Mitt Romney is Not Scum

And not worse than scum. And that is my opinion. And I’ll tell you why.
There’s different types of politicians. There’s the type who stick to their principles no matter what. And then there’s the type that take special care to represent the principles of their constituents. There’s a whole spectrum there. Most politicians would be found in the middle somewhere. I think Romney is closer to the latter. If he’s representing Massachusetts, then he will be moderate. For today’s Republican party, he must be very conservative. It’s more of a business type decision. You change your product to match the marketplace, or you don’t do very well.

It’s not a bad trait at all. We don’t have enough compromise in USA politics today. I don’t believe in supply-side economics, and I believe that Government has a role to play in helping people to have a better opportunity to life, liberty, etc. So I won’t vote for him, but I will support him if he wins. Just like I did Bush, until he turned out to be total scum.

Cool. Only one thread! Romney is a banana without of a peel! :cactus:

I just feel sorry for the Romney supporters.

Setting the bar rather low don’t you think.

I prefer eggs to bananas. :bravo:

Mitt Romney is nothing more than a hairdo, held together by talking points. A nice man IRL, but at work, he is non-committal, flip-floppy and lacking in empathy (Bain Mitt was a hardass, he should have kept that persona). He is NOBODY’S ideal candidate, but I think secretly the GOP know they can’t beat Barry Browntown so that is why he is running. IF this election was winnable Christie, Rubio, Jeb and the like would have been deeper in the mix this summer and we’d be seeing more of Ms Palin.

The GOP sent the B team in with a game plan doomed from the start. They are chomping at the bit for 2016.

You mean to say there are politicians who would try to find out what is the right course of action, and once that action is found he/she would stick to it no matter how difficult. And there’s the other who will do or say anything to get big donations and get elected?

You say that as if you had no clue that in politics a candidate is a whole other animal than a president, especially if they have the same name. That’s a joke: you are obviously clueless. :wink:

Romney’s bigger if related problem is that the GOP is a coalition of groups with different - often mutually exclusive - goals united around the idea that compromise is a dirty word. To make matters worse, ANY compromise is a dirty word with the most energetic of them (the tea party), even if its intra-party. And I don’t think he’s the guy who, through sheer force of personality, unites them.

I agree with Doc, I’ll support him if he’s elected. I also think he just might make a very good president, even though he could hardly be a worse candidate.

How so? Romney has promised to repeal ObamaCare his first day. Will you support his decision? Romney has promised to pass the Ryan budget or one similar. That will turn Medicare into a voucher program and gut Medicaid. Will you support that too? House Republicans are almost sure to try and privatize Social Security, and Romney will have no choice but to go along. Will you support that? Romney said last night he will pull federal funding on public broadcast. In his corner for that too?

How so? Romney has promised to repeal ObamaCare his first day. Will you support his decision? Romney has promised to pass the Ryan budget or one similar. That will turn Medicare into a voucher program and gut Medicaid. Will you support that too? House Republicans are almost sure to try and privatize Social Security, and Romney will have no choice but to go along. Will you support that? Romney said last night he will pull federal funding on public broadcast. In his corner for that too?[/quote]
I will support him because he won the election. He may not do the things I want him to, but he will be the elected president of the United States of America.

How so? Romney has promised to repeal ObamaCare his first day. Will you support his decision? Romney has promised to pass the Ryan budget or one similar. That will turn Medicare into a voucher program and gut Medicaid. Will you support that too? House Republicans are almost sure to try and privatize Social Security, and Romney will have no choice but to go along. Will you support that? Romney said last night he will pull federal funding on public broadcast. In his corner for that too?[/quote]
I will support him because he won the election. He may not do the things I want him to, but he will be the elected president of the United States of America.[/quote]
:bravo:

I am a big supporter of the ACA, in that I do believe health care in this day and age to be a right. But the way the President and the Democratic Congress turned their backs on the GOP and huddled over it and ran it through and passed it was just horrible.

And I believe Romney made it clear that he would “replace” certain laws, including the ACA and Dodd-Frank. Repeal means a whole different thing. Let’s not be disingenuous there GBH.

I will support him because he won the election. He may not do the things I want him to, but he will be the elected president of the United States of America.[/quote]

I didn’t ask “why”, I asked “how”. Are you going to suddenly reverse your policy positions? I think you mean you’ll “support” him in a vague, general, and basically meaningless way.

[quote=“rodeo”]I am a big supporter of the ACA, in that I do believe health care in this day and age to be a right. But the way the President and the Democratic Congress turned their backs on the GOP and huddled over it and ran it through and passed it was just horrible.

And I believe Romney made it clear that he would “replace” certain laws, including the ACA and Dodd-Frank. Repeal means a whole different thing. Let’s not be disingenuous there GBH.[/quote]

As Obama asked last night, replace with WHAT? Is it secret? The ACA is based on MassCare. Romney stated that he favors states making their own plans, not the federal government, but he wants to keep the popular provisions…so…uh…yeah…that’s his “plan”.

Doesn’t make sense? Let’s try again. Romney is opposed to federal involvement in health care, and believes it is a matter for the states. Romney is in favor of the popular provisions of ObamaCare, and will “replace” ObamaCare with a law preserving those provisions. So how can he pass a federal health care law when he is opposed to federal health care laws? Well, he can’t. It is a logical contradiction. His position is incoherent.

If you’re a big supporter of the ACA, then you’re a fool to vote for Romney. He will certainly have enough political capital to jam a full repeal through the Senate, and it will be history. You’re wrong that the Democrats “turned their backs” on Republicans. Democrats accepted more than 200 Republicans amendments into the final bill, and tried hard to win Republican support. Once Senator Chuck Grassley announced he could no longer support health care reform because the “good people of Indiana are opposed”, the Democrats had no choice to move forward on their own.

Moving on to Dodd-Frank…Romney says he will repeal Dodd-Frank and “replace” it with “something else”. He won’t say what. Another super-secret-really-awesome law he’s got in store for us, I’m sure. He won’t even say which provisions he’s opposed to and which he’s in favor against. He claimed last night to be campaigning on “principles”, and yet those principles are entirely unclear. I have no idea what Romney believes in. Is he the liberal New England Republican, or Mr. Superconservative? Maybe you can enlighten us because you’re a supporter. Of course, you’re also BOTH a Romney supporter AND a supporter of the ACA, a law he believes is unconstitutional and should be repealed in toto. Actually, you’re a lot like Romney. Full of contradictions and incoherent. So I’m not expecting much out of you.

[quote=“Gao Bohan”][quote=“rodeo”]I am a big supporter of the ACA, in that I do believe health care in this day and age to be a right. But the way the President and the Democratic Congress turned their backs on the GOP and huddled over it and ran it through and passed it was just horrible.

And I believe Romney made it clear that he would “replace” certain laws, including the ACA and Dodd-Frank. Repeal means a whole different thing. Let’s not be disingenuous there GBH.[/quote]

As Obama asked last night, replace with WHAT? Is it secret? The ACA is based on MassCare. Romney stated that he favors states making their own plans, not the federal government, but he wants to keep the popular provisions…so…uh…yeah…that’s his “plan”.

Doesn’t make sense? Let’s try again. Romney is opposed to federal involvement in health care, and believes it is a matter for the states. Romney is in favor of the popular provisions of ObamaCare, and will “replace” ObamaCare with a law preserving those provisions. So how can he pass a federal health care law when he is opposed to federal health care laws? Well, he can’t. It is a logical contradiction. His position is incoherent.

If you’re a big supporter of the ACA, then you’re a fool to vote for Romney. He will certainly have enough political capital to jam a full repeal through the Senate, and it will be history. You’re wrong that the Democrats “turned their backs” on Republicans. Democrats accepted more than 200 Republicans amendments into the final bill, and tried hard to win Republican support. Once Senator Chuck Grassley announced he could no longer support health care reform because the “good people of Indiana are opposed”, the Democrats had no choice to move forward on their own.

