Miaoli Steam Train

Pretty cool. Chance to ride a real steam train. Now this is something that could be pretty novel if done right. Could be a successful tourist operation, if the TRA doesnt farm it out where it can meet with all sorts of weird angles.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arch … 2003474641

What are you talking about tommy? You live in Berkeley, right? You do know that there’s a very beautiful steam train right there in Berkeley, in Tilden Park, don’t you? I believe the engine is over 100 years old but has been beautifully, lovingly restored.

Admittedly, it’s a little small – it’s a miniature that’s been there offering rides for kids and their parents for many decades – but it’s still worth checking out (I rode on it with my wife, daughter and aged parents).

Yes I was recently (well last year) on it with me then GF. Lovely train ride a lot of fun. I have news for you. Its not STEAM driven. It just LOOKs like it is. Its a FAKE. :slight_smile: As well as a fake train.

This one is a REAL STEAM CHOO CHOO full sized. Now there are not many places in the world you can ride one.

The Tilden Park train isn’t fake: it’s a real, operational steam train. It’s just small and travels in a short loop.

Well the one I rode on, they told me its not really steam powered. Its got steam and all that and it looks like a steam engine but its really diesel powered. Sorry if that is hard to take :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The steam is just for show. Its way too much bother to be shuffling coal these days. Too dirty too. Probably would alarm many of the berkeleyites if it belched smoke and all that.

If you wanna ride a real full-sized steam train then get yourself to South Africa and ride the Outeniqua Choo-tjoe from Knysna to George. It goes through the most beautiful part of the country too…

This is the one local to me:

Or the Durango-Silverton train in Colorado, operating since 1879.
durangotrain.com/

Mine was built in 1862, I PWN yooo!

Yea, well AYTABTU.

Yea, well AYTABTU.[/quote]

all your trek are belong to us?

GIYF!

[quote=“tommy525”]Pretty cool. Chance to ride a real steam train. Now this is something that could be pretty novel if done right. Could be a successful tourist operation, if the TRA doesnt farm it out where it can meet with all sorts of weird angles.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arch … 2003474641[/quote]

I was most tempted to flash my furriner ragtagwriter card for this one, but if experince holds still, it’s going to be a zoo, people mountain-people sea kind of thing. Pity because the route is amazing, starting from Sanyi, the tunnels, etc… Luv trains, we don’t have 'em back home.

That route is awesome alright, seemingly also passes through/nearby Taian hot springs. The old destroyed Japanese bridge, Sanyi valley…atmospheric place, you can get the old Japanese logging time Taiwan feel, also have a look at some old hakka style farmhouses. Being a real Hakka homeland it has a different feeling than the plains areas. Better on weekdays if can be taken then.
Suggested itinerary is go to Houli, take a cycle along the converted line between Houli and Fengyuan that goes through the tunnel and over old railway bridge. Then later take the train up to SanYi and the final stop ‘ShengXing Station’ . There are lots of nice walks from there, still quite wild in parts. This ride is much more fun and interesting than the other lines mentioned in article, especially if it’s really a steam engine pulling the train.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2010/06/04/2003474641

[quote=“tommy525”]Yes I was recently (well last year) on it with me then GF. Lovely train ride a lot of fun. I have news for you. Its not STEAM driven. It just LOOKs like it is. Its a FAKE. :slight_smile: As well as a fake train.

This one is a REAL STEAM CHOO CHOO full sized. Now there are not many places in the world you can ride one.[/quote]

Ok update: I took this train again today, only for the second time and i specifically asked about the train. And I was wrong, it really does work with steam. The operators of this mini train actually built it themselves. They said it really does propel itself with steam. But it is not coal fired or wood fired. It is burning oil (can be kerosene or diesel) and the burning makes steam which propels the train, so it really is a steam train.

Just not coal fired. They said in the distant past they did have real coal fired trains that also can burn wood but it created a fire danger in the fire sensitive Berkeley hills.

Its a fun 12 minute ride ,goes about a mile and a quarter and is only 2bucks for an adult ticket. Worth it, if you are in the area.