Military service for 39 year old Taiwan citizen with Green Card

Hello,

I have been living in the US for over 20 years and have just received my green card. I’m 39 years old (I’ll be 40 in June) and I applied for a new Taiwanese passport in 2011 and the TECO office didn’t give me any problems with regards to military service and my passport doesn’t have any notations other than a TECO stamp.

I need to go back to Taiwan for family reasons in a couple of months. Would I have any issues with military service? Do you all recommend that I get the overseas Taiwanese status on my passport just to be safe?

Many thanks in advance!

First, go get an expatriate status from TECO, you should have done that when you applied for your passport, if not it’s a must if you don’t want military trouble using a Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan.

If you are 39, you should qualify for this rule as an expatriate. You can stay in Taiwan for up to 4 months at a time, for unlimited times. If at any one time your stay exceeds 4 months, prepare to stay at Camp ChengKong, I’ve heard it’s just like summer camp.

For others born after 1984, the rules is you can’t stay over half an year cumulatively.

I’ll call my local TECO office and get the expatriate status started. However, I thought that the conscription age ends at the age 36. Actually the TECO officer that handled my passport renewal said that I already passed the conscription age. That’s why there’s no notation on my current passport (I had a notation regarding the need to get authorization to leave Taiwan on my previous passport which I received in 2001).

oh yeah, I forgot about that part, then you don’t have any military trouble.

Do you all know what the advantages are to get an expatriate status? I’m already above the draft age so conscription is not a concern. Are there any special benefits for people who have the expatriate status?

[quote=“hansioux”]You can stay in Taiwan for up to 4 months at a time, for unlimited times. If at any one time your stay exceeds 4 months, prepare to stay at Camp ChengKong, I’ve heard it’s just like summer camp.
[/quote]

Taiwan gives you 3 chances if you exceed the 4 month period. I constantly get reminded when I get my exit visa because I’ve missed one.