Michael Jackson has died... may he rest in peace

Thinking about it, he’s partially responsible for a lot of the tripe that passes as music today. The highly choreographed, dancing/singing combo that the likes of Britney et al do has a direct link to MJ’s 1980s work. For that alone he deserves derision.

And if you’re going to die of a drug overdose related heart attack, the least you can do is make sure it’s a fun drug. :smiley:

'Aint THAT the truth! the tributes should read: "UNFORTUNATELY, a man who had a great influence on the dreadful state of the pop shite cynically marketed to small children and prepubsecents and laughingly described as “music.”

Ever hear that story about how he stayed in a hotel for days, with these kids, and when they left there was shit on the walls, and dried spunk on everything? Not a bad man, a nasty man.

One more soul for the devil to harvest.

'Aint THAT the truth! the tributes should read: “UNFORTUNATELY, a man who had a great influence on the dreadful state of pop music.”[/quote]
Bingo. Tunes reduced to a series of gestures.
Sometimes catchy; consistently soulless.

If his work was so meaningless, why have people all over the world been talking about it all day? Why the non-stop coverage?

We can have different tastes in music, but you can’t claim that a career that spanned 3 decades and defined a genre is insignificant.

I’m looking forward to seeing the collector’s edition Michael Jackson plastic dolls that should soon start to be made. It’s nice that they can use his remains for something other than just an urn-filler . . .

[quote=“CraigTPE”]If his work was so meaningless, why have people all over the world been talking about it all day? Why the non-stop coverage?

We can have different tastes in music, but you can’t claim that a career that spanned 3 decades and defined a genre is insignificant.[/quote]
No-one’s saying its insignificant. They’re saying its crap. He was a circus freak with a high profile, a nasty taste for young boys and a knack for performing silly songs and dances that lots of children and teenagers liked very much. As Dragonbones pointed out, if MacDonald’s went bust tomorrow it would receive massive coverage. Doesn’t mean a Big Mac is anything other than a pile of greasy shite, though.

[quote=“TomHill”]Ever hear that story about how he stayed in a hotel for days, with these kids, and when they left there was shit on the walls, and dried spunk on everything? Not a bad man, a nasty man.

One more soul for the devil to harvest.[/quote]

now that’s more like it :notworthy:

ok craig we get it you loved him, others don’t…personally i agree the guy was a musical genius and the wagner rule applies (love his (early) music, ignore the sick nazi philisophies).

anyway top ten MJ songs anyone?

no. 1 has to be “don’t stop till you get enough” followed closely by “blame it on the boogie” (ok including jackson 5 songs)

See what I mean? :astonished: The genre that taste forgot!

Not even close to The Beatles (all-time best sellers). And they’re still selling millions of records each and every year. Plus they actually wrote their own songs which to me puts the standards even higher.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be … ic_artists

Not to mention the things they didn’t do.

I have come to realise, now that he is dead, Michael Jackson was in fact the greatest human being that ever lived. As I grew up listening to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, SLF, AC/DC, Accept, the Smiths, and Deep Purple, Michael Jackson’s music had a profound effect on me, and my bowels. However, it cannot be denied that I was in fact wrong not to worship him for what he was, the greatest musical genius ever created by a record company since Donovan. Without Michael Jackson, many millions of people would not have spent £4.99 of their pocket money on an album called Thriller, and Rumours and Dark Side of the Moon would not have been pushed off the Best Selling Album of all time spot. The world would also have been bereft of silly little girly men for me and my 10-hole DM wearing friends to laugh at, and I thank Michael, or That Fuckin’ Daft Eejit Michael Jackson, as we lovingly referred to him, for brightening up those long winter walks to school in the snow when the bus used to break down and there was much “moonwalking” done by certain people.

A true beacon of light in a dark world of pain. I would go and put on one of his songs in memoriam, but I haven’t got any because they were all shite.

RIP Mikey.

never owned any of his albums, would change channel if a song of his came onto the radio (unusual, as the stations I listened to would not me seen dead playing his music), never had any friends who liked him or his music, never knew any of the words to his songs, never felt the slightest bit of attraction for his dancing, his saccharine pop, or his taste in boyfriends. Oh, I suppose I did know the tune of a couple of Jackson 5 songs, when he was still black.

But I suppose he was influential enough in his own way.

My favourite Michael Jackson moments are these three: when his hair caught on fire in the Pepsi commercial, when his plastic nose fell off, and when he dropped ‘his’ baby over the balcony. What a tool. Oh, and the time they did an autopsy on Rock Hudson and found Michael Jackson’s other glove deep in his colon.

So what are your favourite MJ memories?

Not even close to The Beatles (all-time best sellers). And they’re still selling millions of records each and every year. Plus they actually wrote their own songs which to me puts the standards even higher.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be … ic_artists[/quote]

…ah but he did write some of his songs incl. the aforementioned DSTYGE and Billie Jean…oh and he co-wrote “we are the world”.

For that alone, he should be held in everlasting contempt by anyone with a note in his head.

HEY! I know all the words to three Gary Glitter songs and all the changes. I don’t know any of the words to any Michael Jackson songs except “Ooh!”
I’m the man who put the bang in gang!

Love him or hate him, the guy made an impression on a lot of people and at least half of the six billion people on earth today know that he died. Thats an achievement in my book.

gee Tommy, Hitler killed six million Jews and was quite famous too when he died…that’s an achievement too… :sunglasses:

Love him, hate him or don’t rate him, more like.

“At the record company meeting
On their hands a dead star…”

Can’t get this bloody song out of my head now!!!

Luckily it’s quite good (i.e. not a Michael Jackson song)