Michelin Guide Taipei/Taichung 2020

The folks at Michelin have just announced their “Bib Gourmand” list for 2020. This year they have included winners from Taipei as well as Taichung, the first time the latter has been included. I have no idea how they traveled around to determine these awardees given the ongoing pandemic.

The Bib Gourmand series lists places that offer value for your money. For the Taiwan results, this means you can have a fine meal for less than NT$1000. Official results from the Michelin website appear here:

The formal list of starred restaurants will be announced on August 24.

As more results appear, feel free to post them here in this thread.

Bon appetit!

Guy

1 Like

Focus Taiwan has also posted a story on the Bib Gourmand winners:

Guy

Michelin must have recruited some inspectors in Taiwan. That would be a cool gig. Is anyone here one?

I can neither confirm nor deny being an inspector. : D

Guy

1 Like

Restaurant lists:

source:

3 Likes

I am a fan of Dian Shui Lou on the list

http://www.dianshuilou.com.tw/

1 Like

Documentary about RAW’s exec chef starts this week:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZVA73RFI8I

The results for 2020 are now out, with 26 starred restaurants in Taipei and 4 starred restaurants in Taichung:

Guy

1 Like

Anyone tried any of these? I feel like it’s more about them growing into the Asia market than anything else. I’m happy to be wrong though. I’m sure some deserves 1 star. 2 stars is to me another level I have a hard believing all these places just got it.

A-Cut is quite good, probably my favorite steak place.

1 Like

A cut is good. I tried it as well.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s worth 1 star though. Idk, maybe it improved even more. It’s been some time since I went. Maybe 2 years ago now. The price is pretty ridiculously high.

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with it at 1 star. I tend not to factor cost, I probably should, but for western food that’s tough to do here at these levels IMO. Anyway, it’s always very good and the service has been excellent too.

1 Like

Its the best steak I’ve had in Taiwan hands down. But I’ve had just as good or better for cheaper in places that don’t even have a star.

Maybe I should check out some of the ones on the list and give them a chance. The restaurant scene definitely has improved in Taiwan. It’s good to have more and more good ones.

1 Like

Some forumosans are well aware of the many differences between Taipei and Taichung. Yet how do these differences play out in the respective ciy’s fine dining? In a fascinating piece, Commonwealth Magazine walks us through Taichung’s inaugural Michelin award winners to try to find out:

Guy

2 Likes