Microaggressions, whitey's new source for manufactured outrage

[quote=“pb”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]This new habit of tagging everything bad that happens in our life in Taiwan as a ‘microaggression’ is becoming ridiculous. I realize that guy in Japan wrote a compelling article that many of us can relate to, but I just can’t buy into every stupid thing that happens here that I may not particularly like to be some nefarious plan to annoy or intimidate me by the collective masses.
[/quote]

FWIW the term “microaggresion” was proposed in article “Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life” authored by Asian American
psychologytoday.com/blog/mic … ryday-life

The gist of it is that there is no “nefarious plan”. The “aggression” is subconscious.

BTW another view on it (another expat living in Japan)
kotaku.com/5907242/you-can-use-c … ome-people

What I find ironic is that it somehow is valid for Asian Americans living in US but not for “whiteys” in Taiwan.[/quote]
You should read the article and the research. Calling this scientific is like calling “The Outliers” and its pop psych a real contribution to understanding success.

[quote=“pb”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]This new habit of tagging everything bad that happens in our life in Taiwan as a ‘microaggression’ is becoming ridiculous. I realize that guy in Japan wrote a compelling article that many of us can relate to, but I just can’t buy into every stupid thing that happens here that I may not particularly like to be some nefarious plan to annoy or intimidate me by the collective masses.
[/quote]

FWIW the term “microaggresion” was proposed in article “Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life” authored by Asian American

The gist of it is that there is no “nefarious plan”. The “aggression” is subconscious.

What I find ironic is that it somehow is valid for Asian Americans living in US but not for “whiteys” in Taiwan.[/quote]

No, I don’t give a fuck if it is a Martian complaining about the treatment he received on Pluto, it is whinging’s finest hour, and it is most certainly not applicable in the way foreigners are dealt with by Taiwanese.
Interpersonal relations with strangers are often hostile, life is often hostile, and the only thing that keeps this hostility muted are the social graces we are taught (and these differ from culture to culture). We are in a hurry, we are in competition, we are looking out for number one, and many of the people we deal with are in the same boat. There will be friction, it is human nature, but what chaps my ass is the fact that we have gotten to a level where we take very benign behaviors and reactions by a very polite (although sometimes overtly direct) society, twist them and repackage them in a manner where we can feel offended. That is self-serving BS.

If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.

:thumbsup: Seems like a no-brainer to me.

:thumbsup: Seems like a no-brainer to me.[/quote]
+1. :thumbsup:

I’ve come to the conclusion that “microaggression” bothers some people, and doesn’t bother other people.

That’s such an aggressive thing to say! Shame on you! :no-no:

Now you’ve made me angry with your chabudouness! I’ve lost face! I challenge you to a duel at dawn with tea eggs!

I choose chopsticks. I can use them!

There is also the consideration that it may or may not actually exist (as a subset of aggression, if at all).

Until enough people get upset enough about this construct then it’s just a microconstruct. :smiley:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“pb”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]This new habit of tagging everything bad that happens in our life in Taiwan as a ‘microaggression’ is becoming ridiculous. I realize that guy in Japan wrote a compelling article that many of us can relate to, but I just can’t buy into every stupid thing that happens here that I may not particularly like to be some nefarious plan to annoy or intimidate me by the collective masses.
[/quote]

No, I don’t give a fuck if it is a Martian complaining about the treatment he received on Pluto, it is whinging’s finest hour, and it is most certainly not applicable in the way foreigners are dealt with by Taiwanese.
Interpersonal relations with strangers are often hostile, life is often hostile, and the only thing that keeps this hostility muted are the social graces we are taught (and these differ from culture to culture). We are in a hurry, we are in competition, we are looking out for number one, and many of the people we deal with are in the same boat. There will be friction, it is human nature, but what chaps my ass is the fact that we have gotten to a level where we take very benign behaviors and reactions by a very polite (although sometimes overtly direct) society, twist them and repackage them in a manner where we can feel offended. That is self-serving BS.

If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.[/quote]
Yes, indeed!

[quote=“pb”]

Maybe because this ‘microaggression’ theory was developed in the context of multicultural U.S. society, with all its baggage of racial oppression, segregation, etc. Applying it to the largely ‘monoracial’ societies of Taiwan or Japan is misguided. Taiwan is something like 98% Han Chinese folks, so yes, whitey does stick out like a sore thumb, and there is no way you can realistically expect to integrate here like an immigrant or racial minority in North America. Your foreignness will always be the #1 thing people notice about you, and you will get approached by curious and (thankfully) friendly people because, guess what, they don’t see your kind around these parts too often pardner. :cactus: