Milk that stinks

Hmm, Fresh Delight also sells a lot of juice here. Guess tonight in RT-Mart I will silently ask my girlfriend to the milk area :laughing:

Errr, I mean ask her questions about the milk they offer.

History of milk drinking doesn’t affect your lactose tolerance as much as your blood type. Asians are typically ‘O’ blood type. ‘O’ persons, due to the proteins in both the blood type & milk, can’t digest milk & other dairy as well as A’s or B’s…ask your students/friends if they like cheese…most will tell you they don’t & that is simply because it gives them the poops. Yogurt milk is in abundant supply in Asia because the fermenting process alters the sugars and makes them digestable to virtually everyone…yogurt milk in your coffee would be really disgusting though. :astonished:

Try KLIM or Anchor brand powdered milk…I got totally used to it when I lived in Taiwan (although in the beginning it was because it was more difficult to get “fresh” milk).

Hm, the Anchor cheese sucks though. Its nothing compared to a good Gouda from the Netherlands (except the price though). I tried Kuang Chuan (the one red bottle one with the blue closing). Its 1.4% fat, doesn’t stink and comes as closest to european milk (as far as I could tell). I won’t try Anchor… as its powdered. :frowning: I sent a mail to the Council of Agriculture and asked them to provide me with a list that reflects the numbers on the “pure” sticker they do on fresh milk, we’ll see :slight_smile:

What and where from is KLIM?

The only time I put something in my coffee is when I drink a cappuccino, coffee needs to go black …

BTW … to be honest I like the milk I buy, imported New Zealand UHT milk, I buy it by the cartons and less than 40 NT$ per liter.

I do it to be free of all the concerns of shelflife, taste and high cost.

And guys … don’t drink to much soy … it makes your hormones go the girly way … it has some kind of phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) in it …

mothering.com/articles/growi … story.html

Milk in Taiwan is a problem, remember that the cows are brought here and this is not a normal environment for the animals, they are probably under heath stress most of the year …

I bought some “Van Gogh Gouda” from the Netherlands at Jasons. Its heavenly cheese… and I don’t normally like the harder cheeses.

And as to the other person’s comment about blood type… where did u get that information from? Its got nothing to do with blood type… I’ve seen some articles that say A and B are more common in Europe and O more so in Asia, but thats just a coincidental in its relationship to lactose intolerance. Can we also infer that type O people have a lesser ability to process alcohol? Or are more likely to have black hair? Perhaps! But having a particular blood type has no direct bio-chemical effect on your ability to process lactose or alcohol. This is not an instance of cause and effect, it is an instance of probabilies based on unrelated facts.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]
And as to the other person’s comment about blood type… where did u get that information from? Its got nothing to do with blood type… I’ve seen some articles that say A and B are more common in Europe and O more so in Asia, but thats just a coincidental in its relationship to lactose intolerance. Can we also infer that type O people have a lesser ability to process alcohol? Or are more likely to have black hair? Perhaps! But having a particular blood type has no direct bio-chemical effect on your ability to process lactose or alcohol. This is not an instance of cause and effect, it is an instance of probabilies based on unrelated facts.[/quote]

I beg to differ on your random remarks & thank you for implying that I am stupid & that the doctors I use are also stupid.
If you were smart you’d do an internet search on ‘eating for your blood type’ it might be an eye opener for you.
Though we are all human our blood does make us different…drug companies know this fact and that’s why they manufacture different drugs for different blood types and ethnic background…why would the food companies do any different?
One shoe does not fit all.

I’m sorry, Joyarm, but as a scientific explanation that is in the same league as “Daddy put the baby in through Mommy’s tummy button.” It tells a nice story that uses all the available facts (or more accurately assumptions) to fit a particular worldview, but that doesn’t make it right.

I was going to post a summary of our current scientific understanding on the subjects of lactose intolerance, lactase persistence and ABO blood types in order to ‘prove’ why you are wrong, but then I realized that it just made me look like a cock.

Instead I will just ask:

If we accept that your ABO blood group is defined by your genetics and can never change any more than you sex can (which is true) and that in the first few months of their life all mammalian babies (which includes human) rely on their mothers’ breast milk as their only source of food (which is also true. The fact that humans have had the technology to produce synthetic milk for 50 years or so, is insignificant compared to the 65,000 years previous) then why are babies that are born with O blood type (and so by your theory also born lactose intolerant) able to drink their mothers milk?

simply because IT IS THEIR MOTHER’S MILK & they are babies…
intolerances due to blood type don’t always show up until we’ve aged a little & they are not ‘written in stone’ - I never said they were - I believe I said ‘typically’…
humans were never meant to suckle from other animals…
lactose intolerance is specific to COW’S MILK which is why so many who are lactose intolerant can still drink goat’s milk without any problems.
Need any more explanations?, look them up, I’m done with this thread.

Deng deng … I’m an O and am not lactose intolerant … wake up, this is just nonsens … food can influence your mood but has nothing to do with blood types … or does it? That’s maybe why we Europeans eat potatoes and Asians eat rice … and potatoes are healthier than white rice, which is basically starch (sugar) and doesn’t contain much other nutrients, minerals and vitamins
… but after all it doesn’t explain why milk in Taiwan smells different from Europe … Taiwan just smells different, cattle feed in Taiwan is not the same as other countries … chickens that’ve been fed ground fish will taste as fish when cooked and eaten …

And, BTW …

However, there is no guarantee that a person who is allergic to cow milk will
not be allergic to goat milk, because the milks are similar …

Just busted another myth …

saanendoah.com/compare.html

I agree that Taiwanese milk is sub-standard compared to the Australian milk I am used to. Has anyone noticed how the milk leaves an oily residue on your cereal bowl after you have finished??

If you think Taiwanese milk smells bad you should try Japanese milk. It actually smells like fish. Fishy cereal, yummy!!!

[quote=“joyarm”]

I beg to differ on your random remarks & thank you for implying that I am stupid & that the doctors I use are also stupid.
If you were smart you’d do an internet search on ‘eating for your blood type’ it might be an eye opener for you.
Though we are all human our blood does make us different…drug companies know this fact and that’s why they manufacture different drugs for different blood types and ethnic background…why would the food companies do any different?
One shoe does not fit all.[/quote]

Firstly my remark was not random… it was targeting your post and secondly, I did not, nor did I mean to give the impression of implying that you are stupid.

Its easier for non-scientists to be conned into believing in pseudo-science however your doctors should have no excuse.

As you suggested, I did a seach on “eating for your blood type” and in fact I also did a search on this particular theory and its myths. I’ll post after reading both sides, but I’m certainly biased into believing that this is mostly hype like all the other diet fads.

The general reason for my belief is that blood type is far too general a thing to track whilst keeping all other associated factors constant. I would guess the only way he could develop a theory is based on statistics… and I don’t really believe thats science.

However I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and read up on it tonight.

[quote=“Erick Morillo”]I agree that Taiwanese milk is sub-standard compared to the Australian milk I am used to. Has anyone noticed how the milk leaves an oily residue on your cereal bowl after you have finished??

If you think Taiwanese milk smells bad you should try Japanese milk. It actually smells like fish. Fishy cereal, yummy!!![/quote]

That’s what they like, raw fish, steamed fish, roasted fish, toasted fish, poached fish, boiled fish, fermented fish, grilled fish, stir fried and deep fried fish, saute’ed fish, broiled fish, fish dumplings, fish curry, fish noodles … so why not fish(y) milk … and believe me, that’s because they mix fish in the cow feed … that makes me think … aren’t cow herbivores … grass eaters?

Milk here smells like corn to me. I like it better than milk back home because it doesn’t smell as strong or leave a nasty aftertaste in your mouth. That aftertaste was enough to make me swear off milk as a preschooler.

Because I don’t drink milk at all (and trying to drink it makes me gag), but like my cereal soggy, it doesn’t affect the taste too much (because it smells like corn). I drain any excess milk off my spoon when I eat cereal anyways. I don’t drink coffee and would never dream of ruining a cup of tea with that foul white stuff.

Strangely enough though, I love other dairy products that have that strong aftertaste, foods like cottage cheese and my very favorite - ripened Camembert.

[quote=“Ironman”]The soy milk I like from here is the Imei brand with a brown front and soy beans all over it. It is a little sweet, but I like it that way.
If you get this one with a green front I’m reasonably sure it is low sugar. [/quote]

It’s sugarless, and hence the one I always buy. What’s more, it’s made from non-genetically-modified soybeans, and I Mei is one of the best and most trustworthy food manufacturers in Taiwan.

But I cannot use soy milk as a substitute for cow’s milk – nothing can replace good-quality cow’s milk on my muesli or in my coffee. Fortunately, as Tycoon mentioned, the Fresh Delight milk is as good as any milk you can buy anywhere – there’s simply no comparing it with that other muck sold as milk here, much of which is less drinkable than pus from an infected wound on a mangy dog’s scrotum.

For those who like the idea of drinking soy milk in place of the cow’s stuff but can’t give up the latter completely, I Mei also sells a mixture of soy and cow’s milk that’s not bad.

[quote=“engerim”]Hello,

I’m not the only one who noticed that fresh milk in Taiwan (yes there are cows in Taiwan, yes, they do have fresh milk here) stinks a little bit when smelling inside the bottle. After two days this smell is gone…

Now what could it be?

Fresh milk has this label, and I wonder where I can find more info about it:

[/quote]

I got a reply from the Council of Agriculture thing about this, no idea why “3” represents 2006 though.

Date:Feb 6, 2006

Thank you for your email asking more information about the tag/label on
fresh milk products in Taiwan. The number on the tag is for management
purpose. The number contains 7 digits, the 1st digit represents the year
when the tag was printed; the 2nd digit represents the period of products (0 means the period of April to November and 1 means the period of December to next March); the 3rd digit represents the volume size (2 means 200cc, 3 means 230cc, 4 means 340cc, 5 means 500cc , 6 means 946cc, 8 means 1,892cc and 9 means 2,800cc); the last four digits represent a serial number.

Best regards,
Council of Atriculture
Executive Yuan R.O.C.

“Council of Atriculture”, eh?

Did you understand the 冬期品 bit in the middle of the label? It indicates that the milk was produced in the winter. As you are probably aware, the price of milk is lower in the winter, because the cows produce more of it when the weather is cooler.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]“Council of Atriculture”, eh?

Did you understand the 冬期品 bit in the middle of the label? It indicates that the milk was produced in the winter. As you are probably aware, the price of milk is lower in the winter, because the cows produce more of it when the weather is cooler.[/quote]

Yap, I deciphered that part already. 品 meaning product, 冬期 winter season. Now only “10 I” is left to decrypt. And I will bug them again to get a list of which producers are related to the serial numbers. I just love to deal with numbering schemes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]“Council of Atriculture”, eh?

Did you understand the 冬期品 bit in the middle of the label? It indicates that the milk was produced in the winter. As you are probably aware, the price of milk is lower in the winter, because the cows produce more of it when the weather is cooler.[/quote]

That’s a possiblity but I guess storage also influences the price … in summer it’s more expensive to run fridges … :wink:

Loads of Asians have black hair. Loads of Asians are lactose intolerant. Therefore, lactose intolerance is caused by having black hair.
I’m blood type “o”, btw and am not lactose intolerant. Also I don’t have black hair.
Case closed.
Man, science is easy-peasy.

But oh noooeees! My wife DOES have black hair and is “o” type and isn’t lactose intolerant.

What can it all mean?