Milan police in Chinatown clash

Pretty weird…I had no idea there were this many mainland Chinese in Milan…and they were so excitable!

[quote]Milan police in Chinatown clash
Last Updated: Friday, 13 April 2007, 01:00 GMT 02:00 UK
By David Willey, BBC News, Rome

Italian riot police have broken up a violent protest in Milan’s Chinatown by scores of Chinese immigrants.

About 10 police officers were injured and a similar number of Chinese people received hospital treatment.

The trouble began when a Chinese woman was fined for illegally transporting goods in a private vehicle.

More than 100 Chinese shopkeepers and members of their families, many waving the national flag, massed in the street claiming racial discrimination.

Baton charge

During the unrest, which lasted until nightfall, a car was overturned and the police carried out a baton charge. The woman was arrested and later admitted to hospital.

The Chinese immigrant community in Italy has grown very rapidly during the past 10 years.

Normally, they keep a very low profile and cause little trouble to the authorities.

According to official statistics, there are about 114,000 Chinese currently living in Italy, but the true figure is probably double this number because of widespread illegal immigration.

In Milan alone, the resident Chinese population has more than doubled to about 12,000 in about 10 years. Other cities with a large Chinese community include the capital, Rome, and Prato, in Tuscany, where Chinese workers are employed in the textile dyeing industry.

In Rome and Milan wholesale distributors of goods made in China occupy entire quarters of the two cities. It was the noise and traffic caused by these businesses which sparked off the rioting in Milan.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6550725.stm[/quote]

Where do they think they are…France?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
Where do they think they are…France?[/quote]

Indeed.
However, I’m sure they’ve got lots of gripes about the noodles as well. Yet, how can one take them seriously if they wave such a shite flag as either the PRC or the ROC. Most flag wavers should be regarded with extreme suspiscion, esp. if they are overseas. Overcompensation for the frail & fragile egos while in a foreign land. Uberalles…

I actually myself prefer the North of Italy. I’m sure they’d face much more discrimination, culinary or otherwise further on down south.

Still, I think they fared rather well. My money would have been on Carabinieri one, uppity China nationalists nil.

HG

Agree on that choice. Brescia and all the Lombardy area are my choices for Italy.
Fiorenze and Tuscany is of course beautiful; but I just like the morthern areas of Italy better.

The chinese immigration in Italy is becoming a huge problem according to a documentary I saw on dutch TV … they are stealing jobs and causing many Italian businesses having to shut down due to false competition and copying of original designs from local Italian fashion designers.

TC

I often go to the Northern Part of Italy

It struck me how Italy has changed so much in the recent years.

Chinese are everywhere to be seen. In the smallest town you see them in markets selling their clothes.

Last year, I stopped in Padua, where I had not been for a long time, for a couple of hours and a coffee. Every bartender was owned by chinese people in downtown Padua.

Italian people do not really like that. They sometimes speak with as harsh words of the chinese as of the muslims probably because the chinese are taking the jobs they were doing so well (clothes manufacturing and bartenders)

You mean they’re settling in like the natives?

HG

BP & SharLee -
Wow…I had no idea of this situation.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]You mean they’re settling in like the natives?

HG[/quote]

No, they are ‘chinesing’ the place …

First they took the textile business, now they are working to take over the shoe market. leather too … stealing italian designs, copy them and manufacture in china for export to italy

[quote=“SHARLEE”]Every bartender was owned by chinese people in downtown Padua.

Italian people do not really like that. [/quote]

Hardly surprising they don’t like it very much. Sad to see slavery making a comeback albeit in a somewhat bizarrely specific way.

BroonAutopista

[quote=“BroonAle”][quote=“SHARLEE”]Every bartender was owned by chinese people in downtown Padua.

Italian people do not really like that. [/quote]

Hardly surprising they don’t like it very much. Sad to see slavery making a comeback albeit in a somewhat bizarrely specific way.

BroonAutopista[/quote]

:slight_smile: My mistake of course every bar (or coffee shop) was owned by chinese people
Not my mother language sorry

However sadly, slavery still exists

[quote]
100 Poles freed from slavery in Italy

ASSOCIATED PRESS

July 20, 2006

ROME – Authorities have freed about 100 Polish farmworkers who were forced into virtual slavery in southern Italy, police said yesterday. Italian and Polish police arrested 25 people involved in the human-trafficking ring that brought the workers to Italy.

The arrests Tuesday capped a six-month investigation, Italian prosecutor Lorenzo Lerario said in Bari, a city in southeast Italy on the Adriatic Sea.

In Warsaw, Polish national police chief Marek Bienkowski said, “Gangsters working in Poland recruited people looking for seasonal jobs picking fruit and vegetables in Italy through announcements in local newspapers.”

He said workers had to pay travel costs and a one-time work-finders fee of up to $280. Once in Italy, their situation quickly deteriorated. The workers were promised $6.30 to $7.50 per hour, but received only $1.25 an hour, Bienkowski said.

The farmworkers were kept in barracks with horrible sanitary conditions and had to pay for room and board, which pushed most of them into debt.

Three Poles, two Ukrainians and one Algerian ran the “labor camps,” Bienkowski said, and even called one another “kapo,” the term used at Nazi concentration camps for inmate-guards. Workers who resisted reportedly were forced into prostitution, raped and beaten, Bienkowski said.

“A few of the workers committed suicide,” he added.

The 25 members of the suspected ring were charged with human trafficking and deprivation of freedom. [/quote]

signonsandiego.com/uniontrib … italy.html

Still, I think they fared rather well. My money would have been on Carabinieri one, uppity China nationalists nil.

HG[/quote]

Whilst the Chinese went to hospital, the Italians went home with tears in their eyes

“Mamma! Looka whatada Chinaman did!”

The Ultravox of Chinese nationalism has spoken…

The Ultravox of Chinese nationalism has spoken…[/quote]

I wonder how many of them did this?