Milk shortage?

Like, making excuses to make us buy Chinese milk here? :astonished:

Milk shortage? Gotta wonder why. Is it because they are making powder for China because of all that was destroyed with the melamine scandal?

Here (calif) I get milk from trader joe’s for 1.49 plus tax for a half gallon (bout 2000cc).

I agree completely…and aren’t most dairies air conditioned. Its not the first time, that Taiwan is experiencing summer. Cows do stop lactating in the Indian summer, but those are ‘personal pets’…the dairy industry usually is well equipped to handle 32-38 degrees temperatures.

Makes me miss home, you never have to look far to find a cow, my street corner, street and everywhere you look you find cows. I miss them. Seriously.

Aha. This was driving me a little nuts, but I thought it might have just been Wellcome deciding people liked soy milk better or something because I went to a Matsuei (I have no idea if I’m spelling that right) last week and they had plenty of milk.
I did notice in Costco last weekend that there was a big crowd around the milk, I guess they were stocking up.
Anyway, I’m almost out, so I guess I’ll get to see what I can find in the stores tomorrow.

[quote]I agree completely…and aren’t most dairies air conditioned. Its not the first time, that Taiwan is experiencing summer. Cows do stop lactating in the Indian summer, but those are ‘personal pets’…the dairy industry usually is well equipped to handle 32-38 degrees temperatures.[/quote]I’ve seen quite a few dairy farms in my travels and none of them in Taiwan have been air conditioned, almost all have been open air shed/barns.

Matsusei regularly still has milk at 10 pm, although not much. Wellcome is regularly out by 10-11 a.m., so the former must have better contracts with their suppliers.

Good to know. Looks like they’ll be my first stop for a while. It’s a little farther for me then Wellcome, but I’ve got to have my milk!
Plus the last time I did find milk at Wellcome, it was not good - it got lumpy and disgusting pretty fast, well before the date stamped on the carton, and I had to throw most of it away :fume:

I think the milk deteriorates very fast after you open the carton and expose it to oxygen? So best to drink it within a day or two after opening me thinks.

So now that the weather’s getting cooler, can I have my milk?

Not around here. I can find it at 7-11, but in the evenings even they only have quarts (or whatever it is). Carrefour and my local grocery store are almost always completely out.

Ain’t I the luckiest guy in Taiwan? Milk galore … :roflmao: :lick:

Are there soy milk in Taiwan? Soy milk is my staple instead of the regular cow’s milk.

PLENTY of soymilk in Taiwan. NO worries there.

This is a question like … are there Chinese in China …?

Of course there is soy milk in Taiwan … seas full of it, fresh in the morning, still hot … :lick: :bow:

of course there’s soy milk in taiwan; more fresh than processed but both are available…throw and rock and you’ll hit some…

look for the breakfast places that sell 豆漿 (doujiang). Yonghe Doujiang is world famous…

To get tofu they have to make soy milk first … then curdle it … probably tofu makers sell soy milk to traditional breakfast stores …

I sure do miss the hot touchiang with the saobing and the fantuan at the yongho store in yongho late at nite (bout the only time one can park a car on the street outside the shop). I even take some bags of the chilled touchiang back home with me. Yummy!!

Soy milk? On cereal? :sick:

Amazing! So what do they do every summer?? Just have a shortage for a few months? Last summer was just as hot as this one…no shortage of milk!

Amazing! So what do they do every summer?? Just have a shortage for a few months? Last summer was just as hot as this one…no shortage of milk![/quote]
That’s what’s puzzling me: I’ve grocery shopped at the same store for 4 years, and only this summer has there been a lack of milk. But oh, plenty of yogurt drinks :unamused: