Mepis Linux

Mepis Linux seems like a really great distribution.

I’ve had to give Knoppix an early burial because configuring a Wacom tablet was a nightmare for this newbie. But I’ve read that others have had an almost plug-n-play experience with their tablets when using Mepis.

Currently, my connection requires 50+ hours to download an ISO image of Mepis, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in selling/trading/donating a copy…

:slight_smile:

I’d donate a copy. Let me know if you’d want to pick it up from Yonghe and I’ll start the download.

Miltownkid, that is such a nice offer.

But I live in Zhongli and my schedule is packed. Is there anyway you could mail it here?

And if so, in return I can mail you a copy of any of the odd distros I have (captured before my internet connection became a turtle):

• Dyne:bolic
  • B2D
  • Puppy Linux
  • Morphix
  • Berry Linux 0.51
  • Pingwinek 1.0

Sure, I’d do that. Just PM/email your address to me and I’ll send it. I’ll start the download now.

[quote=“jwar”]Mepis Linux seems like a really great distribution.

I’ve had to give Knoppix an early burial because configuring a Wacom tablet was a nightmare for this newbie. But I’ve read that others have had an almost plug-n-play experience with their tablets when using Mepis.

Currently, my connection requires 50+ hours to download an ISO image of Mepis, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in selling/trading/donating a copy…

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Let us know how Mepis works out for you. As I recall, you’re using an older version of Knoppix - not sure if a later version would solve your problem. As you know, I personally prefer Kanotix, which is a “Knoppix on steroids”.

What’s wrong with your Internet connection?

cheers,
DB

This Mephis is pretty sweet. Posting this now via the live CD. I’ll make sure your CD gets in the mail tomorrow, I should have just mailed it myslef :P.

I found this article while searching google for desktop linux reviews [CLICK HERE]

Intalled it on my second computer yesterday (installation is super easy) and I’m using Skype on the Live CD right now as I post this.

I’d recommend checking this one out.

Yeah, I just downloaded an ISO of Mepis yesterday and when I tried to start it up it wanted me to log in, but I couldn’t. It seemed to want a password…

demo/demo
root/root

Even I guessed that. :wink:

Shoosh you. It was late, ok! :laughing:

do you think it would recognize even my inbuildt sound card and wireless access point…

I wonder.
Kenneth

What sort of wireless device you using? USB or internal?

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]do you think it would recognize even my inbuildt sound card and wireless access point…

I wonder.
Kenneth[/quote]
Wouldn’t hurt to try and find out. It’s a live CD so there’s no need to intall.

I got the networking to work between my windows machine and my Linux (Mepis) machine without even breaking a sweat. :smiley:

The only real problem is I had trouble getting the Linux machine to see the windows one. Then I realized I had ZoneAlarm running. I set that up to allow the Linux IP and I was all good.

Backing up will be much easier now :smiley:.

Seems nice enough. It’d be better if it had Kanotix’s ability to automatically recognize my USB wireless, but otherwise it’s pretty good.

Mepis is really a nice GNU/Linux distribution. Special public thanks to miltownkid for the CD!

DB,

Whenever I tried to upgrade my distribution through apt-get, it would just mangle everything.

But I also needed a distribution that would recognize my Wacom tablet because it is the most vital piece of equipment I use. So, not only was I surprised when Mepis recognized my Graphire tablet right from first boot, I was also very pleased. :slight_smile:

Because all of my graphic applications are open-source* (GIMP, Sodipodi, Inkscape, Blender and more), moving my graphic design environment over to GNU/Linux was a breeze. It all comes together in Mepis. (Though I had to install Sodipodi and Blender afterwards.)

*I’ve divorced all Adobe products.

I’m trying to find out what happened to my internet connection. It’s really annoying. I’m not sure whther or not it has anything to do with the ton of internet cafes all around our apartment.