Minsheng E Rd Sec. 3 Restaurants

Want some recommendations for restaurants in the area. I know that Joyce Cafe, Abu’s, the Sherwood, La Terrassee, Very Thai, Bagel Bagel, L’Amico are all in this area and would like to get some recommendations on similar restaurants in the area. Any advice?

Is for example Ruth Chris, Trader Vic’s, Tony Roma’s etc. worth checking out. Please NO noodle stands and slop shops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The tandoor is back in the area too right?

How about all those restaurants along Fuhsing North Rd, north of Minsheng E. Rd? Anybody been to these? Stinking Rose, some Japanese places, etc. I would just rather not waste my time if most of these are missable.

Thanks so much.

Went to Trader Vic’s once, polynesian joint, fancy, pricey, food good but I wasn’t dying to go back, and haven’t.

Tony Roma’s well worth going to for the ribs IMO! Once told a friend of mine, gee I wish there was a decent barbecue joint here somewhere. he said, Tony Roma’s. I have to remember to thank him!

I’ve been to all three of these places and they are expensive. Ruth Chris has the best steak I’ve ever had. Went to Trader Vic and didn’t get what I ordered. (This was several years ago.) I like my steak well done. It’s probably good. Tony Roma’s is excellent. For about 800 NT you can get their sampler, which is enough for two. Very tender and tasty. They have a fried onion in the shape of a cube thing that I would advise against however. It’s very greasy.

There’s a peking duck place very near Abu’s that’s quite good. They have an English menu but you need to book in advance as it’s full house whether it’s for lunch or dinner, weekday or weekend.

There’s a pretty refined chinese place, He Feng (No. 32, Lane 106, Min Chuan E. Rd., Sec. 3), at which we ate for NT$ 1000 for 2. You get there from Min Sheng E. Rd., about 100 m on the left as you go north up the lane which runs along the side of the Starbucks between the Sherwood and Fushing N. Rd. Food and service very good.

CitySky Cafe at Minsheng East Rd. Sec. 3, Lane 130, Alley 18 #4 is a good lunch place for its daily specials & interesting sandwiches ($120-160). Cross Minsheng E Rd at the Sherwood Hotel intersection, walk 2 blocks down and turn right at the laundry store. You’ll see the sign. Phone #2718-9237. Also deliveries and catering for meetings and parties. Ask for Vickie who speaks English. The menu is a mix and match of east & west cooking. :smiley:

Fred that’s the second reference I’ve seen you make to a La Terrasse, is there one in Taipei?

There was a La Terrasse in Taichung run by an Australian chap, Terry, are the restaurants related?

Cheers.

HG

La Terrasse is located at Minquan E. Rd. Sec. 3 Lane 160 #36 Tel: 2717-2525. I wholeheartedly recommend it. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Best way to enter is to go to Swensen’s on Tun Hwa and Minsheng and enter at that alley just north of Swensen’s go to the first alley and turn right, go down a block and La Terrasse is right there on the left.

Prices for lunch are very reasonable and you can get by with NT$1,000 at night if you lay off the wine (considerably less) but with wine NT$1,200 or up to NT$2,000 depending on your ability and refinement.

I hear that Thursdays they serve fresh oysters flown over that very morning from France but have not been there yet myself to check it out.

freddy

[quote=“fred smith”]La Terrasse is located at Minquan E. Rd. Sec. 3 Lane 160 #36 Tel: 2717-2525. I wholeheartedly recommend it. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Best way to enter is to go to Swensen’s on Tun hwa (Dunhua) and Minsheng and enter at that alley just north of Swensen’s go to the first alley and turn right, go down a block and La Terrasse is right there on the left.

Prices for lunch are very reasonable and you can get by with NT$1,000 at night if you lay off the wine (considerably less) but with wine NT$1,200 or up to NT$2,000 depending on your ability and refinement.

I hear that Thursdays they serve fresh oysters flown over that very morning from France but have not been there yet myself to check it out.

freddy[/quote]

good stuff. recommend the crepe. the owners are good host, frenchman and his taiwanese wife. real friendly. he even pretended to understand my french!!