Military duty

A TW friend is married to a US wife and has 1 boy. The kid is in the household registry attending a local elementary school. They want to move to US after he finishes the elementary school. How can he do that? What are the legal requirements, etc?

Is it true that if the kid is a girl, then they can just leave?

Any help is much appreciated.

The child would want to get an ROC passport first.

If the child is in elementary school, or below, it should not be any problem to leave Taiwan.

As far as I am aware, “travel restrictions” on males only apply to those persons already in their teens … (although I am not exactly sure of the exact age.)

[quote=“netuser”]A TW friend is married to a US wife and has 1 boy. The kid is in the household registry attending a local elementary school. They want to move to US after he finishes the elementary school. How can he do that? What are the legal requirements, etc? Is it true that if the kid is a girl, then they can just leave?

Any help is much appreciated.[/quote]

Well the father and son would need to apply for permanent residency for the USA. However, you wrote “married to a US wife”. Do you mean his wife is a Citzen of the USA? If so then she she register her son as a Citizen of the USA at the AIT in Taipei.

The wife should approach the AIT to start getting all thepaper work done.

The title thread is wrong. This thread should also be moved to the visa section. It has nothing to do with the Military Duty.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Well the father and son would need to apply for permanent residency for the USA. However, you wrote “married to a US wife”. Do you mean his wife is a Citzen of the USA? If so then she she register her son as a Citizen of the USA at the AIT in Taipei.

The wife should approach the AIT to start getting all thepaper work done.

The title thread is wrong. This thread should also be moved to the visa section. It has nothing to do with the Military Duty.[/quote]

The kid was born in US. He has both US and TW passports. He is a boy. So the family is concerned about the military duty. They didn’t know what they would need to do for him to leave Taiwan after the elementary school.

Try booking a ticket and getting on a plane. If he is using his Taiwan Passport to live in Taiwan he needs to leave by 16. So he won’t be in elementary school by then hopefully. If he is using his US passport and has an ARC he can come and go as he pleases. Since the boy’s father is Taiwanese, I expect he could ring up the local authorities here and find out these things for himself. Not hard to call the 兵役課 …

I’m already 32, and I keep going on my studies, I finished college, master degree and now I am trying to get my doctor degree and postponing army duty as much as I can. Maybe this thing will be extinct in a couple of years.

:unamused: :loco:
I’m sorry, but this post is just priceless.

I’m sorry, but this post is just priceless.[/quote]

Ask around, a lot of young men have something more important to do than army, unless if the guy wants to get married, then he really needs to finish this service, but nowadays a lot of guys are not that interested in getting married, they can get the milk for free, no need to buy the cow.

I’m sorry, but this post is just priceless.[/quote]

Ask around, a lot of young men have something more important to do than army, unless if the guy wants to get married, then he really needs to finish this service, but nowadays a lot of guys are not that interested in getting married, they can get the milk for free, no need to buy the cow.[/quote]
Yeah, but a lot of “young men” aren’t still hiding out in college at age 32 hoping to get a doctor’s degree to escape from the army. That doesn’t fall under “something better to do”, that’s something else entirely.

An alternative word for cat comes to mind.

Edit:

btw, very manly approach to woman, also. Guess they don’t know these young men you speak of are hiding at college to escape the draft, otherwise the supply of free milk might dry up fairly quickly.
And there’s a big difference between a youngster in his early twenties (or an “overseas Chinese” who just wants to study here or work here for a few years) opting to do a post graduate degree in the hopes that the draft will end by the time he’s done and a man approaching middle age still doing the same.

Why don’t you just suck it up and do your military service? I do not understand why so many people have such an aversion to it. It’s no big deal at all.

Why don’t you just suck it up and do your military service? I do not understand why so many people have such an aversion to it. It’s no big deal at all.[/quote]

Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don’t earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.

Mate there have been plenty of foreigners serve out their service after gettting ID cards. Anyways study on… cause chaps like you who study for years and years are unemployable in the end. You wont be able to actually do anything meaningful.

There are plenty of 30’s something PHd graduates who cant find jobs. Mainly cause nobody wants an over educated useless sack of potatoes.

