Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

Not sure about government but I believe well off financially

That explains a bit.

I know people have told you to invest in a private investigator but I do not think they are reliable nor usually stand by the side of the foreigners.

Contact the Foreign Affairs Police in Taiwan. Find out if a missing person case has been filed. That is the starting point.

5 Likes

I can’t afford the private investigator and agree they may not have my best interest, if I pay by the week I’m sure it would drag on too.
Called my local police tonight and Taiwan police and sent Canadian trade office in Taipei a message, they have my email now.
Will make some more contact tomorrow

1 Like

This is good advice. Try this first !

3 Likes

Thank you for answering my questions. I am writing an article about your brother. Right, now I’m still gathering information from all sources. I have already read all your posts here and in FB. Will try to contact the wife and some of Dave’s last known friends, based on his two FB accounts. I might contact you soon if I need additional information. I’m hoping by posting the news, someone who might know any information on the whereabouts of Dave would come forward.

1 Like

Couldn’t it also indicate that they maybe got a mutually agreed divorce a while ago? Those could be fast, even though having children might make it more than the 30min or so you need without…

Eh allegedly he was trying to reconcile with his wife when he “got lost” and no actual divorce has been mentioned.

What I fear is that there is a provision in the requisites for divorce, that if one party leaves the other, then the divorce may be granted. However, one would assume that logic says that in order to declare that the other party has left the marital abode, the authorities would communicate with the person to verify he/she is not in the abode by their own will.

So the wife may have presented the paperwork that the guy left her, when he has been “missing” since she does not know where he is, in order to get a divorce. If that is so, and the authorities just took it as a fact, then we have a problem. This assuming he left because he is not at home is problematic. She tells them he left one day and did not come back and teh authorities grant a divorce and he is forgotten. It does not matter what reason there was, he just vanishes from the face of the earth, is forgotten, all is well?

I know, I know, this is Taiwan, Taiwan is safe, etc. ad nauseum. But i really do not like that no one knows for sure what happened, not the wife, the cops don´t care and the family is far away. The daughter is gonna think he left her and will hate him forever more.

3 Likes

Here are some addresses and phone numbers. I don’t know Chinese, and I’m not familiar with the local or national police, so if anything posted below is erroneous, questionable, or incomplete, I welcome any corrections or additions.

警政署國際組
Foreign Affairs Department, National Police Administration
臺北市中正區忠孝東路一段7號
No. 7, Section 1, Zhongxiao East Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City
Telephone (02)23213175

[Edited to add: Here is another phone number, which appears to be for a group called the Foreign Affairs Police Corps: (02) 23940238. I’m not sure what the Foreign Affairs Police Corps is, but I include the number in case it might be helpful.]

臺北市政府警察局外事科
Foreign Affairs Division, Taipei City Police Department
臺北市中正區延平南路 96 號
96, Yanping South Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City
Telephone (02)23817494

These appear to be webpages from the Police Radio Station site (I’m just posting this for information, because I think the police radio has to be used through the police):

https://www.pbs.gov.tw/eng/index.php

https://www.pbs.gov.tw/eng/index.php?code=list&ids=122

If this isn’t helpful, please ignore it, with my apologies.

1 Like

That sounds great. Message me if you need any more info. Thsnks

Thank you

You’re welcome.

If you live in the middle of taipei city, and your moped breaks down. You would just take a taxi or mrt. The story does not make any sense at all. Noone in their right mind is going to step into a car with 4 complete strangers. Not in Taipei.

1 Like

Stephen King has one of his characters, a policeman (I forget which book), mention something he calls the “one-armed man” idea. That is, one sign of guilt is that a witness, when questioned, suddenly remembers the appearance of some mysterious person (like the “one-armed man” from the TV series The Fugitive), in order to deflect attention from themselves.

I don’t think people in Taipei have the time or interest to pull over when someones scooter breaks down, you would just have to push it to a garage shop, which are all over the place. Or if you are lucky and have the garage shops owners phonenumber he could come pick it up with a blue truck or something…

1 Like

In such cases in the USA as seen in all those crime stories,seems the spouse is definitely a person of interest. In which case she should undergo one of those police questioning sessions with the cameras and recorders and a lie detector test as well.

Unfortunately in many cases it’s the spouse that did the person in.

You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to smell a rat here.

A white foreigner doesn’t just go missing in Taiwan. Unless he went hiking in the mountains by himself. That doesn’t seem to have happened here according to his wife and the 4 men in a car .

Why would a devoted father simply abandon his daughter ? Doesn’t make sense this story.

Regrettably I’m not overly confident the man is ok.

2 Likes

I think, if he did get into a car with someone, it was unrelated to scooter breakdown, and just coincidence. If he got into a car, it was for another reason.

And in Taipei, there is no reason to get into a car with someone just because your scooter breaks down. Taipei is just to common, easy, convenient to get around on own without a scooter or someone to help.

I don’t think people can be forced to take a polygraph test.

Lets back up a bit.
My brother lived in Taipei with his wife and daughter, she no longer lived there. I was told he would have drove the scooter/moped for hours to reach her residence. Had a discussion/argument and left on the moped. They found the moped broke down, looked like somebody was trying to fix it. They checked the surveillance cameras and saw the car pull over and 4 guys get out and 5 get in. So wife not deflecting if there was video proof. Thing is what road was he travelling on and what are the odds a car would pick him up ?
He was not an irresponsible person, would have got the moped fixed or taken to a garage, obviously was he means of transportation.

1 Like

How far away is Green Island from Taipei?
Never mind I see it is an island off the coast, can’t ride a moped there.

Have you seen the cctv?