Mexican Food in Taipei

If this doesn’t work out, you could jump on the Red Line and head down to CKS Memorial Hall MRT Station to visit Fonda, where legit and delicious Mexican fare awaits. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re looking, but presale tickets are still available. The slightly cheaper “super early bird” tickets have been sold out for at least a few days now though.

I’m pretty sure that’s not a first either. I remember both the super early bird and presale tickets selling out at the previous one in November, with the latter being gone several days before the event.

The one in November was absolutely packed, and at some point they weren’t allowing entry to even people with previously purchased tickets on account of COVID concerns. (You’d think it’d then occur to them not to hold it in a poorly ventilated tent, but hey.)

Didn’t notice any major queuing/supply issues, for the most part. I’d probably avoid the ones with queues anyway though.

2 Likes

It appears that I’ve been wrongly informed about ticket availability. Apologies.

It didn’t feel to be packed to me in the slightest last time. Quite the opposite, in fact. Maybe I went to the early session, I can’t remember.

EDIT: I’ve just looked at some photos of it and it wasn’t packed at all. It’s honestly not my memory playing up again.

2 Likes

My bad memories are from way upthread, six years ago. It sounds like the event is now in a much more appropriate venue.

Flashback to Festival del Taco en Taipei, April 2016:

2 Likes

Where is this place Las Adelitas? Maybe Tainan?

My first few days out of quarantine and I just gravitated to this good food at Fonda.

1 Like

Fonda’s enchiladas! I would go for that in an instant. :yum:

Guy

These look amazing. Unfortunately, this restaurant doesn’t seem to have many vegetarian options on the menu. No veggie enchilada / taco, and even the chilaquiles is not listed as vegetarian (maybe they use chicken broth :sob:)

1 Like

Any place offering a good authentic chiles en nogada and/or handmade horchata?

I’ve enjoyed horchata at both Eddy’s Cantina and MASA.

It looks like chiles en nogada is based around poblano chiles, and since those are quite hard to get here, I doubt it’s available. But I’d be very happy to be corrected.

1 Like

On Keelung , close to world trade, looks like building upmarket Mexican place

Azúcar 拉丁咖啡美食

Anyone tried? Not purely Mexican.

Empanada Festival this weekend.

2 Likes

Empanadas! So connections to Chile? Argentina?

Guy

Some kind of Mexican or Latin food festival at Maji.

2 Likes

The empanadas are okay not a huge selection. I’m not sure where the owners and staff are from.

I think Azúcar trying to up their game to serve more food and have more events like live bands and dancing.

I think Belly used to be in the same space and a Sushi Express before that and what else

An empanada is a type of baked or fried turnover consisting of pastry and filling, common in Spanish, other Southern European, Latin American, and Iberian-influenced cultures around the world. The name comes from the Spanish empanar, and translates as ‘breaded’, that is, wrapped or coated in bread.

Spanish empanadillas

but honestly I think Cornish Pasty its similar or better, but more bigger size

1 Like

A link of some American South (ARG) style empanadas with beef and Blue Cheese another one.

Empanadas are awesome, but they are not Mexican food, and that is not in Taipei. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Yes, not in Taiwan but can be Mexican
https://www.yummly.com/recipes/mexican-empanadas

Further links …

Maji Square link:

Event on Facebook: