Mid-Management Laowai Falsely Accuse Teacher: WWUD

As much as I detest the parasitic laoban class of Taiwan, the middle management foreigners that populate the buxicon can be far worse.

A situation for you to consider wuwd (what u would do):

A couple of these mid manglers conspired to set up a teacher on sexual harassment charges. The teacher was completely innocent as was later drunkenly admitted by one of the co-conspirators. They took a misunderstanding and tried to coerce the student into filing charges. Fortunately, the owner of the buxicon saw through the ploy and the teacher was apologized too and begged to continue being employed (he was ready to quit) by said institute.

The raison d’etre of the false accusation turned out to be fear for their positions. The teacher was a far superior mind to their own and they were worried that he would be promoted above themselves. Pretty nasty stuff.

So…wwud?

What is a laoban class and buxicon?

The people who set up the teacher are foreigners? From where? It’s hard to imagine a foreigner caring so much about their position vis-a-vis someone else’s in a Taiwan ‘buxicon’. I don’t know if I understand.

Have you immersed yourself in local culture to such an extent that irony and sarcasm now elude you?

Have you immersed yourself in local culture to such an extent that irony and sarcasm now elude you?[/quote]
shrug I don’t get it.
What is a laoban?

A “lao ban” is a boss.

A “buxicon” is a play on words, a combination of buxiban (cram school) and con artist. It’s a term that reflects my opinion of the industry in that it’s all a scam perpetuated on idiotic parents.

ymmv

A “laoban” is a boss.

A “buxicon” is a play on words, a combination of buxiban (cram school) and con artist. It’s a term that reflects my opinion of the industry in that it’s all a scam perpetuated on idiotic parents.

ymmv[/quote]

Ah, thanks. I understand now.
But still I don’t understand why foreigners would go to such lengths…

A “laoban” is a boss.

ymmv[/quote]

But still I don’t understand why foreigners would go to such lengths…[/quote]

Give it time young jedi…like I said, they admitted to being fearful for their positions of “power”. This teacher was a rising star within that company. They tried to steal his ideas and when he wouldn’t play ball with them, they created this fiction to attempt to oust him. So, wwud?

[quote=“Toe Save”]
Give it time young jedi…like I said, they admitted to being fearful for their positions of “power”. This teacher was a rising star within that company. They tried to steal his ideas and when he wouldn’t play ball with them, they created this fiction to attempt to oust him. So, wwud?[/quote]

Depends on who I was. The teacher? The ‘laoban’? The scheming foreigners?

[quote=“Toe Save”]As much as I detest the parasitic laoban class of Taiwan, the middle management foreigners that populate the buxicon can be far worse.

A situation for you to consider wuwd (what u would do):

A couple of these mid manglers conspired to set up a teacher on sexual harassment charges. The teacher was completely innocent as was later drunkenly admitted by one of the co-conspirators. They took a misunderstanding and tried to coerce the student into filing charges. Fortunately, the owner of the buxicon saw through the ploy and the teacher was apologized too and begged to continue being employed (he was ready to quit) by said institute.

The raison d’etre of the false accusation turned out to be fear for their positions. The teacher was a far superior mind to their own and they were worried that he would be promoted above themselves. Pretty nasty stuff.

So…wwud?[/quote]
Ha ha this jealousy thing is not that uncommon. Yah there are some scumbags in the Buxicon industry of all shapes, colors and nationalities.
A few years ago I was teaching an IELTS writing class. My classes were popular. At break time an English teacher spied on my class and then rushed down to tell the management that I had some terrible spelling mistakes written on the board. The boss came up and asked me about it not realizing that it was my students who had been writing on the board in the break time. When this was established the boss was ever so apologetic and the spying teacher crawled off like Smegal from Lord of the Rings. Incredible that I was only a part time teacher and posed no threat to his aspired for management position. Unfortunately I really enjoyed those classes but incidents like that made the atmosphere unbearable, so I left.

If it were me, I’d look for a new job and leave such the place with conniving/backstabbing colleagues unless it was a really good gig. If the owner realized this and now sided with me versus the evil colleagues, I’d tell him to show real support by giving him an ultimatum: me or the others.

On Dave’s ESL, there is a thread on a sexual harassment case at a nursing university in Taipei between a foreigner and a jilted xiaojie. He seems to be innocent but the admin is cluster fucking him to the extreme by delaying and drawing it out as long as possible. It’s been 2-3 years already and he’s still going through the procedures.

[quote=“Toe Save”].

So…wwud?[/quote]

So far it seems few have directly answered the OP.

I would bail. Period. But… I’d quietly bide my time while looking for a new gig and then – poof! I’d be gone. Wouldn’t even say goodbye. No point in trying to take it to the CLA or whatever funhouse of bureaucracy designed to deal with it, especially if a local laoban was involved. That stuff can backfire, really really quick and I’ve seen something similar happen in my own company. Like just about everything else foreigners can get themselves into, your best route is: keep your head down, mouth shut, eyes and ears wide open. Move on. Although I will say that if I was feeling particularly vindictive, I might – might – drop a smart bomb on my way out. E.g. Is the company 1000% legit? Are they cutting corners somewhere, like, for instance on taxes? Got any illegitimate kindy teachers? It’s a high risk move but it would depend on just how far down on their knees they got to show repentance. As for the laowai, they’re obviously not very adept at handling “firearms” so they’re destined to shoot themselves in the feet somewhere down the line. :2cents:

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Toe Save”].

So…wwud?[/quote]

So far it seems few have directly answered the OP.

I would bail. Period. But… I’d quietly bide my time while looking for a new gig and then – poof! I’d be gone. Wouldn’t even say goodbye. No point in trying to take it to the CLA or whatever funhouse of bureaucracy designed to deal with it, especially if a local laoban was involved. That stuff can backfire, really really quick and I’ve seen something similar happen in my own company. Like just about everything else foreigners can get themselves into, your best route is: keep your head down, mouth shut, eyes and ears wide open. Move on. Although I will say that if I was feeling particularly vindictive, I might – might – drop a smart bomb on my way out. E.g. Is the company 1000% legit? Are they cutting corners somewhere, like, for instance on taxes? Got any illegitimate kindy teachers? It’s a high risk move but it would depend on just how far down on their knees they got to show repentance. As for the laowai, they’re obviously not very adept at handling “firearms” so they’re destined to shoot themselves in the feet somewhere down the line. :2cents:[/quote]

Yes, he left and a major project they were undertaking failed. But he is not satisfied with waiting for karma to take its time. He wants to know how these a*#hats should be dealt with.

2nd question: What if one was well known in the community? Would you out him?

[quote=“Toe Save”]
2nd question: What if one was well known in the community? Would you out him?[/quote]
I would not. Lowering yourself and all that. He is already known to many people in the community.

[quote=“Toe Save”]

Yes, he left and a major project they were undertaking failed. But he is not satisfied with waiting for karma to take its time. He wants to know how these a*#hats should be dealt with. [/quote]
If he wants to go after them, let him but don’t actively urge him. Always best to let an opponent have a way out. Furthermore, if things go poorly, he can’t blame you for advising aggressive action.

Yes, definitely :popcorn: . The shame game is a powerful weapon but can lead to dialogue and discussion.

Nah, I wouldn’t out him. I would make a quit, silent dignified exit. Try to be as dignified as the situation allows, coz a lot of harm has already been done to my mind , no point prolonging or adding more misery to it.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Yes, he left and a major project they were undertaking failed. But he is not satisfied with waiting for karma to take its time. He wants to know how these a*#hats should be dealt with.

2nd question: What if one was well known in the community? Would you out him?[/quote]

You need to think of the consequences of doing so. But if you believe it’s the right thing to do then yes, out away.

As Sandman says the person seems to be well known in the community anyways.

A “laoban” is a boss.

ymmv[/quote]

But still I don’t understand why foreigners would go to such lengths…[/quote]

Give it time young jedi…like I said, they admitted to being fearful for their positions of “power”. This teacher was a rising star within that company. They tried to steal his ideas and when he wouldn’t play ball with them, they created this fiction to attempt to oust him. So, wwud?[/quote]

The same happens during wars … people side with the enemy to better there situation and profit from the victims … other nasty and similar things happen in any office, any industry, any workplace …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]

The same happens during wars … people side with the enemy to better there situation and profit from the victims … other nasty and similar things happen in any office, any industry, any workplace …[/quote]
how…profoundly…profound…that does not, however…excuse…racism…nor the incorrect use of…ellipses…

Two things I do for my own employment security:

I never reveal how something that they like is produced. Bosses will leave you alone and keep you hired just because they lack the technical expertise to recreate your assignments, projects, etc. I literally go to work, download the documents that I put in my public Dropbox the night before, print them, delete the files from their computer, and delete the file from my Dropbox. I have archives and archives of every single word list, electronic textbook, and worksheet that my companies ever stored. They have only what they can scavenge from other students – already completed homework documents. It took them about a month to stop trying at this place.

I always passively remind my bosses that I’m way more proficient in the English language than they will ever be. It’s as easy as asking a complex or detailed question to them in front of a parent.

Lastly, I’ve trained my students to do homework that my bosses could never complete as quickly as I could. Parents remain impressed (because they would struggle to do them, too), the bosses stay in the dark, and the students learn…peachy.

But if this scenario were presented to me…
[ol][li]I’d first tell them that I’d need extra compensation and/or a promotion to continue to work under such nasty conditions.[/li]
[li]If I were wise to the scheme, I’d be sure to record the conversations. Most cell phones have voice recorders on them. I’d be especially sure to record apologies from higher staff. I’d also demand a written apology from the guiltiest co-conspirator.[/li]
[li]If I were fired, I’d put all of it on the Internetz, particularly on forums involving parents of buxiban students or employees of buxibans, for great justice![/li]
[li]…[/li]
[li]Profit![/li][/ol]

Let me get this straight. A worker was falsely accursed of some serious charges. It caused him great pain and headache. He was framed by some middle management foreigners who were afraid for their positions.

At last one of the conspirators broke down and admitted wrong doing. The company acknowledges this informally and the accusations were withdrawn. The falsely accused person had since left the company but is not satisfied with the punishment or lack of punishment his accusers have faced.

Is that the story so far… Does he have any documentation to support his story? If so… he has no obligation to his former company… I’d report to every authority. Tell the story to everyone who has ears as long as it is true and he is not committing libel.Or… if you can sue for damages in exchange for keeping quiet… No black mail mind you… Court imposed silence… based on an agreement… That’ll do…

The truth is the truth and that is the best. I had some really extreme things to say about the truth but I deleted them. Seriously… this thing just shouldn’t have happened and the falsely accused teacher should not have had to go though it. He needs to be made “whole” this incident needs to be dealt with.