Missing Mail

Shortly after last x-Mas my mom sent me a care package but it hasn’t arrived yet. I have been patiently waiting to see if it was returned to Canada. NOPE. I’m thinking either it was stolen or maybe the address was written wrong and it could not be delivered.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with missing mail, and if it would be worth calling the Taichung P.O and trying to track it down.

This is the second time(1st in a different city) and I’m getting a little P.Oed. Any help would be appreciated!

won’t help for this time, but get someone to write your addy in chinese, and then photocopy a bunch and scan/email back to the relatives. although things in english usually get here, in 8 years i’ve yet to not receive something with the addy in chinese …

Check also if your folks opted for air mail. If they chose ground service, it can literally take months to get here. Happened to me once. I got a birthday gift one year when it was almost time for my next birthday. Maybe not quite so bad, but you get my drift. I had given up on the package by the time it got to me.

I second the notion of avoiding pinyin/English for mail destined for here. I made some address stickers with my Chinese address on it and told relations to simply stick them on things they want to send.

You can also check with the post office in your area to see if they got anything they couldn’t deliver. I tried that when my package took months to get to me and they were quite helpful.

[quote=“Toasty”]Check also if your folks opted for air mail. If they chose ground service, it can literally take months to get here. Happened to me once. I got a birthday gift one year when it was almost time for my next birthday. Maybe not quite so bad, but you get my drift. I had given up on the package by the time it got to me.

I second the notion of avoiding Pinyin/English for mail destined for here. I made some address stickers with my Chinese address on it and told relations to simply stick them on things they want to send.

You can also check with the post office in your area to see if they got anything they couldn’t deliver. I tried that when my package took months to get to me and they were quite helpful.[/quote]

Toasty,what happened at the P.O? Did you find your mail?

No, they didn’t find it, though they checked their undeliverable mail for anything matching the description I gave them. They didn’t find it because it hadn’t arrived in Taiwan. My father, being the good scotsman that he is, scoffed at the price of airmail in favour of the cheaper overland option. Problem is, overland to Taiwan isn’t a truck or a train, it’s a container ship sailing over huge expanses of ocean. The package was duly delivered when it actually got to Taiwan-- quite a few months after it had been sent. That’s why I suggest you confirm that your parents did indeed send your packages airmail. If they didn’t, your packages may still get to you…eventually.

It was sent by ground (sea) but still it has been nearly 3 months. I guess I’ll take a trip down to the friendly neighborhood P.O on Mon and see what happens.Thanks for your help!

LOL,and my old man is a stingy scotsman too. At 80 he still plays a mean set of pipes.

It once took 5 months for a box of books we sent from the US to arrive here by surface mail. The box, which had been solid when we packed it, was pretty beat up when it arrived. Fortunately the books arrived in good condition, but I had been wondering what happened to them.

Not really encouraging news there Chris,but at least I have a good idea what to expect now.
I am waiting for some magic supplies. Quite ironic actually,magic tricks disappearing in the mail.

Surface Mail (ground/sea) is really slow.
I would also check to make sure the package wasn’t seized by customs. There are random searched by customs every now and then.

Once I got a care package and all the chocolate was missing…evil customs officer probably ate it.

[quote=“gomerpyle”]It was sent by ground (sea) but still it has been nearly 3 months. I guess I’ll take a trip down to the friendly neighborhood P.O on Mon and see what happens.Thanks for your help!

LOL,and my old man is a stingy scotsman too. At 80 he still plays a mean set of pipes.[/quote]

My package by surface took something like 6 months (I kid you not). I have a feeling your package may still be in transit.

It’s not just international mail that doesn’t get delivered. I’m not the only one who often doesn’t get sent his phone bill. They don’t take that as an excuse for not paying.

Anything is possible, but I’m betting the package hasn’t actually arrived in Taiwan yet. The problem with overland post from most countries to Taiwan is that it has to be sent by container ship. I heard packages can sit for months, waiting while enough items bound for Taiwan are accumulated to fill container space. I’m of the view that OP will get his package eventually.

got it ! 107 days later.

THANKS MOM!

[quote=“gomerpyle”]got it ! 107 days later.

THANKS MOM![/quote]

That’s fast compared to how long my surface mail package took. They must be improving. :laughing: :wink: Surface mail: never again.

[quote=“gomerpyle”]got it ! 107 days later.

THANKS MOM![/quote]

Haha! Great!

Maybe there’s still hope for that parcel that was sent to me just over a year ago (then again… maybe not).

[quote=“irishstu”]
Haha! Great!

Maybe there’s still hope for that parcel that was sent to me just over a year ago (then again… maybe not).[/quote]
Haha! Great!

Maybe there’s still hope you might read and respond to your Gmail mail some time this year (then again… maybe not). :unamused:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“irishstu”]
Haha! Great!

Maybe there’s still hope for that parcel that was sent to me just over a year ago (then again… maybe not).[/quote]
Haha! Great!

Maybe there’s still hope you might read and respond to your Gmail mail some time this year (then again… maybe not). :unamused:[/quote]

HEY!! RENT-A-MOAN!!
I’ve answered, now stop giving me such a hard time! All my workmates stare at me when I cry.