Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

Dear Jim, I would like to walk you through what has happened over the past few months. Dave and I have been having disagreements over certain issues. He left our taidong home unhappily on the night of November 15th 2016 and our scooter was found the next day in Hualien. The scooter condition looked as if Dave has been trying hard to fix it, it broke down. I’ve contacted the police and went to the vicinity to get the surveillance videos and hired helicopters and rescue search teams to take aerial shots but to no avail. Two days before Chinese New Year, I’ve applied for the ministry of labor and ministry of health to dig out his recent activities . These will prove whether he is working at schools or a company and if he had visited any medical facilities . Dave is still family and Amber misses him very much. I am doing all that I can to find him and using all my resources. I just want him to be safe. I will not cease to look for him. The Dave that I know, he isn’t likely to give up on his own life , I am wondering if you could give me some insights into his disappearance. I will let you know first hand once I get any news.

2 Likes

The police should have put out a call on TV news for anyone who drove along that road on November 16 and saw, or best of all might have dashcam footage of, a foreigner by a scooter at the roadside, or walking up the road, or trying to thumb a lift, or doing whatever. The policeman who spoke in that news video could and should have done so. It’s a busy road, and there must have been a lot of people who passed by and noticed him. That would be the best source of information as to what might have happened to him after his scooter stopped running and he dumped it, and perhaps cast some light on how the front of the scooter got damaged.

1 Like

Suicidal and trying to fix the scooter, if true, wife didn’t think him suicidal either…unless all lies of course.

1 Like

Did she send this to you recently? Or was this a while ago?
If recent, wow! Great that she is contacting you!

While ago, was sent to my dad

Did she follow up with the results?
(note, that is weird…quote function put your words as my words…quote in a quote!!!)

If bike was out of gas or broken down I do not believe suicide, if it was fully operational then perhaps, but still do not think so. Loved his daughter too much.

Let’s hope not and for the best outcome.

You have to quote the original or it does that.

1 Like

I never heard about results other than tax forms for 2016 and 2017 to show no income

It is possible to work under the table here. Actually quite easy. But why do that and hide? As you said, he was a family man and loved his daughter too much to just give it all up and hide. And there was no reason to hide, right? He was not in any kind of financial trouble, mob trouble, drugs (sorry, but need to eliminate the possibilities) etc?

That Dear Jim letter is written by a native speaker no? Or is it a translation?

2 Likes

The grammar is correct. Quite obvious it was from a native speaker.
(sorry, I read it wrong)

That was exactly how it was sent, we think somebody else wrote it for her.
Too many correct english grammar that was not used in other conversations .

I can never be 100% sure but believe he was not involved with any bad situations, drugs, gambling etc

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. It too good for 98% of Taiwanese written skills.

I’m not an English teacher, but it looks pretty damn good to me. I don’t know about “[q]uite obvious it was from a non-native speaker” as it is better than many posts I’ve seen here from actual native speakers. :2cents:

Looking more closely at the shots of the scooter in the video, it doesn’t look so much like it was damaged, but rather that the front panels had been taken off, presumably in an effort to find out the cause of its conking out and fix it.

Is it possible that the battery would be located underneath those panels?

20190221_200921