Mexican Drug Wars Violence

It doesn’t seem to get talked about much, but shizzam there is some bad shit happening there.

The drugs are headed for the the US, so it should be of deep concern to them…?

There’s plenty more vids.

What’s your take?

Legalize it.

Why would they legalise it when they are so close to winning ‘The War Against Drugs’?

Some pretty disturbing stuff. Skinning faces, castration, and beheading are all very common place.
Some pretty full on spanish language websites.

WARNING graphic images:

blogdelnarco.com/2011/03/vid … ombre.html
borderlandbeat.com/2010/12/b … iudad.html

The guns are also coming from the US.

Right wing BS politics is to blame (sorry TC). The ‘War on Drugs’ and too many gun freedoms (for the record people should be allowed to possess firearms IMVHO, but a group that openly campaigns to hinder responsible governance of firearms is dangerous to a civil society - that’s you NRA).

Common sense north of the Mexican border would minimize this problem, but maybe it is better to portray the brown guy as this drug peddling psychotic murderer, helps keep the border sealed.

Not a conspiracy theorists but it was proven in the inner-cities of the US in the 80s that if you throw a poor demographic a shit load of cocaine, they will kill hoards of their own young men to wrestle control of the market.

It’s basically a lifestyle thing. The hairstyle, the sunglasses, black SUVs, jeans, guns, own language. Trips into the desert - with everybody showing off their stuff. Fashionistas.

Clearly the Belgians are to blame.

It sucks, obviously. US demand for drugs WILL be filled, by SOMEONE. If they are illegal (and thus lucrative), the suppliers will inevitably be violent drug cartels.

When the Coast Guard’s naval interdiction improved a while back, cutting off aerial and naval drug routes from Central and South American sources, the supply path INEVITABLY moved to land routes through Mexico. Innocent Mexicans (I don’t mean the Mexican cartel members, although some of the people involved are definitely being conscripted by force into the supply chain), Americans and others affected by this violence are therefore victims of US demand for drugs, of the Coast Guard’s successes, of the drug suppliers, and of the Mexican cartels in the middle of course. Innocent (albeit illegal) migrants from Central America have been murdered in large numbers as part of this, and they too are victims. Lax US policy on gun sales exacerbates the problem, as does serious corruption in Mexico. Many Mexican officials who have tried to fight the problem have been murdered.

Because Michoacan, a state adjacent to my Mexican father’s home state of Guanajuato, is not particularly safe due to the drug wars, on my most recent visit I skipped a much wanted trip to Paracho, Michoacan to buy a guitar. The violence has spilled into Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, where I went to school, and has included attacks in the suburb I used to live in and even at the entrance to my own school, witnessed by friends of my brother and sister-in-law.

It’s certainly a matter of grave concern, but I don’t believe that efforts by the Mexican government can succeed without significant reduction in the supply of guns from the US and drastic reduction in demand for illegal drugs from Americans. Even if the Mexican government were somehow spectacularly successful in disrupting the organized crime involved in the current supply chains, the demand from American drug users means the drugs WILL find another route, whether via new channels of organized crime in Mexico, or via new maritime routes.

In the end, the American demand for illegal drugs is the real source of the problem of violence. The demand has to be curtailed, or aerial and naval interdiction scaled back so as to allow diversity of supply and less violent competition for supply through a limited geographic area, or the drugs have to be legalized, again limiting the violent competition in a different way.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]The guns are also coming from the US.

Right wing BS politics is to blame (sorry TC). The ‘War on Drugs’ and too many gun freedoms (for the record people should be allowed to possess firearms IMVHO, but a group that openly campaigns to hinder responsible governance of firearms is dangerous to a civil society - that’s you NRA).[/quote]
You clearly have not been following the news.

The BATFE has been supplying the guns. The BATFE specifically instructed gun dealers to sell guns to known traffickers so that the BATFE could somehow miraculously track the sales and find the drug dealers. The BATFE then didn’t bother to do any of the hard part.

There is currently a major Congressional investigation.

If you want to blame someone, don’t blame the NRA or “Right wing BS politics”, blame the shithead bureaucrats who were trying to jack up trafficking numbers to justify their own jobs.

Let’s not forget that Mexico has suffered decades of massive corruption. Cleaning up from that was never going to be pretty.

Of course, now we have Hezbollah infiltrating South America and linking up with Narco traffickers.

It looks to bring a whole new definition to the words ‘Narco Terrorism’.

Hezbollah Hooks Up With Mexican Drug Cartels

[quote=“Impaler”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]The guns are also coming from the US.

Right wing BS politics is to blame (sorry TC). The ‘War on Drugs’ and too many gun freedoms (for the record people should be allowed to possess firearms IMVHO, but a group that openly campaigns to hinder responsible governance of firearms is dangerous to a civil society - that’s you NRA).[/quote]
You clearly have not been following the news.

The BATFE has been supplying the guns. The BATFE specifically instructed gun dealers to sell guns to known traffickers so that the BATFE could somehow miraculously track the sales and find the drug dealers. The BATFE then didn’t bother to do any of the hard part.

There is currently a major Congressional investigation.

If you want to blame someone, don’t blame the NRA or “Right wing BS politics”, blame the shithead bureaucrats who were trying to jack up trafficking numbers to justify their own jobs.[/quote]

what about that pesky little ‘War on Drugs’? How is that working out?

So, if we legalize drugs - all of 'em. What percentage of our kids are going to be addicted?

Yeah, it does. I’ve read that Mexico’s tourism industry has been hit hard as just one consequence. We were seriously considering vacationing in Mexico, but violence has even spread to some resort towns. Some of the resorts are hiring private security forces. Not rent-a-cops but former military personnel who know what they’re doing. But, then you’re confined to the resort. No visiting the local towns/villages for shopping or sightseeing. Certainly no venturing off the jungle to visit Mayan ruins. And really, who wants to take a vacation in a war zone?

The drug wars are regional, and the targets are generally competing drug cartels. It is a very large country. It’s certainly a matter for serious concern, but it’s not as if these were terrorists intent on targeting tourist resorts or tourists nationwide. I will certainly continue traveling to Mexico every year or two, but I’ll avoid problem areas. Frankly (and quite seriously), statistically I am probably safer traveling there than crossing the street or riding a scooter in Taibei.

I know, but…

[quote]Still, last October, a Canadian visiting Acapulco on business was found dead in his charred rental car after disappearing in the beach town. In January, another Canadian was shot in the leg during a firefight that erupted in Mazatlán. He survived but shortly afterward three luxury cruise lines— Walt Disney Co.'s Disney Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Star Cruise Ltd’s Norwegian Cruise Line—canceled service to the port.

According to the U.S. State Department, 107 Americans were killed in homicides in Mexico last year, up from 77 the year before and twice the figure before the drug wars began. The agency doesn’t break out tourists from the figures.[/quote]

I realize that tourists aren’t the prime targets, but drug war violence has spread to some resort areas. Actually, we did briefly visit Mexico last year. Our cruise stopped in Cozumel, and we had a fun day at the beach. :sunglasses:

About the same. However all the money spent on law enforcement will go into rehabilitation and education programs.
Furthermore, if current drugs were made under license in govt approved labs the end result would be the ability to dose accurately with less impurities.
All drugs in portugal were decriminalised 10 years ago. Results are very encouraging.

Drug_policy_of_Portugal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

What about it? The argument of yours that I was refuting was about guns being supplied because of “too many gun freedoms” in the U.S. On the contrary, the guns were flowing to Mexican cartels because an American government agency, the BATFE, was trying to increase its power and influence. Incidentally, this is the same agency that engaged in a mass armed assault, with media called in ahead of time to be on hand to videotape their studly behavior, against seventy-odd hapless cultists, during which BATF (later renamed BATFE) agents shot four of their own jackbooted thugs by mistake, then blamed it on the cultists despite strong evidence to the contrary (the bullets that caused the wounds and deaths were all of a specific type that was prohibited for civilian ownership, and that the BATF agents’ MP5 machine guns were loaded with during their assault).

