Mirroring from Android to TV with VPN and Roku

Also found this:
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/be.mygod.vpnhotspot

1 Like

Yup, same idea. Needs root though. Impossible to do without it unfortunately.

Are you on Android pie?

Get a cheap phone and root it!

yes

Found this with a quick search.

1 Like

I think Amazon is really fighting the fight against VPNs and DNS stuff. More so than other services like Netflix and Hulu. I think Geo blocking needs to be done away with. They could make a fortune if they would at least charge for the overseas access. Shutting out entire markets is really dumb business sense.

1 Like

Exactly; I gave them a try because they offered a free trial and I had a smart tv with it already built in. Almost everything is blocked in Taiwan and I didnā€™t have too much luck with vpns. Interestingly though, Amazon Japan, which is a lot different, worked just fine with a free vpn but I used the free trial to watch everything I wanted then canceled.

Then they should frigginā€™ open up their stuff. People pay for Amazon Prime and get what you could get on Netflix, and some free books (depending tho) if you live abroad.

Itā€™s like my home country (public TV), they say itā€™s free to watch for every Belgian ā€¦ within the EU ā€¦ f**k that!

1 Like

Look on the front of the router, should tell you the make, and on the bottom it should have a model sticker.

And how do you get in?

So I finally figured out what was going wrong with Amazon Prime Video

Using Getflix.com.au to change the DNS, I was able to gain access to Prime Videoā€™s US menu with all itā€™s US listings from its website, not the Prime Video App. When I press play, the website redirects you automatically to the Prime Video App. which is where the Black screen freeze problem happens. It is because the App knows Iā€™m in Taiwan and refuses to play anything from the US listings. Even with DNS in the US it VPN on, the App still knows I am in Taiwan. That is where the problem is and why itā€™s only happening on the phone.

1 Like

Itā€™s using your phoneā€™s location servicesā€¦ you can try pairing your vpn with a location spoofer like ā€œfake GPSā€. It may work, no rooting involved.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work.

Iā€™m not sure why it works for some services and not othersā€¦I hadnā€™t tried Prime video on my phone (YoutubeTV works for me for example). Sorry for the false lead.

No worries.
Amazon is on the ball with geo blocking. They really have it all figured out.
Somehow, someway, their app knows where you are when you use your phone. And somehow, someway, their website knows when you are accessing it via your phone and will force you to use their app to watch anything.

That is why it works on the laptop but not the phone. I just need to find a way to trick their site into thinking I am on a computer and not a phone. Have tried everythingā€¦paid VPN, paid DNS service, changing locations on my phone and on their site, using a fake GPS app, turning off my location settings, etc. None of it works.

It seems to be the problem with the getflix service, i am using purevpn chrome extension for this and is working fineā€¦just select the amazon option there

If you are using the Chrome extension, then you are accessing it via a computer. This issues is accessing from a phone.

Can you confirm you had access through your cellular data or wifi? On your phone, tablet, laptop or computer?

Finally!
Resolved!
All I had to do was use Chromeā€™s ā€œview in desktop modeā€ setting on my phone and it worked!

I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t think if that before. I can also cast to my TV. Perfect!