Mind Reading

Well You read the phrase, ‘she can read my mind’ and you think of this nice couple where she knows exactly what he needs and how and where and when and how much. Thing is, I have become that ‘she’, or her. No complaints there, BUT (yes a big one), me being the mind reader isn’t that good a thing really. It has just made him less verbal coz I already know everything. Catch 22.
I mean I am serious, the Husband marvels at how I know everything, but just yesterday I realized how much effort I make, reading his body language, keeping in mind what he said a few days ago, how he winced the last time the subject was brought up, etc. etc. Of course, he never asked me to be psychic.
There is no conflict here, just wondering if its a woman thingy to pre-empt, and anticipate, or men do it too, or is that, what is supposed to happen as we grow older together? Or, shudder, am I just progressing valiantly towards doormatism?

Hmmm. Not sure!! I have ONE guy friend who I can read like that, instinctively. Ever since I met him.

Other men I find that I learn how to do it with time, but it’s certainly not mind reading - like you said, your partner communicated his feelings in relation to an expression/gesture made at a certain time in a certain context, and you then filed this information away and remembered it next time a similar thing came up.

Therefore, according to what you’ve said, you can only do it due to the open communication given by your husband. He’s just very lucky that you have a good memory!

Men don’t seem to think about things as much as women - as in, they’re more focused and in-depth when you actually CAN get them to think about something, but they’re less able to multitask/make associations as situations arise/think about anything aside from what they’re focusing on. Therefore they’re less likely to be psychic back. My general take on a guy is if he’s both figured out how to look after me and make me feel better when I’m angry/upset and figured out which activities/things make me happy, then he’s actually putting a lot of effort into learning about me. It’s just not evident every 10 seconds because he’s incapable/less capable of thinking about more than one thing at once.

If you feel unappreciated, maybe make a conscious effort to NOT ‘read his mind’ for a few days? He’ll probably ask you what’s wrong after a day or so (the first day putting it down to ‘Oh, she might be tired’ @.@; ) and then you can talk about it. He probably notices it and appreciates it, just doesn’t say it (~.~`

In conclusion: I think it’s mostly a woman thing; I think it’s mostly a good thing; I think that as long as you are both happy there is no reason to worry about it. Right now it sounds as if you feel a little under appreciated, though you did say that he marvels at how you know everything.

Why is this thread in the Men’s Forum? :ponder:

I knew you were going to say that.

tsukinodeynatsu , thank you for the reply. NO not under appreciated. It may sound like that, but nah. This was also coz I read an article on the narcissus effect, welll…so it’s a woman thing eh??? :ponder:

I knew you were going to say that.[/quote]
Now did you???
smartypants

[quote=“divea”]tsukinodeynatsu , thank you for the reply. NO not under appreciated. It may sound like that, but nah. This was also coz I read an article on the narcissus effect, welll…so it’s a woman thing eh??? :ponder:

I knew you were going to say that.[/quote]
Now did you???
smartypants
[/quote]
I knew you were going to say that, too.

[quote=“divea”]
There is no conflict here, just wondering if its a woman thingy to pre-empt, and anticipate, or men do it too[/quote]

Men can be quite aware of the body language hey give off and may deliberately pre-empt your pre-emtive anticipation, and you say it results in less talking. :thumbsup:

But seriously, it sounds very normal and like you have a wonderful loving relationship, in a marriage I would say as long as both partners are on the same wavelength its all good.

ooohhhhh that was another issue, tackled it years ago,it was ‘the power of suggestion’.

Female intuition is not all it’s made out to be.