Merging threads

It once again falls on Tom to point out that no-one likes an over zealous moderator, and no-one appreciates the sore feeling they have in their backside after they become the recipient of a moderators decision.

Am I so retarded that I need Tom’s posts being re-interpreted by someone with better judgement than me?

I refer to a thread Tom started in ‘Pets and other animals’ entitled ‘Empathy for Stray Dog and Bobpine.’ Someone decided that this wasn’t worthy of being a new thread, and stuck it at the end of some existing thread.

Again I say that this is a monopoly, and that some of you moderators needs to get out more and enjoy life, instead of wasting Sunday afternoon tidying (perceived tidying, but actually harmful fussing) up forums on the internet.

If there were another website about Taiwan, with a large amount of traffic, that didn’t have such ‘moderators’ I’d be out of here faster than sh*t off a shovel.

(I think I have made my feelings clear before about moderating Tom. I moderate Tom, and I get pretty shirty when someone else deems themselves to have a better understanding of Tom’s thoughts and opinions than his narrator.)

Now why don’t you merge this with a thread about Indonesian crocodile farming.

I’m with you on this one and I believe it’s mostly the same moderator … and I guess you first need to start a thread about Indonesian crocodile farming …

Yes, me too. Modding (as in chopping , cutting and acts of interpretation) makes forumosa less intelligent, less interesting and pretty unpleasant at times. Unfortunately, we haven’t got past those software licensing-style agreements; if we use the site, we agree to abide by other people’s distasteful social rules. It’s a shame it isn’t more inclusive, but social groupings rarely are.

I’m not sure how to make it nicer. Is it possible to have a site for everyone? If there were a cool other site, then it would be bad for others, I suppose. I’ve made a few friends here, who are wonderful, which makes up for all the bad people. I’m grateful to the site for that.

Grundlichkeit … order … :slight_smile:

I disagree with you Tom. Those two threads are like twin tornados of circular logic; the last thing anyone needs is more spinoffs.

I didn’t merge your thread btw, but I would have if it were my job.

[quote=“TomHill”]It once again falls on Tom to point out that no-one likes an over zealous moderator, and no-one appreciates the sore feeling they have in their backside after they become the recipient of a moderators decision.

Am I so retarded that I need Tom’s posts being re-interpreted by someone with better judgement than me?
[/quote]

And sometimes when the post is moved its content is edited. A worrisome habit.

Maybe the moderators could put in some note saying the original work was edited for content?

Groo is a tool [content added for clarification]

[quote=“redwagon”]I disagree with you Tom. Those two threads are like twin tornados of circular logic; the last thing anyone needs is more spinoffs.

I didn’t merge your thread btw, but I would have if it were my job.[/quote]

The first thing forumosa needs is differing ‘logic’ and opinions. Tornadoes would be great, but dull farts of ‘hey, I think’ would also be be a step in the right direction. Really. I’m not being facetious.

A mod should have the decency to explain any reasons for any possible merging and/or editing in a diplomatic pm to the poster(s) in question. A mod should also leave a note in a merged thread indicating what happened so that commoners like the rest of us can understand the switcheroo.

:note: “To dream, the impossible dream…”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]A mod should have the decency to explain any reasons for any possible merging and/or editing in a diplomatic pm to the poster(s) in question. A mod should also leave a note in a merged thread indicating what happened so that commoners like the rest of us can understand the switcheroo.[/quote]Usually I do one or the other, but rarely feel it necessary to spend time doing both. Occasionally, I do neither.

I’m preparing myself for the usual barrage of “arrogant mod” comments.

I will also say to other mods: you have carte blanche to temp or edit my posts where you feel necessary, without feeling that you have to explain yourselves to me. If it really bothers me enough, I’ll PM you to ask why. But I probably won’t get round to doing so. My time is too important to me to worry much about such trivial things.

Here’s another example here. This time, posts are merged out of the thread Tom’s thread was merged with. Read my post in that thread for details.

I’m with Tom on this, although since his thread had my name in it, maybe it’s not my place to say. Thanks again, Tom. :notworthy:

Another thing I’m not sure is fair is the merging of posts. I think Maoman has been quite inconsistent that way, and perhaps arbitrary as well.

All my posts in the threads in question were merged. It makes it look as if I post long winded posts. I don’t need help in that department, I’m quite capable of writing long posts on my own, thanks. :wink: If I posted two posts in a row while quoting two different posters, Maoman merged my posts. I guess it would not be so bad, except he only did that to my posts in these threads while other posters would post up to FOUR posts in a row quoting the same poster, and Maoman did nothing about it. I sent Maoman a PM(actually, I replied to his pm to me) to ask him what’s up with the merging of only my posts, and I provided him with links to the other back to back posts, but he just kept merging my posts while ignoring the other back to back posts in the same thread despite the links I pmed him.

I don’t care that much about this, I just wonder why only my posts. It bothers me a bit, but like I said, not that much. Maoman’s response was that if I don’t care, why would he. My response to that is if I care a bit about him only merging my posts, why wouldn’t he? And if he’s going to send me warning pms for spamming via back to back posts(2 in a row) why is he not doing anything about four post in a row?

Here’s from the pm I sent to Maoman, the links to other back to back posts he left intact. Meanwhile, if you read the thread, most long posts from me in which I quote more than one poster were merged by Maoman.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 821#690821

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 842#690842

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 850#690850

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 712#690712

Above links are all back to back posts which were left as is, and I missed many of them. I just picked four of them to ask Maoman why he only merged my own posts in that thread. Weird… Maoman even pmed me to ask me to stop spamming the board with back to back posting, and telling me that he only pms repeated offenders. Give me a goddamn break! Quoting two different posters in two consecutive posts using the quote/reply function is not spamming. Again, other posters quoted the same poster FOUR posts in a row, and Maoman did nothing about it. Arbitrary? Perhaps. Disappointing? Surely.

I merged a post that was a quote about animals to a thread entitled “quotes about animals”, and you think that’s remarkable? Whatever. :idunno:

I merged a post that was a quote about animals to a thread entitled “quotes about animals”, and you think that’s remarkable? Whatever. :idunno:[/quote]The conversation that followed in “the other thread” called “quotes about animals” is a continuity of the actual discussion from the original thread. Why over moderate like that? Besides, you should bloody well know that Stray Dog was making a VERY on topic point about the topic at hand… In my book, that’s arbitrary moderation…

How about you tell us just exactly how a quote regarding the way we treat animals is off topic, in a thread where you post about killing dogs for the sake of gaining two weeks of peace? How about you tell us how the same quote is off topic in a thread where you advocate shooting dogs with a bb gun?

I strongly suggest you appoint another moderator to moderate the threads you start, or participate in actively if it happens to be a controversial subject. Just my two cents.

For those reading this who are not sure what this is about, here’s Stray Dog’s post that was removed and merged with another thread.(Quotes about animals)

[quote=“Stray Dog”]This quote was a signature in someone’s email; I thought I’d share it:

[quote]We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our
distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were
able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.[/quote]
~William Ralph Inge[/quote]

And here’s the thread it was removed from.(Stray dog problem)