Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”

ching shui cliffs in the news

What does this say?
It is train ticket pricing from Taipei to Hualien.
Why is some red, blue yellow and If I buy ticket how long is it good for?
Want to buy it now but use Tuesday

Oh yeah, I am here lol

5 Likes

Welcome to Taiwan. It great that you’ve come to see family and also experience Taiwan firsthand. Here’s to you finding some answers.

You can also buy train tickets ahead of time conveniently in 7-11 at a machine and the store clerks are usually really friendly and helpful if they have a minute. Many people in Taipei speak English.

You need to buy the ticket for the date and time that you want to use it to get a seat. I’m going to be leaving for vacation on Wednesday otherwise I’d help you guys get around the train station on Thursday. I’m sure there are other Forumosans that can help.

If you and your friend would like to meet for a coffee or beer Monday or Tuesday, send me a message. Best wishes!

2 Likes

it is local/rapid/express line. Usually express line is fastest about 2 and a half hour, and rapid line is 3-4 hr. But, some rapid train is faster than slower express train.

When you buy a ticket, you can/should say when you use it.

Check this site
http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/EN_QuickSearch.aspx

I’m all for meeting anybody in the Taipei area for a beer Monday night.
Just make it near the train station as we kinda got lost trying to find our hotel, and it’s right beside the train station.
Give me specific details how to get to the “bar” We are staying at Ceasars Park hotel.

Make sure to get the card for your hotel. If you end up in the other side of town, you can show the card to a cabbie, and you will be back at your hotel without issues.

Cabs in Taiwan are generally fair and won’t rip you off. Also they are very reasonably priced for late night trips, or even if you don’t feel like taking the MRT.

2 Likes

you can call taxi from convenience store, using this machine, if you need.

2 Likes

NT$440 is Taroko and Puyuma express trains and Tzi-chiang train. First two take just over 2 hours (seats nearly always booked full ahead of time by tour groups). Last one can be 2 hrs 30mins to over 3 hours.
NT$340 is Chu-guang, takes three hours plus 15~45mins
NT$283 is Fu-hsing, longer. Don’t take.

1 Like

Also, make sure you get to the train station with at least 20-30 mins extra time on day of travel. Taipei station is a big train station, and I found it difficult to find our train last time, and I speak and read Chinese! And do not be afraid to ask for help in English - most people will do their best to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Forumosans - Which place and time (6 or 7pm?) would be good? I’ll see if I can create a poll.
I can’t think of any places right beside Taipei Station but it’s only minutes by subway to many of these.
My favorite places for a beer that are on the red line MRT are:
23 Public (Xin Beitou has nice tables there)
23 Public (Yuanshan)
Redpoint
Zhangmen
Brass Monkey (not on the red MRT but still convenient)

Any other suggestions?

1 Like

I don’t think I can create a poll.

I’m not in the north, but can try

QSquare 京站, just across street from main train station on North side. Connected to main station by underground walkway.

3 Likes

The bar at Ceasar Park hotel (or buffet which had all you drink beer/gin/others but it’s been awhile so not sure it’s the same), where he is staying there it is easy to get to for all (Exit direct from MRT to hotel). Our Taipei office is across the road, and now days I find lots of good places to eat and drink within walking distance to avoid the Taxi (even though Taxi is cheaper than Kaoshiung) mostly save time to relax. Maybe he might like time to relax. Edit Q Square is also great place, short walk (under or above ground)

1 Like

Even something by the night market, we want to go there tonight as well.
Is the market at number 101 Jihe road Shilin District?

Hi Dave, if you get out of the MRT at Jiantan the Shilin night market is right there, just follow the crowds. There’s a number of night markets in Taipei, some might recommend a different one.

Do you know if you will be heading to Kaohsiung side?

Everyone needs to visit a night market. Shilin is the largest. It is crowded but Monday night is definitely better than Friday or Saturday night. How about we meet at your hotel lobby at 6pm and head there for dinner/snacks? It is very convenient to your hotel as it is on the red subway line.

If you’d like, I can meet there earlier and we can go take care of your Thursday tickets. I’ve got some meetings from 2-4 so I can be there as early as 5.

Let me know and other Forumosans are welcome to join.

3 Likes

Ok my hotel lobby is fine to meet up.
I got my ticket.

6 Likes

Awesome. I’ll be at the lobby at 6pm

1 Like