Might be coming back or just had a bad day?

I left a post earlier today in the business and money section describing my not too well thought out plan to return to Taiwan but I wonder how that has worked out with other people.

We are thinking of returning because at the end of the day like was easier and better for the children in Hsien dien. We had family close by and had more time to spend with the kids.
I made a lot less money but saved more and had a nicer computer, cheaper medical care and didn’t have near as many bills.

Has anyone returned to Taiwan with family and had it work out?
PS
Wifey is taiwanese and I am not.

I recall you saying that your wife earned a lot more in the states than she ever could in Taiwan… Do you think that might become an issue on your return?

Not really. All she does is work. The money is good but we seldom have time to do anything with it. We bought a season pass to an amusment park nearby and have only been twice this year.
I think she will get a better job in Tiawan than she had before. She will have her US passport and her English is much more fluent. She will make about a third of what she makes here but she will get to spend it on night market food so I think she will be happier.

I was planning to be back on the rock by now, but I’m still, still, dealing with passport issues for the boy. Someone in my government is trying VERY hard to make sure I don’t kidnap my son from a father who didn’t even request visitation in the divorce HE wrote, and whom I don’t know how to contact; who, in fact, I don’t even know how to contact. The man has moved to finland to sex up his missionary girlfriend and hasn’t spoken to his son for more than half his son’s life. But I have to, some how, prove that I’m not trying to kidnap my boy.

Sorry, guess I needed to rant.

Anyway, I was planning, yes, to move back with my (half Taiwanese) boy for all the reasons you list. And I was happy in Taiwan. But it looks like it will be another year, which means I may not actually move back, after all. I’ll visit, though, for sure.

Ah! Night market food! You’re gonna make me cry.

[quote=“dix2111”]Not really. All she does is work. The money is good but we seldom have time to do anything with it. We bought a season pass to an amusment park nearby and have only been twice this year.
I think she will get a better job in Tiawan than she had before. She will have her US passport and her English is much more fluent. She will make about a third of what she makes here but she will get to spend it on night market food so I think she will be happier.[/quote]

Is it specific issues with the US or is it that you are all missing Taiwan? No dig to the states here, but people who have returned to America have appeared to be unhappy with what they see when they get there. Could you guys stay in America and just work less?

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“dix2111”]Not really. All she does is work. The money is good but we seldom have time to do anything with it. We bought a season pass to an amusment park nearby and have only been twice this year.
I think she will get a better job in Tiawan than she had before. She will have her US passport and her English is much more fluent. She will make about a third of what she makes here but she will get to spend it on night market food so I think she will be happier.[/quote]

Is it specific issues with the US or is it that you are all missing Taiwan? No dig to the states here, but people who have returned to America have appeared to be unhappy with what they see when they get there. Could you guys stay in America and just work less?[/quote]

Just answering for myself, but I’m in the US and I don’t know ANYONE who could afford to work less. Of course, there’s maybe still some lifestyle issues to do with some of that, but it ain’t easy here, for sure.

Actually its funny… i feel the same way…

Came to Taiwan, and hated it and loved it at the same time… Just returned home to Canada, and I just hate it.

I cant figure out which is the lesser of two evils… :fume:

I told my wife when we left that you can never ever really go home again. The first time I left the states long term was in 1996. This is the longest I have ever been back. Islands have a way of drawing you back. Sorta like the show “lost”. You hate it and just want to get the heck off but once you leave you want to come back again.

And some of us never wanted to leave but were booted off !!

People in America work as much as Taiwan and have the perks i.e. none…what’s the difference…I heard most of you guys don’t even eat lunch these days, well at least the Americans I worked with…couldn’t understand that.
Anyway…it’s a different story ‘mostly’ if you come from Europe as there are a lot of perks such as 20-25 day holidays, relatively high pay, social welfare, 40hr working week you won’t get in Taiwan. Although I went back to my country in Europe recently and there were few opportunities due to economic crisis…I have now been offered a good position with a European company but based out this way…best of both worlds. Asia is where it’s at right now and that’s the truth.

Teachers- get a proper degree/diploma, go home for a while if needs me to get credentialed, later get a job in an international school, way better than working in US/West and make tonnes of money
Business people

• work as representative of foreign company and get paid in foreign currency but live cheap and no boss over your shoulder here…it’s good
  • hardly any regulation or tax in Taiwan so set up a business and go for it

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
Business people

• work as representative of foreign company and get paid in foreign currency but live cheap and no boss over your shoulder here…it’s good[/quote]

Any recommendations on how to search for such a job? Did you go back to your home country to search or do it from here in Taiwan?

I came back and started a family. I can tell you it is much easier to take care of them in comfort here in Taiwan than it would be in the States. I have an MBA from a good school; so does everyone else I would compete with for corporate work in the USA. I found that being able to speak Chinese is more valuable in Taiwan than it is in the US. We spend less here on taxes and medical insurance, and there are readily available back-up plans that would keep us financially viable if everything I do right now went to shit. For me, Taiwan is a much better place to take care of my family.

[quote=“peanut”][quote=“headhonchoII”]
Business people

• work as representative of foreign company and get paid in foreign currency but live cheap and no boss over your shoulder here…it’s good[/quote]

Any recommendations on how to search for such a job? Did you go back to your home country to search or do it from here in Taiwan?[/quote]

Hang around in bars close to international events or international hotels and chat to any lonely or distraught looking foreigners. You then have a chance to meet the ‘buyer’ or ‘engineers’ of oversea companies doing business in Taiwan.

If they are having a bad day dealing with a Taiwanese company, or there project is getting delayed due to the communication barrier you could be in with a shot of selling yourself as an ‘on the ground resource’. If the person is middle aged and hates traveling/being sent over to Taiwan to deal with the sh@# every few weeks they will be begging for you to work for them.

Every exec over here on business would love to have a resource on the ground doing the dirty work so they can have a stress-free life back in their home country…

[quote=“dan2006”]Actually its funny… i feel the same way…

Came to Taiwan, and hated it and loved it at the same time… Just returned home to Canada, and I just hate it.

I cant figure out which is the lesser of two evils… :fume:[/quote]

You have reverse culture shock. I suggest you take it easy and sip some beer.

[quote=“nivek”][quote=“peanut”][quote=“headhonchoII”]
Business people

Any recommendations on how to search for such a job? Did you go back to your home country to search or do it from here in Taiwan?[/quote]

Hang around in bars close to international events or international hotels and chat to any lonely or distraught looking foreigners. You then have a chance to meet the ‘buyer’ or ‘engineers’ of oversea companies doing business in Taiwan.

If they are having a bad day dealing with a Taiwanese company, or there project is getting delayed due to the communication barrier you could be in with a shot of selling yourself as an ‘on the ground resource’. If the person is middle aged and hates traveling/being sent over to Taiwan to deal with the sh@# every few weeks they will be begging for you to work for them.

Every exec over here on business would love to have a resource on the ground doing the dirty work so they can have a stress-free life back in their home country…[/quote]

Your odds are about as good as a bargirls !!! YOU may score or you may just be a whore. :slight_smile:

Be a plastic surgeon instead and make 1 cool MIL a year !!