Mistresses in Taiwan

In some cultures, like France, it is quite OK to have a mistress. What are attitudes like in Taiwan? I guess that the influence of conservative Chinese values make it acceptable.

Yeah right :unamused:

I’ve been threatened with a blender.

Read Jin Ping Mei.

Or ask the locals. You will find that lots of local married men have girlfriends. They even boast about it.

Well it’s not quite blender material but I do get the ‘death stare’…acceptable? yeh back during the Ching Dynasty.

my wife has threatened to blend what she claims to be hers and only only hers, should i share it with a mistress

that’s what i meant

and she’s dreamed about this!

I always wonder about some married couples here,

Long story short, the “patriarch” of the family, and therefore the head of the company that I used to work for had his “own” apartment 3 floors above the family apartment. After the old man passed away, the new boss (his son) let me use some furniture that he had stored there. The place was a total bachelor pad, mirrored walls and ceilings, black leather furniture, dark grained marble floors, huge master suite with a HUGE bed (as compared to the bedroom in the family home which was quite small which I was given a tour of both apartments). It was WILD…

Yet, when I mentioned this to one of my more liberal co-workers at the time, she was shocked to hear my assumption that it was his xiaojie hangout, or that he had a mistress… but the apartment just screamed but I am not going to divorce my wife…

You’re not by any chance married to a Thai are you, Alleycat? Always used to read lots of stories of Thai wives chopping it off and blending it or feeding it to chickens if their hubbies strayed. Which is rather strange, because on the whole, Thai society seems to encourage and accept extra-marital relationships more than most other Asian societies. When I was teaching in Bangkok during a short sojourn there many years ago, I sometimes asked my young female students if they would mind their husbands frequenting brothels after they were married, and most of them responded that of course they wouldn’t mnd, as if such brothel-hopping was obviously and most indisputably a married man’s God-given right.

Well, my sweetie wouldn’t stand for that sort of thing. And what with rising divorce rates and all that, I’m sure a lot of women agree with her. But what are they going to do after they have a bunch of kids, and THEN they catch hubby with the hsiao-chie [xiaojie]?

Taiwanese men are notoriously unfaithful. Some have mistresses, some have other wives in the mainland, some just have favorite prostitutes they frequent.

I remember, early on, a dinner with several executives from one of the local papers. One of my friends brought me. Each guy there had a woman half his age at his side. Each was introduced as his “friend.” It was the beginning of an education on this issue.

When they explain their behavior to me, the usually say something like: " I know it’s wrong. I’ll never leave my wife. But I’m a man, and I have to have other women."

It seems to be perfectly acceptable to have a mistress here, and Husband will even appear in public (pubs, parties, etc.) dragging the mistress along…and sometimes even Wife’s “friends” will cover for him…
But the same guy will freak out if he sees another guy as much as LOOK at WIFE.
My father once sat me down and explained that it’s ok for him (and men) to have mistresses, because they just enter and withdraw; but it’s not ok for my mother (and women) to explore as the man actually enters her and leaves all kinds of stuff behind.
I think I’m still in need of therapy…

ROTFL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROTFL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

EXACTLY!!! Why, only last week I lost a perfectly good pair of gardening gloves that way. And although I’ve searched high and low, I just cannot seem to find my guitar tuner anywhere.

Yes Sandman, sounds like “Strap a plank to yer arse” material!

EXACTLY!!! Why, only last week I lost a perfectly good pair of gardening gloves that way. And although I’ve searched high and low, I just cannot seem to find my guitar tuner anywhere.[/quote]

Losing stuff is bad enough - finding stuff is worse.

Thanks guys! You’ve given me the best laugh I’ve had in weeks. I hereby vote for Hexuan’s last offering as Lol of the Month.

(Which makes me think: How about having a Lol of the Month thread?)

[quote=“Alleycat”]my wife has threatened to blend what she claims to be hers and only only hers, should i share it with a mistress

and she’s dreamed about this![/quote]

Oh, I think I know your wife! (just kidding)

My friend says Lorena’s mistake was leaving it it one piece because she would have put it in a blender.

J.

I second that LOL of the Month award!

J.

EXACTLY!!! Why, only last week I lost a perfectly good pair of gardening gloves that way. And although I’ve searched high and low, I just cannot seem to find my guitar tuner anywhere.[/quote]

Losing stuff is bad enough - finding stuff is worse.[/quote]

Hexuan, I need to get some potting out done soon, so I need those gloves back ASAP. Thanks.