Microsoft Frontpage: tag correspondence

When I am working in Microsoft Frontpage setting up a webpage, sometimes I work in the text mode, sometimes in the HTML mode, and of course I copy text in from other sources.

With all the TAGS that are inserted into the webpage, whether automatically or manually, is there any way to run the whole page through some time of TESTING PROGRAM to see if the tags are aligned properly??

Certainly there must be some technological way to accomplish this task?

To find out if your code is valid – and it almost certainly won’t be if you’re using Frontpage, which is responsible for more badly coded pages than anything else in existence – check the World Wide Web Consortium’s HTML Validation Service.

The most useful free tool for getting your pages into shape is HTML Tidy, which is, if possible, even more wonderful than Frontpage is evil. If you have Chinese in your pages, you’ll need to make sure the character encoding is set to “raw” (or UTF-8, as appropriate) or your characters will come out as garbage.

I went to http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ and downloaded the latest version of the sourcecode for HTML Tidy, which is apparently a ZIP file.

However, now when I click on this file, and try to do the UNZIP process with WinZip (which is a program that is already installed on my computer, written by someone with the name “William Gates”), I get an error message that this is not a WinZip file (the programmer “William Gates” provides no further instructions at this point).

What to do???

http://jidanni.org/ is an example of a site that I now maintain with
the aforementioned html-tidy and validator. Learning some simple HTML
was easy compared to the effort it took to clean it up after being on
FrontPage drugs. As I have also ditched the micro$oft drugs, I can’t
help you unzip your file.

Anyways, write your webpages by hand unless you want it to become an
uncontrollable bloated mess. See www.anybrowser.org

Hi:

That file (HTML Tidy) you can unzip only if you have Winzip version 8, but anyway I don’t think it’s useful for you because what you get is the source code in “C” programming language

Basically the file is compress in *.tgz format, then in *.tar format, which is pretty standard Unix compression format

Cheers,

Richard,

You might find the TidyGUI version of the program easier.

Its disadvantages are that it can process but one file at a time and that it’s based on a now old version of HTML Tidy. (Dan can probably speak much more knowledgeably than I about its limitations.) But it should be OK for your needs.