Miyazaki movies!

Well, I found GOTF on Amazon – “widescreen collector’s edition” – but no Porco Rosso. Anyway, I noticed from earlier posts that the soundtracks and dialogues are different in the American editions of these films, so I’m kind of reluctant to go that route.

Finally caught “Spirited Away”. Weird. Weird. Weird.
It should be on the “movies to see small” thread.
I had to watch it with Chinese sound because there were no English subtitles on the version I rented.

[quote=“sandman”]Also, why is it so bloody difficult to find copies of Grave of the Fireflies? My local KPS has nearly all the Miyazaki films – but not GOTF.
The only copies I’ve seen have been cheap pirated VCDs, which I’m not interested in.[/quote]

Sandman: are you still looking for GOTF on DVD? I saw the Ghibli DVD (I think) in the CD shop right next to Kungkuan MRT yesterday. Not cheap though, I believe it was something like around 600 NT (don’t nail me on that). According to the cover, it’s in Japanese with Chinese subtitles. It was the first time I actually saw a GOTF DVD. I’d seen it on German tv (dubbed in German, of course), it’s an amazing movie.

Through the IMDB, I found a poem by Nazim Hikmet that perfectly sums up the movie: http://die-augenweide.de/byrds/song/i_come_and_stand.htm.

HTH
Iris

Me again :?

I went to Geant in Chingmei today, and they had a promotion on all the Miyazaki DVDs (obviously the Ghibli ones): 488 NT each. Looks like most of the titles were there including hong zhu if I remember it right. I picked up one and checked, it said on the back that it had English and Chinese as well as Japanese language tracks.

However, they didn’t have GOTF.

HTH
Iris

The Cat Returns

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind:

Heisei Rigassen ponpoko:

Only Yesterday:

[quote=“cranky laowai”]
1986: Laputa – Castle in the Sky 天空之城 [/quote]

Laputa?

Cranky, that last one. Call me an old softie, but I loved that film. The DVD I rented also had some interesting extras, such as interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff. I’m pretty sure there were English subtitles.
Those otrhers are out for rent, too.

I haven’t seen the last one for rent, only sale. So I haven’t seen it yet.

I just watched Nausicaa the other night. Kind of like an early Princess Mononoke, with lots of flying machines. A little too much awkward exposition at the beginning, but it gets better. Recommended.

Heisei Rigassen ponpoko, which is the one with tanaki (sp?) (the racoon-like creatures), I didn’t much care for. Animals learn to do magic transformations with their balls. :expressionless:

Return of the Cat is a lightweight movie that works best as a comedy.

“Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind” is definitely a book that should be read and not a movie to be watched. The books(3-4 of them) is just fantastic and can be purchased at www.amazon.com. I found the movie wasn’t true to the book and skipped too many parts.

CYA
Okami

Try Asia 1, they’ve had it for ages. Very gentle, nostalgic, idealized view of country life, but quite wonderful.

This site is pretty interesting if you haven’t already seen it.

Nausicaa is da bomb! just my opinion.

I watched that one the other night. I wasn’t liking it as much as some of the others but still I managed to get choked up at the end – to “The Rose,” of all songs! How embarassing is that! But I’m ridiculously sentimental when it comes to movies. That first literal flight into fantasy caught me completely by surprise – delightful!

Did you ever manage to see Grave of the Fireflies?

The movie or the girl, who follows in the Japanese anime tradition of teenage babes who don’t wear underwear? :shock:

Just saw Nausicca and Only Yesterday; my favorite Miyazaki movies remain Laputa: Island in the Sky, My Friend Totoro and Pompoko (the one with the big-balled Raccoons).

[quote]Did you ever manage to see Grave of the Fireflies?
[/quote]
Eventually managed to buy a copy. A tour de force.

Everything you want to know about Studio Ghibli

Happy surfing :wink:

Woo-hoo, 14-year bump!

Are there good Blu-Ray versions of Miyazaki movies available in Taiwan? “Good” as in with spoken Japanese, and English subtitles, and English dubbing if I so choose, and Chinese subtitles too?

GKIDS has issued new Blu-Ray versions of most Miyazaki films, usually with multiple language versions + multiple subtitles (not including Chinese, unfortunately, but often including a more literal translation of the Japanese, plus subtitles of whatever the dubbed version is). Ideally I could also get Chinese subtitles, but I don’t know if that’s an option.

Sadly, Miyazaki and/or his studio seems philosophically opposed to streaming, so I may finally invest in a Blu-Ray player purely for these films.

Eslite seems to have Blu-Ray, but with no English?:
http://www.eslite.com/product.aspx?pgid=1004236562516266

1 Like

I’d rank his movies like the following:

1. Spirited Away
  2. My Neighbor Totoro
  3. The Wind Rises
  4. Howl’s Moving Castle
  5. Princess Mononoke
  6. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  7. Kiki’s Delivery Service
  8. Laputa Castle in the Sky
  9. Porco Rosso

I adore the first 4, like the next 4, and need to rewatch Porco Rosso as I barely remember anything.

NS Ponyo and Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro.

I have the whole collection bought from the States because I couldn´t find English versions. They are not best quality though, and for example the Japnese has no Japanese subtitles, which is a pity, as it would be great to study Japanese using these films.

Not really about the actual films but Joe Hisaishi has a concert in Taiwan very soon if any fans are interested. Not sure if there is any tickets still.

1 Like