Moving on to Dodd-Frank…Romney says he will repeal Dodd-Frank and “replace” it with “something else”. He won’t say what. Another super-secret-really-awesome law he’s got in store for us, I’m sure. He won’t even say which provisions he’s opposed to and which he’s in favor against. He claimed last night to be campaigning on “principles”, and yet those principles are entirely unclear. I have no idea what Romney believes in. Is he the liberal New England Republican, or Mr. Superconservative? Maybe you can enlighten us because you’re a supporter. Of course, you’re also BOTH a Romney supporter AND a supporter of the ACA, a law he believes is unconstitutional and should be repealed in toto. Actually, you’re a lot like Romney. Full of contradictions and incoherent. So I’m not expecting much out of you.[/quote]
Gosh, why so nasty GBH?

What a tool.

I won’t apologize for being outside the scope of clear definition. I contain multitudes, yo.

I think you miss the point about Romney’s “lack of a plan.” He has an plan. he also is willing to work across the aisle. Why thrown down and say this or nothing? How does that benefit our system of government or its process?

President Obama laid down a whole lot of stuff. How much of it actually went through? Anything substantial and not incredibly divisive?

Maybe a guy who shows us that we can all actually get along is what we need. :thumbsup:

I didn’t ask “why”, I asked “how”. Are you going to suddenly reverse your policy positions? I think you mean you’ll “support” him in a vague, general, and basically meaningless way.[/quote]
How? Just by being there.
Romney has as much chance of replacing Medicare with a voucher program as Bush had with Social Security.
The Republic will survive.

You’re right. Sorry about that. Please accept my apologies.

He has an economic plan. The non-partisan Tax Policy Center estimates it will shift some of the tax burden from the wealthy to the middle class, which I believe is immoral, but at least it’s a tangible plan. He doesn’t have a health care plan. He doesn’t have a financial reform plan. He has contradictory and incoherent “principles”, not plans.

Would an example of that be when he declared that he would reject a compromise budget debt reduction plan, even if it were weighted 10 to 1 in favor of cuts to tax hikes? Obama called him on it last night and Romney didn’t refute it. So what’s this “work across the aisle” stuff?

Divisive and substantial are not contradictory. A law can be both substantial and divisive, as the stimulus package, ACA, and Dodd-Frank all proved to be. He’s one of the most successful Democrats in American history, in terms of substantial legislative accomplishments, comparable to FDR and LBJ. That’s an objective fact, regardless of whether you support him or his laws.

I have no idea what Romney actually believes, but up until last night, he’s presented himself as the most conservative candidate since Barry Goldwater. He’s more conservative than Reagan, based solely on his policy positions.

Mitt Romney was in a tough position, of course, in that he had to move far to the right, really to the far right, to win the Republican nomination. Now he’s Etch-a-Sketching smack dab in the center. He’s basically taking the usual pattern to the extreme. The trouble is that it leaves us without any idea what he really believes in.

But none of that is particularly relevant, actually. If Romney wins, he’ll be facing an aggressive Republican majority in the House and probably the Senate, as a Romney win would probably mean Republican Senate victories as well. They’re not interested in compromise. Republicans collectively experience Obama Derangement Syndrome, and their primary goal is to repeal everything Obama has done, starting with the ACA. They’ve stated this in no uncertain terms, and so has Romney. The Romney Administration would be highly partisan, regardless of Mitt’s personal convictions, whatever they are.

The bill has already passed the House. It only has to get through the Senate and on to Romney’s desk. It is possible Senate Democrats could filibuster it, but I doubt it would last. The same bill would repeal Obamacare completely. Romney’s “First Day” pledge may be unrealistic, but I think he could pull it off within 100 days.

Yes, but some of the 100,000 high risk patients currently receiving medical treatmen from the federal government, many of whom have cancer or other life-threatening diseases, may not survive. Some of the 15 million Americans expected to receive Medicaid in 2014, but won’t under Romney, may not survive. Some of the 15 million people who will buy health insurance in 2014 (who cannot be refused by the insurance companies), but won’t under Romney, may not survive. This is serious business.