Millennials may be the new peasants

I have always preferred non-Canada degrees because our education is not stratified enough. Every university is pretty much the same :laughing: at least in liberal arts.

So it’s your personal bias? Is it that you want your degree to count for more?

I think when it comes to Millennials finding work, it boils down to how much they want to work. My friends running small businesses have a hard time retaining employees. They pay high wages trying to keep good workers around but, the work is hard. I think Andrew put it best when he/she wrote that not everyone can nor should get paid to sit in front of a computer.

1 Like

I don`t work in Canada, but when I did, it was my experience that counted. However, I would say that Canada and the US too often care about specialized education. There is no real equivalent of a PPE in North America, and the continent is worse off because of it.

I would generally advise against going into design for most people from my experience of seeing how competitive it is and how many people I know who have studied design never work in this field. I think its close to 80%. Not saying it can’t be done but it takes so many years of learning skills and software, then you’re competing against really talented who are really passionate about design. I mean if you really want it then sure, just giving you a look into the reality of it.

Ok, I get what you’re saying. I just didn’t spend a lot of time with people who whipped out their degree to get a leg over those around them. So, I don’t see the value in place of study rather, what you do with it.

Absolutely, but I think the US and Canada are too focused on project management, accounting, etc. What about Greek, knowledge of the classics, etc.? That can still help you out in the Boardroom – big time, in terms of seeing the big picture. Not saying accounting or PM is not important, but often people that get focused too much on procedure, lack the innovative, critical thinking skills (lessons from history, etc.) to think outside the box. It is about getting to the destination, not how you get there.

I don’t know where Americans are looking, but if you’re a presentable millennial who can survive an interview (maybe even just a phone interview), then you should be able to find a good job in the US.

Up against a tight job market, some employers are making job offers after a single phone interview, The Wall Street Journal reported.

This strategy is being seen mainly for seasonal jobs at retailcompanies such as Macy’s and Bath & Body Works, but employees have also reported it happening for roles including teachers, engineers, and IT professionals, according to the Journal.

And even these requirements are often minimized. I saw a lot of pink hair, stretched earrings and super tats on faces in a financial district recently.

I want to do interior design lol. I can always fall back into other fields i have experience with. But sounds like fun.

1 Like

Mine was too.
Went to university, the professor asked for a 15 page report and I almost had a heart attack. They never taught us report writing in HS.
Same went for finance math

That’s true strangely.
I came to Taiwan and hear people talking about how their kid got into one prestigious school or the other. I said the employers couldn’t care less where you got your degree from in Canada. A degree is a degree. That was my experience.
With the notable exception of u of t

Yip and it is Communist as fuck! :laughing::joy::grin:

Perhaps the saddest event of our culture now is thinking the only way to know something is by being taught. And more often than not we must be taught from an institution or from our family.

The degree might get someone In the door, but often that’s about as far as its useful. The ability to self teach, work hard, be flexible and rigid work without constant hand holding etc iswhat employers need. This is why people can’t hold a job, they are sort of useless and need constant watching and instruction. A boss needs someone to get how to do the job done and without the constant need for super vision. I have found 2 people to work for me in 12 years that could do that, and sadly those are the people who quickly learn they can make lots of money starting their own company. Which is where you see businesses giving people bonuses, shares, raises etc.because they require that persons efforts and skills.

It everyone’s requirement, especially millennial, to sell themselves and make that happen. The. Businesses aren’t normally charity like so we need to get the job, not accept the job…

For me the oddest argument is that people need to be taught personal finance. How difficult can it be to figure out that spending more than you earn is heading towards a good place?

3 Likes

Indeed, totally an issue. But that’s hardly a millennial only problem. Seems only people who grow up poor and hungry tend to have that logic.

2 Likes

It might be more a question of choice. If you’re raised poor and hungry you cannot borrow.

So, industrious and independent from working class poor.

There’s the flip side of welfare and addiction, but seems pretty clear cut with families that are workers vs waiters.

I think the majority are in the latter. However, encouraging the former is a good thing.

1 Like