Mint

What are the different varieties of mint that you’ve seen in Taiwan? And how do I determine if it is spearmint (and not peppermint)? I want it for making Mojitoes, and videos on YouTube have these big, lush, wide leaves.

What’s the best way to grow mint in an apartment, specifically how much sun and how much water? I have a window with a nice wide ledge facing east, so morning sun is not a problem.

Mint is forgiving. It grows like crazy no matter what I ever did to it. Buy some at a flower market and stick in a big pot. They usually have English labels.

Thanks.

I’ve been watering it every day and sticking it on the ledge for some fun in the sun. I decided to forgo watering for one day, but the leaves were pretty wilted by the time I checked on it. Nevertheless, the thirsty little critter survived.

The vendor at the flower market just said it was from the Netherlands. There was no English label.

[quote=“SlowRain”]Thanks.

I’ve been watering it every day and sticking it on the ledge for some fun in the sun. I decided to forgo watering for one day, but the leaves were pretty wilted by the time I checked on it. Nevertheless, the thirsty little critter survived.[/quote]

That sounds pretty fast. You re-pot it? Try one of those long ones. It’ll take the whole thing over really fast.

There’s a comparison photo here:

backyardbartender.blogspot.tw/20 … dness.html

Thanks. I don’t think one of those long ones will work in my situation.

That link was very useful. I’d always heard peppermint was a no-no for Mojitoes.

Post a picture of your mint and we can help you identify it. I have seen both peppermint and spearmint in Taiwan as well as, at least, one kind of variegated mint. Spearmint has a more rounded leaf and is lighter green in colour. Peppermint has a more pointed leaf and is a darker shade of green. But the best way to determine which you have is with your nose, but if you are uncertain of what they should smell like, then that method won’t be of much help.

Both of them have shallow roots and send out runners. This has two major implications: they need to be watered regularly because they don’t have long roots that can draw up water from deep in the soil and secondly they exhaust the nutrients in the soil pretty quickly which in turn means that you need to: a). re-pot using new soil frequently or b). feed.

Both of them like a fertile, well-drained soil and quite a lot of sunlight. But if you only had morning sunlight and shade in the afternoon, that would be okay.

Pruning them encourages new growth and it is a good idea to prune away any dead or dying leaves or any stalks that have got too long.

[quote=“bigsyd”]

Pruning them encourages new growth and it is a good idea to prune away any dead or dying leaves or any stalks that have got too long.[/quote]

And at the same time, make a mint julep to get the new growth off on the right foot.

Yeah, as i said before, I had some kind of leaf mould or something taking over my plant. In the end I ripped out 90% of it. It grew back with bigger, darker green leaves.

Based on the pictures, it looks like I do have spearmint. It also looks like some of the Mojito videos I watched used peppermint.

Thanks for all the help.

I mean theoretically, you can use any kind of mint you want for a Mojito, really. I was in a flower market and they had this chocolate mint. I should have bought that and tried it. Might have been a good variation. But yeah, nice to see what the ‘basic’ version is like first. Ont he other hand, if you want the real Cuban authentico, you have to get the rare ‘buena yerba’ Cuban mint.

Mint grows like crazy. Here’s mine, which only gets about 3 hours of western sunlight per day. I grow it in an aquaponics system though. :wink:

What kind of fertilizer should I be putting on my mint? How often?

If you have a flower market nearby, you could always ask them for an organic fertilizer suitable for kitchen herbs. The place you bought the mint from should also stock a safe fertilizer. The other route to go is to buy a bag of good soil and re-pot the mint frequently. Cut a few sprigs off your mint plant and let them stand in a glass of water. (Don’t submerge the leaves, only the stem part). After a few days (probably 5 - 7) you should notice roots beginning to grow. Wait a few more days until they are of a decent length and then pot in new soil. Have a few pots handy and if you get your timing right, you should always have vigorous, healthy mint growing on your balcony.

I use a handful of organic fertiliser once a month. Seems to grow fine.