Microsoft Frontpage under Explorer and Netscape

Is it true that webpages built with Microsoft Frontpage are properly seen under Microsoft Internet Explorer but show up with “problems” under Netscape?

I have heard some rumors about this, and wonder what others’ experiences have been. I am considering setting up a new website and have access to Microsoft Frontpage here. So I was thinking of using that to do the webpages.

Most of my webpages will be very simple listings of data.

Frontpage used to produce non-standard html code. I know a lot of people who use Dreamweaver, which seems to produce much more standard HTML code. If the code is standard, it has a better chance of working on both Netscape (really Mozilla now) and IE. I still say there’s no substitute for knowing how to code by hand. There are a million free tutorials on the web.

Have fun

I agree with Feiren.

FrontPage generates nasty code. But as simple as your stie will be, it may not be a bad idea to go ahead and use it if you are not into learning HTML.

I also would not sugget Dreamweaver, as that is a very serious package for professional Web page design. That would take some time to learn.

One alternative is to use the free “Composer” module of Netscape 7. Go here to download it:

channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp

It is a simple, no-frills Web page creation tool that generates code that is more standard across platforms and browsers.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy’s suggestion (use the Mozilla/Netscape Composer module) is better.

I went to the page Jeremy suggested but I only found a download button for the entire fifty-two megabyte Netscape 7.0 program.

Can I just download the “composer” module?

What is the URL for that?

[quote=“Hartzell”]I went to the page Jeremy suggested but I only found a download button for the entire fifty-two megabyte Netscape 7.0 program.

can I just download the “composer” module?

What is the URL for that?[/quote]
Unfortunately you’d have to get the whole Netscape package for that. However, during the install, the installer will ask you which packages to install (which also determines what’s being downloaded); you select “composer” at that point.

[quote=“scchu”]
Unfortunately you’d have to get the whole Netscape package for that. However, during the install, the installer will ask you which packages to install (which also determines what’s being downloaded); you select “composer” at that point.[/quote]

Actually, there is a beta version of a stand-alone composer called composer++ that’s not yet made it into the Mozilla or Netscape package. It is more feature complete though. I haven’t try it to see how stable it is. But my guess is it should be usable.

http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/danielglazman/composer/composer++.html

Richard,

Frontpage isn’t bad for beginners. It’s an easy way to learn to edit freehand in the html view. I think if you already have it on hand, why not just go ahead and use it and also learn how to read the code and edit it yourself. www.webmonkey.com has pretty good tutorials IMO.