Mitsubishi Galant VR6

Has anyone ever owned a Taiwan made Galant ? The models manufactured in Japan were marketed as VR6, and were rampant before 2000. But Taiwan seems to have the same design Galant even after 2000, but less the ‘VR6’ mark.

How do you rate the Galant made in Taiwan ?

I own a Galant made in 2000 and the car is actually fine car. They are different than American and Japanese versions engine vise.
VR6 is i think 2500cc engine which is not available in Taiwan originally but they sell those engines on yahoo or other online sites.
The ones they sold in Taiwan are 2000cc V6 engines, same block with 2500cc
American version was a 4 cyclinder much like Grunder engine now.

There is i believe only 2 trims in Taiwanese versions EXi and GS or GL something like that. EXi is higher model should have 4 airbags, sunroof and electronic climate control.

The models made after 2001 i believe have slightly different body look and inside have slight difference (ugly tail lights compared to original and a bigger hood with grill attached to it and window buttons are all in the middle console in the newer ones, no space to put junk)

[quote=“nazmikarakoc”]I own a Galant made in 2000 and the car is actually fine car. They are different than American and Japanese versions engine vise.
VR6 is I think 2500cc engine which is not available in Taiwan originally but they sell those engines on yahoo or other online sites.
The ones they sold in Taiwan are 2000cc V6 engines, same block with 2500cc
American version was a 4 cyclinder much like Grunder engine now.
[/quote]

Good to hear from an ex-owner. Since it’s a V6 engine, may I presume that the ride was smooth and quiet ?

I agree that the big grille does look as good as the original ‘shark face’ look. I have had the experience of test driving the VR6 when it was first launched. It was very quiet and smooth. Not sure of the Taiwan version though.

Yeah it is quite and there is no vibration from engine like the 4 cyclinder ones.

When you rev it up to 5-6k rpm it has a nice tune to it.

So what prompted you to give up such a good car ?

I think the VR6 made an even better buy in the U.K. where the value was severely understated on Mitsu’s. People get scared of 6 cylinder engines as they feer they are too complicated and expensive to fix, but the truth is quite the opposite, offering some really good deals on such vehicles that are only 2 or 3 years old. I came very close to buying one back when, but in the end ended up coming over here. Good engines and reasonable cars really. Some niggly faults with the Taiwan built versions and the prices indicate that with Japanese Mitsu’s fetching much mopre than locally built versions. I can’t claim to know too much about average faults with Taiwan versions though as I have few people interested in them as used cars. Mitsu’s here aren’t treated as well as Toyotas overall and seem to be considered a little more disposable by many owners judging by used conditions. I would be intterested though if a nice one came up.

I was going to say that the Mitsubishi Lancers and Galants tend to be bought by younger Ah Huangs with more taste for bling than regular maintenance. I see a lot with flashy rims covered in worn out tires, smoked lamp covers with burned out bulbs etc. etc. It does look like they tend to get beaten on pretty hard. I would say any sign of modification with this car should be seen as a serious warning as to it’s underlying condition.

By the way, i am still driving mine.

That surely is a vote of confidence.

Did you have to go to the workshop often ?

Did you have to go to the workshop often ?[/quote]

Only for the engine oil change and filter replacement. I Just had the transmission fluid changed recently but it’s been more than 2 years since i bought it and continuously hard driving and it still holds up pretty good.

Did you have to go to the workshop often ?[/quote]

Only for the engine oil change and filter replacement. I Just had the transmission fluid changed recently but it’s been more than 2 years since i bought it and continuously hard driving and it still holds up pretty good.[/quote]

That’s wonderful. And despite being a 2000 car, it still maintains the quietness.

Yes, when i bought it there was some tires on it, i don’t remember the brand now, I changed them to Yokohama silent ones and there was a huge difference. It is more quite than my previous cars, which i owned in US. (Chrysler NewYorker, Camaro RS).

If i decide to change it, it will only be due to reaching for my dream car.

[quote=“nazmikarakoc”]
If i decide to change it, it will only be due to reaching for my dream car.[/quote]

Which is ? Let me guess…Boxster ?

[quote=“mezziahmac”][quote=“nazmikarakoc”]
If i decide to change it, it will only be due to reaching for my dream car.[/quote]

Which is ? Let me guess…Boxster ?[/quote]

My cousin have a Cayman, not so much my type neither Boxster.

i am thinking Audi or Subaru but it gets foggy after that, i can’t decide. Also need to convince the wife.