PS in the Army you also get paid… Don’t think only the locals know what goes on in the Army.

Mate there have been plenty of foreigners serve out their service after gettting ID cards. Anyways study on… cause chaps like you who study for years and years are unemployable in the end. You wont be able to actually do anything meaningful.

There are plenty of 30’s something PHd graduates who cant find jobs. Mainly cause nobody wants an over educated useless sack of potatoes.

PS in the Army you also get paid… Don’t think only the locals know what goes on in the Army.[/quote]

PS. The army pays so little that many soldiers try to get a wife from Vietnam, because most taiwanese gals won’t marry a soldier, unless if he is highly conected to a influential politician.

That won’t make any difference to you. You dont even have any influence lol

PS in the Army you also get paid… Don’t think only the locals know what goes on in the Army.[/quote]

PS. The army pays so little that many soldiers try to get a wife from Vietnam, because most taiwanese gals won’t marry a soldier, unless if he is highly conected to a influential politician.[/quote]
Mate, no offense, but judging from your posts and your very poor knowledge of anything outside the four walls of “higher learning” I suggest you pack it in and go do something else for a bit. Even if that something is back packing through a foreign country teaching Chinese.

I mean, c’mon. You’re 32 for fecks sakes. :noway:

Why don’t you just suck it up and do your military service? I do not understand why so many people have such an aversion to it. It’s no big deal at all.[/quote]

Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don’t earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many Chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.[/quote]
I may be wrong, but I remember something about Northcoast Surfer having done military service in Taiwan already.
As to locals knowledge of what goes on, I have several friends and family that have either completed military service, or are currently in the Army. SatTV’s BIL is also in the military and I think he’ll back me up when I say they are fairly well paid past the year’s service (permanent members), especially senior non coms and officers.

We’re not exactly fresh of the boat or just passing through you know…

I don’t know where you guys get the idea that I don’t have a job just because I am doing a doctor degree. School education cost money, are not free. And my job certainly pays me enough to continue my studies. Besides, what does a soldier in Taiwan do? Perform coreography to the President at double 10 like the Buckingham soldiers who are more ornamental than useful? Or stand like a statue in the national monuments? Please !!! Some guys need more brain stimulation than doing that 24/7 for a miserable wage that will only pay for your electricity, water, cigars, and nothing else. If being a soldier was that good, a lot of chinese parents will be pushing their sons to do it instead of trying to get them in a plane and to do something else in another country.

So, you’re doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

And before you ask, yes, I did my military service. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Anubis”]So, you’re doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

And before you ask, yes, I did my military service. :p[/quote]

Well, this is your assumption. I do love my studies. And if you love the military service by all means go for it. And also tell the President,ex-president, politicians that sending their children to other countries for further studies will turn them into potato sacks. They need to come back and do military services, this is patriotism. Forget about doing something else, buying homes here and there, investing in foreign fake companies (Ah-Bian, are you listening?). And Ah’Bian is 100% taiwanese, according to him and his supporters, but his son (and daughter) are trying to get to other countries to live and invest the money. And other politicians (KMT, DPP) are doing the same and smiling at the parades watching the dutiful men in the army marching and saluting.

[quote=“lotzuni”][quote=“Anubis”]So, you’re doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

And before you ask, yes, I did my military service. :p[/quote]

Well, this is your assumption. I do love my studies. And if you love the military service by all means go for it. And also tell the President,ex-president, politicians that sending their children to other countries for further studies will turn them into potato sacks. They need to come back and do military services, this is patriotism. Forget about doing something else, buying homes here and there, investing in foreign fake companies (Ah-Bian, are you listening?). And Ah’Bian is 100% taiwanese, according to him and his supporters, but his son (and daughter) are trying to get to other countries to live and invest the money. And other politicians (KMT, DPP) are doing the same and smiling at the parades watching the dutiful men in the army marching and saluting.[/quote]

You wrote:
“I’m already 32, and I keep going on my studies, I finished college, master degree and now I am trying to get my doctor degree and postponing army duty as much as I can. Maybe this thing will be extinct in a couple of years.”

The way you said it sounds like dodging to me. But, yes, you are right, it IS my assumption.