Min Su in Taiwan

Hi. I am looking for work in Taiwan. Interested in working in food and beverage, farms and not afraid of hard work. I can do a trial for a week in Taiwan in June. Can someone take me in, provide me accomodation and food is sufficient.

1 Like

Looks like you arrived just in time from the news below.
Where you hail from, and can you speak Chinese?

And do you have an open work permit?

I am from singapore. Yes I speak chinese

No I do not

This poses a problem as you do not have working rights in Taiwan. Unless, by chance, you are married to a Taiwan Citizen?

Otherwise, you will have to find a place willing and able to provide you with a work permit.

If Singaporean can do working holidays in Taiwan and you are eligible, you don’t need a work permit.

Singaporeans cannot do that.

It sounds like you’d be a good fit for WWOOFing (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). You live with a host family who provides housing and food in exchange for helping on their farm. I’m sure the program has experience with the work permit issue.

From their FAQs:

A: WWOOF Taiwan is not responsible for any Visa or any documentation for members. Every country has different rules and regulations, we suggest you contact the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office or Overseas Office Republic Of China ( Taiwan ) in your country. We do not provide information regarding Taiwan visa or what type of visa is needed to WWOOF in Taiwan.

You pay them NT$800 to become a member and they provide you with a list of hosts. Then you contact the hosts on your own. Doesn’t sound like you’ll get a work permit from them. :2cents:

You could always try to get the host to provide you with a work permit I suppose… Singapore isn’t on the list of working holiday eligible countries either.

You might be able to get something through a certified volunteer agency that’ll issue you the volunteer permit thing (can’t quite remember what it’s called). Perhaps the YMCA, for example. But you’ll have to pay for your own food and housing.

As for volunteer work, foreigners can do it without a visa or permission, and it doesn’t need to be through approved organizations. Though, if you get accommodation and food in exchange for the work, it should be regarded as a pay, and you need a work permit.

Oh I didn’t know that. Is that new? I thought foreigners could only do short term volunteer stuff without a permit, like cleaning up trash at the park or something.

I wonder if Soo is referring to 寄宿家庭 (jìsù jiātíng; homestay). I think it may sometimes be called min su (mínsù; 民宿), even though Google Translate translates 民宿 as “bed and breakfast.”

I guess so. Though, working in food and beverage, farms is illegal without a work permit, so the replies.


And they’ll still need a visa of some sort to actually be in the country.

Good point. I assumed B&B, but then thought they were just looking for a hostel of some sort where they could work off their room fees or something.

Either way, I believe the OP hasn’t really researched this endeavor. Better suss out the visa or possibility of a work permit first.

1 Like

Found this while surfing:

I’m now in the middle of Hsinchu (新竹縣) somewhere with my mate Guang-Hui, offering labouring services in exchange for board and the chance to practice our Chinese. We’ll be here for a week, learning everything they do and helping where we can.

Inside the website is link to that farm where you can stay up to 2 weeks (3-4 people at a time):

You can use the 518人力銀行 to find a job of interest fot food