I completely agree that the War on Drugs is a total failure. Nearly every government on the planet is at least paying lip service to it, though, if not actively engaged in it – death penalty for drug trafficking in Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, and many other SEA countries, for example. Even the Netherlands is moving to prohibit tourists from smoking pot in their “coffee shops”.

Nonsense. Deuce Dropper is talking about a problem that has spanned decades. The ATF’s Operation Fast and Furious began in the fall of 2009. From CBS:

[quote]June 10, 2011

Congress holds its first hearings Monday on the “gunwalker scandal” that CBS News first uncovered back in February.

Officials at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) encouraged gun shops to sell thousands of assault rifles and other weapons destined for Mexican drug cartels.

On “The Early Show” Friday, CBS News Investigative Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reported those who defend the strategy say their goal was to let the little fish go – to get the big fish. But insiders say, in the process, lives were needlessly put in danger.

Attkisson initially broke the story for CBS News.

Last June, about nine months into the ATF operation known as “Fast and Furious,” suspects had “purchased 1,608 firearms for over $1 million in cash transactions at various Phoenix-area gun shops,” according to internal documents obtained by CBS News. The documents indicate ATF already knew that 179 of those very weapons had turned up at crime scenes in Mexico, and 130 in the U.S.

Yet, ATF allowed some of the same suspects – accused of being middlemen for Mexican drug cartels – to continue to buy and transfer assault weapons. Sometimes, agents say, they videotaped the buys, but didn’t interdict the guns.

Documents indicate intentions were good. The idea, according to those documents, was to “allow the transfer of firearms” to pinpoint big cartel crooks rather than the small-time traffickers supplying them.

Former New York State Deputy. Secretary of Public Safety Mike Balboni told CBS News, “They want to change the dynamic and truly go after the kingpin, so give the kingpin something that they can’t resist – this flow of weapons over 15 months – and then track 'em, find 'em and take 'em down.”

But several ATF agents strongly objected to letting any guns “walk.”

Darren Gil was ATF’s lead official in Mexico during “Fast and Furious.” He told CBS News, “We’re in the business of interdicting weapons; we’re not in the business of putting weapons out there for criminals to use. And that’s what happened in this case.”[/quote]

The operation is very controversial, even among ATF agents. But it’s hardly responsible for a decades long problem.

I for one am very scared of what this means for the future of safety in Canada. Drug lords go where the money is. The make a lot of money off of Canada’s thirst for cocaine. Let’s face it, Canada loves cocaine, and cocaine doesn’t grow in Canada. We’re going to have Canadian drug lords taking up residence in Canada if they aren’t there already. And setting up weed plantations in Canada, if they haven’t already. UGH, why do you have to be so violent?

Lol. Canadians looooove weed. In fact, according to a UN report, Canada leads to world in marijuana use.

mostlywater.org/canada_leads_wor … ijuana_use
Well, we can officially call ourselves Toker Nation now. According to the 2007 World Drug Report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Canada has the dubious honour of leading the industrialized world in marijuana use, at least when calculated as a percentage of population.

I think it would be hard for Candada to grow more weed then they currently do.

Wrong climate for growing coca though so they’ll still have to import it.

About the same. However all the money spent on law enforcement will go into rehabilitation and education programs.
Furthermore, if current drugs were made under license in govt approved labs the end result would be the ability to dose accurately with less impurities.
All drugs in portugal were decriminalised 10 years ago. Results are very encouraging.

Drug_policy_of_Portugal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal[/quote]

Watch the movie Jimipresley posted here:

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=97059&p=1275298&hilit=heroin#p1275298

Only 1% of people successfully get off of heroin, and you want to decriminalize it?

(or are you just talking about cannabis?)