says it’s very practical. When I have to carry a lot of things I use a backpack. It makes much more sense as it distributes the weight across your back and not on one shoulder like a purse. I have a Taiwanese cousin who came to visit America and wanted to buy a purse from one of those designer outlet shops.

Yeah I often use a satchel too (although not canvas). I take buses and the MRT quite a bit and it’s hard to squeeze past people wearing a backpack. I don’t like anything in my hands either, which rules out anything of similar form to a plastic shopping bag.

I see a small percentage of (usually young) Taiwanese guys carrying manbags and I always wonder, is there an equally niche market of young women whose panties are leavened so? No idea, but if nothing else it leads one’s imagination in a pleasing direction.

Bag of all bags. The true master bag. No bag can equal it.

I use the paper bag from my last underwear purchase sometimes. Seems to draw some curious stares…

Why, do you buy Chantelle like I do? :laughing:

Just kidding.

My last underwear purchase must have been about 2001. Not kidding. :laughing:

Or those nylon mesh bags with the blue and green stripe on it… a lot of elderly women in Taiwan use them.

I do have kind of a purse-ish thing that I use exclusively while travelling on airplanes. It’s convenient to have passports, tickets, doccuments, cash all in one place where they’re easy to reach. Also, any time I’m on an airplane I’m usually popping an assortment of anti-anxiety pills so it’s good to have all this stuff attatched to your body somehow. Even without the meds I’m a zombie by the time I reach Toronto and I still have about 8 hours to go.