Michelin Guide Taipei 2018

Actually, for whatever reason, the noodles in the two photos you posted (first from the Taipei Main Station branch, then the Songshan Station branch) are not the same: gung zai mien at the former, and lo mein at the latter (I strongly prefer the lo mein option!).

Guy

Proper Cantonese-style noodles are something that restaurants in Taiwan really seem to struggle with. They’re almost always a disaster.

Yes. And that is exactly why I like Hawker Chan, at least the Taipei Main Station branch. It’s head-and shoulders above the usual “Cantonese” food served here. And for that, I am willing to fork over NT$120, even as locals may grumble about this being “too expensive.”

Guy

1 Like

Yum. Hawker Chan.

20190506_111916

Try the Songshan Station branch.
Ordered Youji+ saurou fan + vegetables and tea.
Not exactly bad, but it is nothing special.
It feels like putting MLS in the same standard with EPL, Bundesliga or Primera Liga
Whoever put it inside the list must be on dope.

Damn good.

3 Likes

you are right across Tpe Main Station.
that meal mustv cost an arm and a leg

NT$280

I trust michelin only in Tokyo and Europe - everywhere else is garbage.

If you cut out the nonsense side dishes and drink, it costs NT$120. It’s worth every dollar. : D

Guy

I lined up for that place not long after it opened in Taipei. Waited for more than half an hour. It was good but not worth waiting in line for. Is there still a line to get in these days?

No line! Every time I have been there, I have walked right in.

Btw, the Singapore original hawker stand is best know for its rice, but here in Taipei the lo mien option is in my opinion far better.

Enjoy!

Guy

1 Like

Hawker Chan Taipei station closed as I predicted. Others also closed.

101 basement location has now bastardized their Hong Kong style into Taiwan style.

1 Like

That’s what happens when the Singapore guys can’t be there to oversee operations. Everything goes straight down the toilet. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy