Military involvement

What can one do if someone from the military is harrassing them? The local police back down as soon as the military officer flashes his name tag, and no one else, from anywhere else seems interested in helping.

Any advice???

Wouldn’t that depend on the country? Some place like North Korea, you’re SOL. USA, you have avenues of complaint.

In Taiwan?

Kick the harrasser in the nuts.

I have. Kicked him in the nuts, turned the hose on, sprayed him down with the hose, scuffled with him, and called the police. They showed up, laughed their asses off, and left…with him still there! :astonished: :loco:

It’s been a long time going, and I’m tired of it. I really wonder what resources are out there regarding his military status that I can tap. On a sadder note, if all the military officers out their fight like he does, :unamused: we’re screwed!!!

[quote=“Honour”]What can one do if someone from the military is harrassing them? The local police back down as soon as the military officer flashes his name tag, and no one else, from anywhere else seems interested in helping.

Any advice???[/quote]

I don’t know if I can offer any useful advice… but, I know that there is not sufficient information in your post to understand the problem.

What is the relationship you have with the individual harrassing you?

How is he harrassing you?

Why is he harrassing you?

Generally, Taiwan law does not provide for the issuance of a restraining order except in cases of domestic (family) abuse cases.

Normally, we tell people being harrassed to inform their local police office re the matter and make a record with the police of each instance of harrassment. Advise the individual doing the hassassing that such a record is being compiled.

I would also inform your nation’s embassy or trade or representative office here in Taiwan about the harrassment, and see whether or not you can compile a record at that office as well.

:slight_smile: Thanks Tigerman. I wish it was at least kind of an interesting story, but its not. It the husband of a teacher I fired for pinching the kids. Every now and then, sometimes with more than 6-8 months in between, he shows and gets on my case.

He says, I was unfair, we were friends (had tea together occasionally), and after all the hard work that she had done for me, I betrayed her. Whatever, he can shove that rhetoric up his ass. I think I will contact the military directly, but that is a bit like a needle in a haystack. I was hoping that someone knew of a disciplinary committee or something along those lines.

:rainbow: Thanks anyways…

Well, most of the world’s armed forces tend to look very poorly on their members harrassing civilian folks, who are after all untermensch. The best thing to do is get his name, number, rank, branch and ideally his base and commanding officer and present your case there. Assure them there will be more complaints up the chain until you are satisfied.

You should also do this with the police starting with whatever paichusuo the initial giggling clods came from. Work your way up the complaints chain remembering that they will, in most cases, only respond by necessity to a written complaint. Ideally they will hand it over to the military police (憲兵) Here’s their website: http://afpc.mnd.gov.tw/

However, be aware that this all could backfire on you depending on the details you failed to provide here. Having seen the penchant for slighted Taiwanese soldiers to wreak revenge I’d suggest some degree of caution. Those live rounds they occasionally steal on guard duty unfortunately don’t always go through their own heads.

Just how pissed off this freak is going to be about involving his private life and the military will depend greatly on whether he is a lifer/officer or a conscript.

HG

HG is right. Start with his Commanding Officer, and be sure to accentuate your case with elements that illustrate how he is a disgrace to the uniform. If he’s an officer, you can really hammer that angle.

I hope your situation improves soon.

The Chain of Command action, with documented visits to the local PD is best for establishing record of this harrassment. Be politely insistent and try to ascertain early on the next person up the chain for any future visits. Show disdain for having this occur from a so-called “Officer” in their command. You might causually mention slurred speech and aromatic breath. And the fact that he was easily kicked in the nuts and cried like a school girl.

Best of luck.

Document everything! You never know when or why you might need it.

two words:

video
tape

And then do as TC says, take it to his Commander.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]You might causually mention slurred speech and aromatic breath. And the fact that he was easily kicked in the nuts and cried like a school girl. /quote]

Excellent angle.
TC, have you applied this wisdom previously?
Just curious. :slight_smile:

:rainbow: Thanks again everyone. That’s all great advice and I will definately try it.

I have to say, I don’t condone violence against anyone unless it is to defend yourself. I’m the kind that it would take a lot of pushing for me to want to hit someone, actually do it, especially a kick in the nuts of all places. I think it’s been the weather and a slight case of the ‘Taiwan funk’, as we call it down here.

There is no reason for his behavior. This is one of those guys that thinks foreigners get to much out of their lives in Taiwan and that we are causing harm to their society. I’m just an outlet for his grief.

Admitting it, I enjoyed every second of it. Especially the spraying with the hose part. And no matter how mad I was at them for it, the fact that the police were laughing so hard that they were holding their sides, gave me a sense of satisfaction. Like…ha ha… they are laughing at you, on the ground, holding yourself, soaking wet…Ha ha ha… :yay:

:astonished: I really thought you were speaking metaphorically!

Ha ha ha! Well done!

HG