Mixed Level Class

I am now facing a problem; I want to teach my students elementary English grammar, but the age range in my class is really wide, from 5 to 10. The youngest one can only write A-Z. Although she’s good at speaking and listening, I think it’s still difficult for her to understand as well as the other students.

Do you have any solutions such as activities or lessons good for mixed level classes? How do you solve problem like this? :help: :help:

[quote=“AniSll”]I am now facing a problem; I want to teach my students the elementary English grammar, but the age range in my class is from 5 to 10, the youngest one can only write A-Z, although she’s good at speaking and listening, I think it’s still difficult for her to understand as it’s easier for other students.

Do you have any solutions? How do you solve the problem like this? :help: :help:[/quote]

You’re better off teaching grammar in a very indirect way. Read a sentence and ask “WHO wants to eat Red Riding Hood up?”

“WHAT does the wolf want to do?”

This way you can teach sub/verb.

Whatever you do, I pesonally think it’s a bad idea to teach “real” grammar to kids who can’t read yet.

Good luck

jds

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Whatever you do, I pesonally think it’s a bad idea to teach “real” grammar to kids who can’t read yet.
jds[/quote]

Same here. And it’s also a bad idea to put different ages students like this in one class. :raspberry:

Do I have to just forget about teaching them grammar? :s

No, but you can introduce them to grammar the natural way, just by teaching them correct sentences. That’s what JD was saying.

Teaching them not to say “Yes, I like”, and rather to say “Yes, I do” is teaching grammar, indirectly. And that’s the best way with kids. Formal grammar is for adults, a kind of shortcut to understanding general rules about why the sentence must be this way, but it’s not suitable for kids because it’s too abstractly analytical (and boring).

[quote=“AniSll”][quote=“jdsmith”]
jds[/quote]

Same here. And it’s also a bad idea to put different ages students like this in one class. :raspberry:

Do I have to just forget about teaching them grammar? :s[/quote]

Teach them to read, comprehend the story via lots and LOTS of Q&A and you ARE teaching grammar. You can start with simple Yes/No questions and build up from there.

The age mix is bad, but it could be ok IF you ensure the younger ones don’t get TOO far behind.

peace
jds

So I think I will be looking for some English story books for my kids. That way they can learn some words and grammar indirectly. :sunglasses: Any suggestion?

Have I got a series for you

TRY THIS OUT

OR

THIS ONE

I have used both of these books and vouch for them

JD, I most certainly hope that the check is in the mail