Mid-Range Taipei Hotels

Pictures prefaced ‘haocheng’ in the following album: public.fotki.com/Shimmertje/secret_taipei/

We stayed at the Hope hotel that was within walking distance of Songshan train station a few months back. Weeknights were NT$1800 for the jacuzzi room. Almost half the room consisted of bathroom, if you don’t mind that. Our package didn’t include breakfast. It’s likely they speak English.

61.222.148.235/English/

The Dynasty has been reopened as the Taipei Fullerton 41. Looks very nice from the outside. According to an add in a magazine I picked up a while ago, room rates are about $3000 - $3600 NT, probably not a bad deal if the rooms are as nice as the outside.

Anyone know what happened to the World Trade Hotel along Nanjing E Rd Sec 5? I wanted to check prices and their numbers either don’t work or there’s no answer (bad, bad…)

An update on the HaoCheng. There are 2 HaoChengs, one along Fushing and the other along Pateh. They’re called the Fushing HaoCheng and the Sungshan HaoCheng respectively and Fushing’s rooms are slightly cheaper. I made the mistake of simply asking for the HaoCheng when I last called their 0800 booking hotline (3/04) and was automatically given Fushing. The agent did mention Fushing HaoCheng but I thought it was just a new or fancier name for the place and didn’t think about it at the time. Luckily I checked and they kindly rebooked me into the Sungshan branch. I should have paid a little bit more on the deposit but they said it was OK, to just pay the difference when we turned up.

I also assumed that all rooms at the HaoCheng are the jacuzzi type. Most aren’t. The cheaper rooms are about the same size, including the bathroom, only they contain a standard rectangular bathtub instead of the jacuzzi tub.

Prices have also changed. It’s NT$1950 for an ordinary room at the Sungshan Haocheng on holidays (Friday, Saturday, Sunday all count at this higher rate), and it does NOT come with the jacuzzi. Apparently you have to specify the jacuzzi if you want it, there aren’t that many jacuzzi rooms, and it’s NT$220 more.