Misdemeanors

will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check… was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

I did 2 yrs probation… also was arrested while driving with a suspended license… no biggie… and all happened over 10 yrs ago… could this keep me from getting ARC here…?

many thx in return for any info!

Simple. Its a criminal record check, so if you haven’t got a criminal record you’ll be fine.

so then… what…?

Seems I have a criminal record, if I was arrested, and put on probation right…?
I was told if i completed probation, with no problems, then would not be on perminate record…
Now since I need to get a “federal” check, will this be on it… and HOW can this affect getting ARC… I mean… People are NOT perfect, and it is considered a “misdemeanor” offense…

SO IF this IS on my record, then could I be denied… Even though its a small crime, and no jail time for it at all.
Is it just if there is anything on background then no matter what it is, can be denied…?Or is it done on case, by case basis…?

direct responses please…

[quote=“joeblow420”]will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check… was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

I did 2 yrs probation… also was arrested while driving with a suspended license… no biggie… and all happened over 10 yrs ago… could this keep me from getting ARC here…?

many thx in return for any info![/quote]Request your background check to cover only the time after your arrest and conviction. For example: If you were convicted in 1999, request a criminal background check covering 2000 to present. Then, your criminal offense won’t show up. :bow:

Really, you can do such a thing…?
The Taiwan government isn’t looking for a complete background history check?
I also dont even remember exactly when it happened, was so insignificant. Never mattered before… I would still suspect it should show up on any background check prior to the event… It was a SIS, meaning suspended imposition of sentence. Since I completed probation, I never served any jail time.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“joeblow420”]will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check… was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

many thx in return for any info![/quote]Request your background check to cover only the time after your arrest and conviction. For example: If you were convicted in 1999, request a criminal background check covering 2000 to present. Then, your criminal offense won’t show up. :bow:[/quote]The bagger of shit speaks the truth.

[quote=“joeblow420”]Really, you can do such a thing…?
The Taiwan government isn’t looking for a complete background history check?[/quote]Well, the Taiwan government isn’t very sharp about such things and you can slide quite a lot of shit (even in ziplock bags) past them if you are so inclined. I know of one convicted felon who got his JFRV using the specific date request method for his criminal background check! Really!

hmm… well thx alot of the info!
so could i just ask for a criminal check from the last 2 years…?
would that be acceptable? :whistle:

[quote=“joeblow420”]hmm… well thx alot of the info!
so could i just ask for a criminal check from the last 2 years…?
would that be acceptable? :whistle:[/quote]It depends on how the criminal record check is written. For the background checks I’ve helped process they didn’t stipulate the time frame. They simply said,

“[color=#FF0000]Please be advised that based on the descriptors provided, there is no conviction criminal history record information on the above named individual[/color]”

So, depending on which country you hail from and which federal agency you need to deal with, yours may or may not include the requested background check time frame in the final report.

Also, some employers who request a background check on a future employee sometimes only require the last five years, seven years, ten years, etc. In the US, most job applications ask if you have been convicted of a felony in the past seven years. So, if you were to provide a background check as a condition of employment, you would only need the past seven years in many cases.

Suggestion: Do two background checks. One that covers the last 10 years since your conviction and one that covers your lifetime. Then you can look at both and decide how best to proceed.

thanks a lot for the info, I will do just that!

I wonder if you could try going to a different state (if you’re in the US) and request a background check from the state authorities there. If, say you committed your misdemeanor in California, perhaps it won’t show up in Nevada.

[quote=“Lil’ Slugger”]I wonder if you could try going to a different state (if you’re in the US) and request a background check from the state authorities there. If, say you committed your misdemeanor in California, perhaps it won’t show up in Nevada.[/quote]Yes, of course that will work. However, you can’t use a State background check anymore. It must be a federal background check and for the US that means FBI background check. They check with all 50 States and US territories, so this will not help.

You can also look into getting a pardon or expunging your record before proceeding.

Huh, when did that start? I did fine with just a state background check three years ago.

[quote=“Lil’ Slugger”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Lil’ Slugger”]I wonder if you could try going to a different state (if you’re in the US) and request a background check from the state authorities there. If, say you committed your misdemeanor in California, perhaps it won’t show up in Nevada.[/quote]Yes, of course that will work. However, you can’t use a State background check anymore. It must be a federal background check and for the US that means FBI background check. They check with all 50 States and US territories, so this will not help.[/quote]Huh, when did that start? I did fine with just a state background check three years ago.[/quote]The NIA changed the policy in August 2008. State, Provincial, Municipal, or Township police background checks are no longer acceptable for JFRV, APRC, or Naturalization applications. A federal background check is the only acceptable police background check at this time. :fume:

I used to be able to get a state background check completed, endorsed by the TECO and express mailed back to Taiwan within 72 hours! Now, it takes me 8~10 weeks just to get the US FBI background check completed! What a P.I.T.A.! :thumbsdown:

The OP is asking about ARC. You are not required to provide such documents to apply for an ARC. You need that to apply for a PARC or a JFRV, though.

PS: Just realized this is posted in “marriage.” It’s fair to assume the OP is inquiring about the JFRV application. :blush:

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]The OP is asking about ARC. You are not required to provide such documents to apply for an ARC. You need that to apply for a PARC or a JFRV, though.

PS: Just realized this is posted in “marriage.” It’s fair to assume the OP is inquiring about the JFRV application. :blush:[/quote]Robin. Don’t feel bad, I just figured out who the OP is. Yes. He’s thinking about getting married and he wants to apply for the JFRV after he gets married.

Here’s what I’ve learned from his previous postings in other threads.

Here’s one of this previous threads.

And another one.

=============================
To: JoeBlow420

Get your FBI background check completed. If your criminal record appears on it, you can always come to Taiwan and get a work permit and teach English. You might not ever be able to get a JFRV, an APRC, or Naturalize, but a least you have one option to come here, earn some money, and be with your current girlfriend. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]The NIA changed the policy in August 2008. State, Provincial, Municipal, or Township police background checks are no longer acceptable for JFRV, APRC, or Naturalization applications. A federal background check is the only acceptable police background check at this time. :fume:

I used to be able to get a state background check completed, endorsed by the TECO and express mailed back to Taiwan within 72 hours! Now, it takes me 8~10 weeks just to get the US FBI background check completed! What a P.I.T.A.! :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Huh, it looks like the local bureaucrats are actually getting on the ball. Don’t you hate it when that happens?