Might leave my local teaching job for an online one, but what are the consequences?

Basically I’m just having a tough time at my job. I’m not sure if health problems are causing stress or stress is causing health problems, but I need to stop working at this job.

I have applied for and been accepted into some online tutoring positions (not-taiwanese based) which pay more than my current job anyway.

I would have to break the contract at my current job, and they would probably cancel my work permit and ARC. Will I then switch to the 90-day visa? Or would I have to leave the country and then re-enter immediately? Can I re-purchase health insurance by myself?

Thank you

You will need to leave Taiwan within 15 days of quitting. I think you can apply at the NIA for an extension of your ARC once you quit if they give you that paper when you leave. I think the extension is good for six months but you have to apply for it on the day you quit.

I don’t know how much you’re earning at your current school, but everyone I’ve heard from who has worked for online teaching companies has stated that they weren’t making great money and it was inconsistent. I stand corrected, I do recall one person who said that it worked for him. Every month or so I see a few adds for some company and they all claim to have thousands of students and you can make lots of money blablabla. You might be better off trying to find a better school if your current one is driving you crazy. They are out there.

If you are going to go a head with it, then why not move someplace where the cost of living is lower than Taiwan? Thailand?

You have a normal work permit? Good luck getting one for online teaching. :doh:

You can get a six month extension to look for work after you quit your job. Make sure you have the termination letter and go to the immigration agency as soon as possible.

Are you asking on NHI?
If the online company doesn’t give you a work permit, you cannot get an ARC. So, you cannot get NHI.

You need to weigh up quite carefully the stress levels if you continue working at your school compared to the stress involved in visa runs.

And to clarify, no-one is advising OP to work illegally, right?

:police_car:

Right?

:idunno:

1 Like

What do you mean by work illegally?
Sell drugs, go shoplifting, rob people, be a hit-man, burglary?

Working without a work permit.

I see!
In this case, I suggest the OP the second in the row. There is a chance that Mundraub was translated into Taiwanese law.

Sorry, what?

Deleted accordingly.

1 Like

Good boy!
What can we suggest the OP to do, so he won’t end up unemployed, out of funding, sick, sick and unemployed, on a waiting list for deportation, in ripped clothing on the MRT shouting at everyone, on youtube etc.

My suggestion, keep your job and work according to the law.
Kids are running and shouting, not your problem. Do what you can do by law, tell them to be good. Turn to the whiteboard and continue the lesson.
When you are sick, go to the hospital and get a hospital statement.
Don’t do any extra work for the school.
When they finally fire you, challenge it in court. This way you will have a visa extension.
During that time, try to find a better job.
Or like suggested above, reduce the hours to 14 per week and find additional ways to fund your living/life. That includes retirement.
What ever you do, don’t end up shoplifting, robbing people, burgling etc. like other people do/did on this site.

Why, how, and how long does the OP want to stay without a job supporting an ARC? Because of lower living costs or better living environments than OP’s home country?

Medical cost here might be affordable even without a NHI, or a private insurance can be an option. Visa run to HK might not be much expensive, but it’s for every 90 days.

If the OP is a spouse of a Taiwanese citizen, it’s a different story.

the op said the online teaching job was not teaching Taiwanese nor was a Taiwanese company? or thats what i guess he meant, he didn’t really give a whole lot of details. if thats the case its fine for visa runs but i doubt the lifestyle is going to be less stressful, infact it might be more so as its a far less secure life.

I interviewed with some of those online companies a few years ago, they nickel and dime you to death and they don’t offer standard hours in many cases.
Better to mix and match.

2 Likes

Government would not catch it, but is it legal?

sure if you are not teaching people in taiwan. you may be taxed though.

1 Like

We’ve been over this before. Kindly show us where it is written that this kind of work is work permit-exempt. :tumble:

1 Like