Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

@gregski :point_up_2:

I have waited 2 years for the police to do their job or for my brother to show up, one way or another.
2 years waiting for any info to come to me. Two years of no return emails from interpol, 2 years of phone tag with my own police, 2 years of being told there isn’t much I can do just let the Taiwan police do their job.
Two years of unrest and uncertainty about my brother.
Yes , and two years for me to wake up and say enough is enough.

7 Likes

No need to justify your actions over the Internet.
The good thing is some netizens on this forum will help out or direct you more quickly to the proper person.

Was your brother in Taichung or Taipei and possibly scootering down the coast (or over the central mountain range) to Taitung County’s Fugang Harbor to then take a boat (45 minutes) to Green Island, when his scooter “broke down” in some mountains before getting to Taitung?

4 Likes

Can you go find that guy take a few pics and see if it is him?

Had to log in for the first time in years after reading all this. Couple of thoughts I feel worth sharing.

First. Somebody above mentioned he bore a resemblence to a foreigner who begs with three dogs in Zhongli. Not sure if this was a joke or not but it’s the same thing I thought when I saw the photos. Looking closer he does bear a reasonable resemblence… but the dude in question who ive seen a few times recently was quite tall (over 6 feet) with a slimmer build. Face, eye shape, especially nose all similar. Does anybody know/ know more about this guy (or eye color? / nationality) so we can rule him out for the sake of clarity. He has a US/Canadian accent.

Second. Helicopter search, CCTV, “living in the mountains” all say something is not right here. When a cat gets stuck in a tree in Taiwan or somebody steals washing from a line it literally makes primetime news. Watch a couple of hours of TVBS and you’ll see what I mean. There is no way any of this could have happened as stated without it making a media footprint of some kind. Also it just sounds like straight up bullsh*t. Granted if one statement was questionable, not every statement.

Third. “Missing persons investigation”. When a person is missing or is wanted for a crime anywhere, part of the search involves taking a look at that person’s “community”. A lot of people have said that DB had no connection to expat community in Taiwan but that doesn’t insulate the expat community of Taiwan from being a reasonable place to start looking. If nobody here or in the wider expat community recalls hearing a single thing about this - it may suggest there was no investigation or that for some reason or another no effective investigation.

Apple daily - this is a very good idea and if nobody else has a better line on them I can harass a friend of a friend with a link to this thread?

Also re: The Gentleman with Dogs. Probably not a good idea to post any actual photos of him as suggested as he’s as entitled to his privacy as any of us.

4 Likes

My brother is 6’2" if somebody said this guy was over 6’ tall

if some family member could have come from canada, and given some pressure to taiwan police directly, you might have had more info now. If someone can come now, you will be able to know if the wife really filef a report to police, or is it already confirmed?

1 Like

I assume since Interpol is involved and foreign affairs.
Would just like a copy of her missing persons report

As far as I’m aware Taiwan is not an interpol member and arrangements to share such information may not exist on any established basis.

Is there an active case in Canada or with interpol regarding David?

Clarity on this question: When you are contacting these organisations - you may well be given some kind of reference for your particular issue but it does not equate to an official open case.

If there is a case this would suggest a case exists in Taiwan and they have some official record of his disappearance which should be publicly available in some form. Or at the very least available to next of kin.

If there is no official case, just ongoing correspondence between your family and RCMP/Interpol. It’s a different kettle of fish and there may well be no case or record in Taiwan.

Sorry if any of the above comes across as rude - I’m just trying to offer clarity on what may be available in terms of records.

Very few people actually live on Green Island and probably little to no affluent people. Maybe 3000 but not much more. People there live a very very simple life. A trip to the 7/11 is a big event. Most don’t have or need cars. Nearly all transport is scooter.
Sometimes disconnected from mainland for days when typhoon prevents boat or air traffic. There is scuba there if it matters.

I doubt it is him, but I’ll ask him next time I bump into him. Bear in mind that in the unlikely event that it is then he clearly doesn’t want to be found. I don’t come across him very often.

He’s an interesting character. Fluent in Chinese to the point where he can write, but chooses to live by begging. I’m pretty sure he’s Canadian.

Obviously I can’t take pictures of the guy.

1 Like

I have a case file here in Canada for my case, I am trying to get a case number for it in Taiwan so I can verify events to the story I was told.
I heard Taiwan is not an Interpol nation but maybe that is the route my police have to go to get any info, which apparently is none.

Can always talk about tattoos and ask if he has any in a round about way

2 Likes

Please link to an actual case. Been here forever and have seen stories like this in the news. Taiwan Legend?
Most missing foreigners seemed to be victims of hiking accidents?

2 Likes

It is 8 hours to Taitung by train, then take a ferry.

People who are visiting, not residents, usually rent a scooter there to get around. The island is very small, you cannot drive hours to get anywhere on it, an hour or so corner to corner tops.

Most people who live there are Aboriginal and actually not very well off.

Last time there was a helicopter there on the news was an medical evac that came down in a storm.

As said before, Green island is not Hawaii. Very rustic. Very flat.

And helicopter search implies big mountains like we have in the center of Taiwan island proper. Again, in some cases where the police and official rescue parties have faile dto find someone, a professional mountaineer can be hired, and they usually get to people -or their remains- in a couple of days.

I feel this thread is like a blind man describing an elephant. How are we suddenly on Green Island?

1 Like

Dave’s ex-wife lives there

Lives there now, I thought maybe that’s where she lived when he went to visit on moped before disappearing.
That obviously was not the case, so lets forget about green island.

@Davesbrother

If these are already answered, I am sorry, but, the timeline is not very clear for me.

So, your brother came to taiwan in 2004 and worked at a highschool in taichun (fact).

He married to a tiwanese and got a baby 5 years ago (fact).

He has not used his passport since he used it to enter taiwan last time (fact).

You filed his missing to canadian police and interpole 2 years ago (fact).

All else are just the wife said?

When is the last time of your contact with him? And when did you take a contact to his wife? When did she file a repoet to taiwanese police, according to her?

Is he still on ARC or did he switch it to APRC already, you know?

1 Like