Miaoli, laid back cultural haven or tumbleweed town?

There is one,it looks like a Tie Pi Wu though.
There is also a Starbucks in Houlong and Toufen but not Miaoli city . :grin:
Looking back at my reviews they were rather generous, yours are pretty accurate. There’s a lot NOT to be said about Miaoli City.
Indeed Miaoli county is a much more worthwhile place to explore . Bombing the dragon festival in Miaoli city is cool after new year.

2 Likes

Grave dig here to place a vote on the “tumbleweed” side of the ledger—at least based on this specific case. All credit due to this impressively fanatic dig on twitter.

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Guy

2 Likes

“Camp David”…more like the Berghof. :sweat_smile:

Whoever thinks Taiwan is boring is not really paying attention to the details—even in “tumbleweed town,” Miaoli.

Guy

My wife went to this a few times, invited by some local rich kids. It had a bowling alley as mentioned aswell as a golf club. Quite an oddity indeed parked there in the verdant countryside.

1 Like

Guess who was married to Magistrate Liu’s daughter. I’m sure they lived very well in Taiwan . He wouldn’t be getting any welcome from me. Miaoli couldn’t even provide school lunches to poor kids at some points.

Married a Taiwanese woman.

Lol - that’s the only details.

Absolute joke. His inlaws and their cronies didn’t give two shits about the environment. Took a wrecking ball to the place.

and Esquire China once named him man of the year for his environmental work.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Miaoli a couple times. The only thing that’s really made an impression was this cafe area on a mountain where everything is purple.

I remember having a lovely time exploring that area with my family a couple years ago. Besides that, I can’t say I’d want to live there. I feel bored enough in Kaohsiung.

So as usual for most areas in central Taiwan… nice to visit, wouldn’t want to live there.

3 Likes

Yup, better off in Kaohsiung area.

Been in Kaohsiung 6 and a half years. I’m bored stiff here but stuck here due to my job, wife’s job, child’s school, apartment mortgage, etc. It’s annoying having all these anchors. If we stay in Taiwan, my wife and I plan to try to move to Taipei in the next few years even if we have to make some compromises.

I can’t imagine living even one year in Miaoli. I think I’d go (betel) nuts.

7 Likes

Miaoli has long shared the distinction with places such as a Keelung as unmovable pan-blue strongholds. No matter how badly it was governed, no matter how corrupt, there was no way it would kick those guys out and change parties.

Keelung City, to their credit, made the leap lately across parties, and it appears that the town is making some improvement. Kaohsiung, which has the reputation of being always green, was actually ruled by the KMT in the 1990s and was willing to give them another shot in the 2010s (before changing their mind and kicking Han out—but that, as we know, is another thread).

Miaoli by contast remains apparently unmovable. And in Taiwan when you do that, this is unfortunately one of the likely results. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

I was in Kaohsiung for about the same time. It was exciting for the first few years but after that I got bored and moved. After that long you’ve seen everything you want to see and it’s a small place.

1 Like

Abandoned places like “Camp David” above interest me greatly (and yeah, I’m now planning a visit, likely to place a geocache there).

If anyone is interested, the Chinese name of the place is 大衛營國際休閒俱樂部 and here’s its Google location: Google Maps

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Here’s a spot nearby to stop or maybe stay the night.

Shangrila Paradise

2 Likes

That’s one way to deal with this sordid history in Taiwan—use it for other purposes!

A visiting friend made a similar point when he saw some Taiwanese teenagers dancing the night away in front of the imposing figure of Sun Yat-sen and his eponymous memorial hall. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Explosion at a beef noodle shop in Miaoli City. No reported fatalities, thank goodness.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202306030007

Guy

1 Like