Midnight firecrackers

Anyone here will/have done this? ( I did in Hawaii many years ago, and ) . I have not done this recently but expect hear something in 15 minutes or so.

Have never done it and probably never will, but some of them are going off around Danshui right now. But is it particularly a midnight thing? I thought, unlike January 1, any time of night was fine.

You didn’t happen to be doing this in Hawaii new year’s, oh, 1978 or so? My parents would like a word with whoever kept their children awake and scared all night, to the extent that the hotel balcony was covered with the little red explosive leftovers the next morning. We’ve always thought it was the entire city of Honolulu, but if we can blame one person, we will.

2 Likes

fireworks going crazy. I have nothing to set off so I can’t join in the fun.

Usually if I hear this my counter is set off bigger stuff. 4" shells, huge cakes, etc. (which is not legal in Taiwan but people who knows people somehow manage to get them). Penalty is probably light because police can’t do anything about fireworks. It’s fire department who deals with it.

It’s not fun when you have young children trying to sleep, dogs who can’t handle the loudness and neighbors who think they are starting WWIII.

The crazy loud m9s have been going off non stop for an hour now.

Combined with bottle rockets every minute.

I hate this holiday.

4 Likes

Same here. The cats are going nuts.

There was karaoke mixed with some kind of opera/gospel singing/yodeling going on too.

At least the bang bang noises here are fireworks/firecrackers, not gun shots.

Oh and I forgot the smell: I am traumatized by fire and there is this burning stench all over. Dunno if it is from midnight baibai or the friggin explosives.

I always find them quite moderate here. I can hear a few going off (Gongguan/Hakka Park area) but nothing too troublesome.

I remember my first CNY in China though, that sounded like a movie about the first world war.

They were letting off heaps here at 01:30 yesterday in the pouring rain. Last night seemed to have less - maybe they had run out.

It stopped at about 2am where I am.

Now morning m9s are being set off. That started at about 6am.

I was at my boyfriend’s house Tuesday and Wednesday and we heard firecrackers/fireworks through the day and night. Occasionally he counted off “一百、兩百、三百…” with each explosion. I asked him what that was for, expecting some deep meaning. He sighed and rolled his eyes, “That’s how much money they’re blowing with each explosion.” Haha, I love his practicality.

7 Likes

In the elite Minsheng community there were zero fire crackers. Kinda disappointing.

2 Likes

Fireworks or firecrackers?

I don’t mind fireworks. At least you can enjoy watching those light up the sky.

But firecrackers are just annoyingly loud explosions.

3 Likes

My cats don’t mind the big ones that go BOOM. What freaks them out it the little ones that go rat-a-tat and the cheap bottle rockets that scream like the undead on crack.

4 Likes

Surprised to hear it’s raining there, it was a nice day here and a dry winter.

2 Likes

Any nice homes for rent nearby?

2 Likes

Yeah, there aren’t many pretty ones. Just loud.

When I watch people setting them off they don’t seem to be enjoying themselves either. They just look blank and going through the motions like burning ghost money.

Yeah, I was in a high-rise in Nanjing in 1967- good view of the whole city. You’d have thought there was an invasion.

1 Like

Why Mid-Autumn Festival is the only holiday I enjoy- no firecrackers!

Nothing cheap :joy:

1967? 54 years ago wow, a really long time ago.

1 Like

the_bear has come out of hibernation! :+1: