Mixed-Race Kids

Omni: Sorry for not reading your posts too carefully, but they do tend to be rather long.
Distilling your argument down . You presumably believe that Brazillians
are (on average) the intellectual masters of the world as they have the greatest racial mix in the average person & that the Japanese are the intellectual dumbos as they have the least.

Correct ?

The brazilian gals are better looking.

The Japanese are smart enough to not have figured out how to get the country out of a 12-year slump.

I’m very glad that Brazil was mentioned. I concur with Mr He’s observations on Brazilian femalekind and, in addition, Brazilians just seem physically hardy and strong.

But my major passion in life, apart from motorcycle touring, is Brazilian music. Of course when I say this, most people will think first bossa nova, then carnival samba (samba-enredo). Brilliant though much music in those genres is, there are many, many more kinds of Brazilian music equally or more passionate and hip-swinging. If anyone wants to talk more about this, perhaps we can start another thread, but my point in relation to this thread is that in my opinion, Brazilian music is so vital, direct, varied and powerful because it is a mixture of musical cultures- Portuguese/continental European song, and African religious and ritual music. (There is also a small and increasing influence from indigenous Brazilian music although not as much, perhaps, as the apologists for the success of Brazil’s ‘racial democracy’ would like to think).

I hope I do not offend anyone when I observe that I would much prefer to own a mongrel dog than a pure breed because they are generally stronger and healthier.

I don’t have any opinion as to mixed races with regards to intelligence, and feel disturbed when any kind of superiority regarding any racial issues is mentioned, simply because such talk has led to so many injustices in the past.

Mod Lang’s points are excellent. I sometimes feel that fervent nationalists from any country would be less anti- other races or countries were they to consider what a mix they themselves are. Take Britain as an example. In the 60s there were a number of anti-immigration, strongly nationalist politicians who enjoyed some popularity. Part of their contention was that the British were a ‘pure race’ and that they should not be ‘contaminated’ by other races. Yet they themselves, as all we Brits are, were a mix of Germanic, Scandinavian and probably southern European (Celtic) blood, to name the major constituents only.

Of course to be proud of aspects of one’s culture is a great thing, but that’s not the same thing as being anti-other cultures, races or countries based on false historical premises.

So, to conclude, both inter-racial and intercultural mixing is probably a good thing on the whole and can aid mutual appreciation, physical and cultural vitality. That’s as dogmatic as I get!

Wish the mods would split this (sorry to be anal). I mean, what does any of this mixed-race business have to do with opinions about women?

And, I would say mixed-ethnicity, not race per se.
But your argument is flawed.

My 20-something neice is mixed-race and although she’s sort of cute, she’s no raving beauty or einstein, and this sister is very attractive and the smartest in our clan.
However, my youngest neice who was born to two rather homely but intellectual people, my elder sister and her husband, is a beautiful, talented and intelligent child who could win beauty pageants if my sister were the type to subject her child to such ordeals.

I think it’s luck of the draw with the gene business, folks. There’s no conclusive evidence to prove it. Something so biased and slanted as this would be difficult to properly investigate, as well.

[quote=“Alien”]Wish the mods would split this (sorry to be anal). I mean, what does any of this mixed-race business have to do with opinions about women?

And, I would say mixed-ethnicity, not race per se.
But your argument is flawed.

My 20-something neice is mixed-race and although she’s sort of cute, she’s no raving beauty or einstein, and this sister is very attractive and the smartest in our clan.
However, my youngest neice who was born to two rather homely but intellectual people, my elder sister and her husband, is a beautiful, talented and intelligent child who could win beauty pageants if my sister were the type to subject her child to such ordeals.

I think it’s luck of the draw with the gene business, folks. There’s no conclusive evidence to prove it. Something so biased and slanted as this would be difficult to properly investigate, as well.[/quote]
That’s why I made certain to
a) disassociate myself from any linking of intelligence to this issue
b) play up the cultural mixing and play down the genetic issue

My comment about the beauty of Brazilian women was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It is my downfall that I find so very many women from so many different countries attractive.

I agree this needs to be split from the ‘Another opinion about women’ thread.

Glad you agree. I mean, even within families, some kids get the attractive and smart genes while the other kid gets the dreg-combo.
And sometimes we get mixed results.

HOwever, I think it’s a cooler idea to mix ethnicities to see what the kid turns out like, though, rather than Jane Smith and John Smith blonde highschool cheerleader and football star carved-out-of-cream-cheese and their towhead clan.
How utterly boring.
Or The Chen family with their little fat headed, bespectacled kids.

If you mix the Smiths and the Chens you do get a more interesting combination of traits.

[quote=“Mr He”]Bollocks.

Mixed-race kids are more beautiful. End of story, nothing to discuss. The rest of you are just jealous.[/quote]

It is also a fact that the parents of said children are more intelligent and handsome and beautiful and modest than any others.

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“Mr He”]Bollocks.

Mixed-race kids are more beautiful. End of story, nothing to discuss. The rest of you are just jealous.[/quote]

It is also a fact that the parents of said children are more intelligent and handsome and beautiful and modest than any others.[/quote]

At last someone with all the facts.

No. Because as I said, bad genes mixing with bad genes will still end up producing only bad. Those Portuguese colonizers were not exactly what could be described as high-quality human beings – if so, they would have stayed at home minding their own business rather than enslaving other races and commiting genocide on the other side of the world. Now if we Brits, with our more enlightened version of empire, had got there first… :smiley: :wink:

As for the Japanese, I certainly don’t regard them as a generally very talented or attractive people. Some of their women are absolutely gorgeous, but 99% are very far from it. They also have a lot of obvious physical deficiencies: just look at those teeth and bow legs, for a start. As for the men, well, suffice it to say that if I were a gal, I wouldn’t be looking in their direction for a bit of fun. And what has been the sum of the Japanese contribution to global civilization and progress? Pretty small. Apart from showing a certain adeptness in manufacturing and business for a brief period of the 20th century, I can’t see that they have an awful lot to be proud of.

So your examples tend to point more in favour of my arguments than otherwise.

However, if what Jeff said about genes is correct (and it sounded awfully well informed and authoritative), then part of what I wrote earlier would seem to be pretty much blasted to smithereens.

[quote=“Mr He”]The brazilian gals are better looking.

The Japanese are smart enough to not have figured out how to get the country out of a 12-year slump.[/quote]

They might look great from age 12 to 24. after that… major downhill. at 25 they start to look 35.

to paraphrase, the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

mixed kids are great. especially when u have black guys with irish names. (a product of black and irish slaves of america)

Irish slaves , history gone a bit wonky there mate.

Black people commonly have Irish surnames because the overseers on a lot of plantations were Irish immigrants. At least that is the explanation I have heard.

As for mixing races being better for the genes there is some truth in it. While 85% of the variability in genomes is between individuals of the same race that surely doesn’t take into account the LOCATION of the other individuals. If the individuals are breeding in a gene pool in a local area without much mixing then of course there will be some inbreeding in that local population. Therefore if somebody marries a person from another race from another area that virtually GUARANTEES inbreeding is being kept to a minimum. This will of course be an almost equal outbreeding effect if the same race people marry each other from distant locations. Therefore we could come to the conclusion that mixed kids generally are healthier and better off genetically (in genetics terms the fitness of anorganism is highly related to the level of heterozygozity in the genome, or the fact that each gene has at least two versions or more. If the versions of genes are mixed up rather than all being the same type this gives the body a better chance to compensate when we inherit a defective version. This is not conjecture but has been proved many times in fruit flies, plants, mice etc)

Anyway concepts of race are kind of lame. I read recently that skin colour, hair and other obvious ifferences between ‘races’ can be accounted by only a few genes.

If you look at black people you will see huge variations in their genetic stock i.e. comparing pygmies from southern Africa to Tutsis to Hutus to East Africans and so on. Since Africans are pretty much proved to be the original stock of human kind there are huge differences between members of the so called African race, probably as much or more difference than between a given African person and a white person or an African person and an Asian.

Uh . . . sorry, but you’ve got that backwards. To use your number, if TW x TW has 85% variation and DN x DN has 85% variation, a TW x DN will have 85% plus a bit more.

The mathematical proof is easy, and it’s impossible for this not to be the case. Think about it.

Yes, but you’re forgetting that this is because within breeds, dogs are so inbred that they have concentrated the bad genes. Cocker Spaniels go deaf, St. Bernards have trouble with hip dysplasia, and so on, because way back when, some defective dog with an unnoticed problem (but with otherwise-good features) didn’t get thrown out of the gene pool and breeders propagated its genes throughout the breed.

I was reading one of my ex-girlfriend’s dog books one evening, and it mentioned some particular breed (I think a terrier) which the Brits had decided would look cuter if it had a shorter nose, so they changed the “ideal” and bred toward it – and later, some Americans decided the breed would look better with a long nose, so they changed the standard and took the now-short-nosed dogs and bred them to lengthen the nose again . . . all the while making the gene pool shallower. The breed apparently is now known for having many problems.

Just read through this old thread (slow night again at work). It’s quite astounding that a statement like this has provoked such an intelligent and educational discussion. Good on ya mate!

actually, we are all mixed race people, all of us. maybe only the eskimo people in Alasak or Canada are pure anymore.

from reading all your posts, it makes me think twice about getting marry a guy outside of my race. For some reason, I like mixed babies and non-asian, but I do want my kids to look even after 25 yrs-old. Also, doesn’t mixed kids tend to be a bit smarter??? Is there an scientific study for that??

No studies, as it might be mistaken for a kind of racism. But yes, mixed race kids are prettier, smarter and tend to do well.

Adding a culture to your background is a strength.

I don’t know. My brother and sister have had more trouble than I have with school. I am the only one so far who has graduated from college despite all three of us having the opportunity to attend (my brother more so with the GI Bill from his time as an Airborne Ranger in the US Army and my sister more so because of her grades). My brother was always the cool one, my sister was always the pretty one (having long natural copper ringlets didn’t hurt) , and I always got stuck being the smart one, maybe due a little to a lack of being pretty or cool :-B. We grew up in a small racist town in Ohio where the only other black households were either related to us or of the other two families, the Hightowers or the Henleys. It seemed my brother got the brunt of it because he didn’t fit into either group and was the first of us. I got it pretty bad and my sister wasn’t as bad off because she was very cute and I protected her, getting into fist fights regularly until I was 14 with the neighborhood bullies. The odd thing is that while the rest of the world, even my mother, categorized my siblings as being either black or white enough, I never saw them as such. I still struggle to see either race in them. I guess I have always thought of them as my brother (whose daughter has blue eyes and brown hair) and sister and not black, white, or in between.

Places like Japan and Iceland where the people are genetically “pure” are few and far between.

Utter sh1te!
The Japanese are not in any way ‘pure’ . I am reasonably well read in this area so, if Mod Lang would like to elaborate on that comment, I will engage in a discussion. until then, I will simply assume that you are a victim of their propaganda. As for iceland…come on!

** We are the world, we are the children… ** <— Singing

therefore yes, no one is pure and we are one big happy family!!

_/ _/ _/ drinks for everybody!!

MiakaW

there was a film from Brazil a few years ago, a brilliant film, by a Black Indian halfbreed Brazilian dynamo genius, and his point and theme were that in the future, the whole world will be like BRazil and Hawaii and a few other places, i.e., all mixed peoples, one race of mixed people, and prejudice will disappear. I rather like that.

it will take another 15,000 genereations or so, but let’s begin now. MiakaW, what to you say? SMILE