Microsoft office -- english version

I believe that you can download the 30-day trial version of Office in English and during installation apply the Chinese key and it will work, at least with 2007 since you automatically enter trial mode if you skipped entering the key at the beginning.

This is true at least for MSDN licenses and ISO’s that you can obtain directly from Microsoft if you pay the fees and join their developer’s network. I used to be a member (until this year when I could not longer justify paying them the fees in this economy) and they issued one key per product, and you could simply choose whatever version and language you want.

It also works for Office 2008. I left the 2008 disc back in the States when I moved here and had to reinstall after upgrading to Snow Leopard. Thankfully I wrote down the key and just downloaded the 30-day trial to reinstall it to full.

The shop PC Mart at the Guang Hwa computer market in Taipei has English versions of Microsoft Office, Windows 7, etc. That’s where I bought mine. They have several different versions available too. If you pick up an OEM one, it’s considerably cheaper.

[quote=“jashsu”]Beta test Office 2010 Professional:
microsoft.com/office/2010/en … fault.aspx
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Thanks mate!

I THOUGHT I was sold a genuine OEM @ the store in the basement of GuangHua, thus when installing the Genuine advantage tool from MS earlier on, I got the warning that MS office seems not to be genuine.

Question arises if they became so clever to know if an OEM version is not installed on a designated hardware…

Well, I am OK with the 2010 Beta for a while till …

Google “microsoft oem bios slp slic” to read about OEM version software and how it checks against a certificate table in the BIOS.

There’s always Office 2010 Starter if you don’t want to pay for full Office.

OK I see…
So, the advise woul be not to buy OEM versions anymore if understood correctly?

I could continue working on my Office 2007 OEM version however…
It was not like wtih a real cracked version that the package went to 'read only" mode …

[quote=“ceevee369”]OK I see…
So, the advise woul be not to buy OEM versions anymore if understood correctly?

I could continue working on my Office 2007 OEM version however…
It was not like wtih a real cracked version that the package went to 'read only" mode …[/quote]
I have no experience with OEM versions of Office, so I couldn’t really say one way or another myself. However, if you want to be able to pass WGA, consider two things: 1) Ask the shopkeeper if the version is a legit version or not. 2) Is the price too good to be true? Now, it is true you can get some very good pricing on software legitimately. If the shop is selling a software package for half price but you can also find legitimate versions for half price online, then you can probably rest a little easier.

If any of you have a student email account ending in .edu.tw and are currently registered you can get Office 2007 Ultimate for NT$2000 from Microsoft.

I’m not sure if ShiDa’s MLC program counts though.

microsoft.com/student/discou … fault.aspx

The site is in Chinese though, and presumably the download is also in Chinese.

[quote=“Joesox”][quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“ceevee369”]Just GREAT tip from Miltownkid. :notworthy:
Openoffice is as good as MS Office as I tried a few things.
No No, no can do this time Mr. Gates :raspberry:[/quote]
Yeah, I don’t do any serious editing and it MORE than gets the job done for me. I decided not to put a pirated copy of MS Office on my machine the lst time I formatted it and have been using OO ever since.

For people who just need to write papers and stuff I think it’s perfect. There are also people that use it professionally, but it can be combersome when you need to exchange a lot of documents with people that do use MS Office (that’s what I hear anyway).

Hopefully that will change in the future. It’s pretty stupid that something as simple as a text document doesn’t have a standard format. A freaking text file! :noway:[/quote]My father’s wife is a professional translator and she found that Open Office documents that she sent to clients would not always turn out right when they opened them in Microsoft Office. Since then she has bought MS Office and has had no more compatibility problems.[/quote]

Seriously considering this, since I’m in the throes of being converted to whatever-the current-MShite-is-thats-incompatible-with-my-previous-10Gb-of-MShite.

The “Fuck-You-Customers” arrogance of releasing an “upgrade” with a completely different interface and an incompatible file format really deserves a “Fuck-You-Microsoft” riposte.

I do exchange files a lot, (with proofreading “customers” and students), though, so it’ll cause me grief, but I’ve already got grief, in spades.

I just got 2010, very good software package! Outlook has improved a massive amount.
I downloaded it off the site and got the English version after e-mailing them for the link . 2007 is probably the most widely compatible still though.

I just got the Home and Student Office 2010 for 5200NT at a shop in the Guanghua area on Bade road. At another place I got Windows 7 for 3600NT. So I’m all setup and totally legit. I cannibalized my old computer and took out the hard drive and the RAM. I got 4 MB now and it’s faster. Microsoft has a free virus scanner now, so I don’t need to use AVG anymore.

This is important. Does the curent English Version of Office include that Chinese Punctionation Bar that sits convienantly on the bottom of your document? Because the punctuation is different and the way the quotation marks behave is so different from English it sure makes touch typing much easier.

Is that punctuation bar avaiable in open office aswell. I can’t seem to find it. I believe to get this functionality, I have to download the Chinese (Localized) version of open office. This I’m trying to avoid. For typing, Chinese is fine for formatting, I have a hard time. with the chinese menus.

When I was installing Windows, I chose the Taiwanese keyboard. So sometimes when I’m typing, I’ll hit the shift key and it will start showing the bopomofa. Kind of a pain, but nice to know it’s available.

Dig dig.

I need to purchase Microsoft Office (in English) for my home computer. Where to cop?

By the way, it’s a Mac. Unfortunately.

Have you tried the Office 365 subscription online?

1 Like

Not sure how to purchase it online since I don’t (can’t) have a credit card.

1 Like

English is easy. Now they do a code thing instead of a disk. I got mine at elife mall - 全國電子 but anywher in Guanhua Computer market should hook you up.

1 Like

Yup, I started using the Office 365 subscription a couple of years ago … oh, but with no credit card, that’ll be tricky.

I didn’t realize they sold software. I’ll check my local branch.

I know I could probably find it at Guanghua but I’m hoping to avoid crowded shopping areas for the time being…

I got my MS Office from https://www.promokeys.net/. Very cheap & online validation, etc., was all successful.

Try buying Office 365 Online and see how it goes - Debit Card might work.

1 Like