Mind Games

The Missing Dollar

Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

Where did the extra dollar go?
:sunglasses: :laughing:

The flaw is in the phrase “plus $2 for the bellboy.” This should not be added; it should be subtracted, since the $2 the bellboy got is part of the $27 dollars the three men spent altogether. If you subtract the $2 from the $27 you get the $25 that goes into the till.

Ayup, you’ve got to wake up priiitty early in the morning to pull the wool over that Scotsman’s eyes… :smiley:

You know why, right? It’s the Scottish education. Check this:

[quote]SCOTLAND

DRAFT HIGHER GRADE MODERN MATHEMATICS PAPER 2003

HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

GLASGOW REGION

Name…………………………………….
Nickname…………………………………
Gangname………………………………

1. Shuggie has bought half a kilo of cocaine for large. He wants to make 300% on the deal and still pay Mad Malky his 10% protection money. Hoe much must he charge for a gram?

2. Wee Davie reckons he’ll get

[quote]EDINBURGH / BORDERS REGION

Name……………………………………
Rugby Club…………………………….
Daddy’s Company…………………….

1. Gavin has a spare ticket for Julian Clary at The Festival Fringe. But Benji and Adrian BOTH want to go with him. How long does he cry before giving them the tickets?

2. Half of Peter’s friends say that they went to school with Ewan McGregor. Another third say they were Gordon Brown’s flat mate at University. A sixth say that their dad played rugby with Tony Blair’s dad and the rest say Sean Connery was their milkman. Only one is telling the truth, so how many friends does Peter have?

3. Todd wants to be a lawyer, but is as thick as Edinburgh Castle. His daddy is a Freemason and a QC. How long before Todd becomes the Lord Advocate?

4. Tamsin’s Personal Trainer charges

[quote]HIGHLANDS REGION

Name…………………………….
Glen………………………………

1. After Hector’s death, Archie has to pay Death Duty on Glenbogle. With 25,000 acres, Archie must pay

[quote=“salmon”]You know why, right? It’s the Scottish education. Check this:

[quote]SCOTLAND

DRAFT HIGHER GRADE MODERN MATHEMATICS PAPER 2003

HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

GLASGOW REGION

Name

You almost cost me my job, Salmon - rolling helplessly on the floor convulsing with laughter and shedding tears of mirth is considered unpardonably gauche and unseemly in the staid corridors of power where I ply my trade. But thanks anyway for giving me the best laugh I’ve had in ages.