Miles Per Gallon math

I rode 160km using 11 liters of fuel (I think).

How many miles per gallon is that?

I’m calculating about 33mpg. But that seems really low for my bike which is supposed to be from 40-60mpg.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I rode 160km using 11 liters of fuel (I think).

How many miles per gallon is that?

I’m calculating about 33mpg. But that seems really low for my bike which is supposed to be from 40-60mpg.[/quote]

11 liters=2.9 gallons
160 km=96 miles

So, 33 mpg is right by my calculations too.

I think I remembered the price of gas wrong the first time. So when I divided the price of one liter into the total…it was wrong.

I wrote everything down at the gas station today. And I’m getting 47mpg, now. Which is fine by me.

With all my upper level math, i kept trying to do it all in one step… never worked. :loco:

I just did the math for my scooter. I get about 64 mpg on it.

For those of you who want to do the math…all you need to do is convert the liters used to gallons…and the kilometers traveled to miles…then divide the miles traveled by the gallons used. I think.

For example I traveled 72 miles on 1.12 gallons. So 72 divided by 1.12 = 64ish…so 64mpg. right?

Anyway here are the links for the conversions you’ll need to do:

onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm <— km to miles

cooks.com/rec/convert/ <------ Liters to Gallons

or you could just use this nifty fuel consumption converter… :sunglasses:

http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html

[quote=“plasmatron”]or you could just use this nifty fuel consumption converter… :sunglasses:

http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html[/quote]

Cool thanks…now I can have a new hobby…keeping track of the mileage on all my vehicles and comparing them. AS IF I WASN’T COOL ENOUGH BEFORE!!!

Hehe, thanks for the link.

<edit: it seems to not work most of the time…giving me a NaN in most of the fields. I’ll try it again later>

No worries… you joke, but I know someone who’s keeps an excel file with a spreadsheet of the fuel consumption and milage of every tank of gas he’s put into his bike for the last XX years, but then he is an engineer… I guess it’s a valid enough diagnostic method of sorts, but, personally I just couldn’t be bothered… :smiley:

don’t click on the “Derive” button… just enter the fields you have and click anywhere on the black area of the screen… should work fine…

Yep, I’ve got a friend whose dad has kept track of the mileage difference between each fill up for the last 10 years or so on his car. He records each and every fill up. Has a big ass notebook in the car with pages upon pages of mpg stats. :loco:

Ahh, yes…I see the “derive” button is evil. You just click on the black…and use the reset button. Got it.

Are those Imperial gallons or US gallons? :wink: