MLKjr and the muckrakers

[color=green]Mod note: I split this from the Kwanzaa thread in Open. The title is my own creation. -DB[/color]

Off topic, but from the site:[quote]01/19/98 Newsweek, Page 62

January 6, 1964, was a long day for Martin Luther King Jr. He spent the morning seated in the reserved section of the Supreme Court, listening as lawyers argued New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, a landmark case rising out of King’s crusade against segregation in Alabama. The minister was something of an honored guest: Justice Arthur Goldberg quietly sent down a copy of Kings account of the Montgomery bus boycott, “Stride Toward Freedom,” asking for an autograph. That night King retired to his room at the Willard Hotel. There FBI bugs reportedly picked up 14 hours of party chatter, the clinking of glasses and the sounds of illicit sex–including King’s cries of “I’m f–ing for God” and “I’m not a Negro tonight!”

Note: What is not mentioned in this article is that Martin Luther King was having sex with three White women, one of whom he brutally beat while screaming the above mentioned quotes. Much of the public information on King’s use of church money to hire prostitutes and his beating them came from King’s close personal friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy (pictured above), in his 1989 book, “And the walls came tumbling down.”[/quote]

Woah! Is this stuff true!?

[quote=“Josefus”]Off topic, but from the site:[quote]01/19/98 Newsweek, Page 62

January 6, 1964, was a long day for Martin Luther King Jr. He spent the morning seated in the reserved section of the Supreme Court, listening as lawyers argued New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, a landmark case rising out of King’s crusade against segregation in Alabama. The minister was something of an honored guest: Justice Arthur Goldberg quietly sent down a copy of Kings account of the Montgomery bus boycott, “Stride Toward Freedom,” asking for an autograph. That night King retired to his room at the Willard Hotel. There FBI bugs reportedly picked up 14 hours of party chatter, the clinking of glasses and the sounds of illicit sex–including King’s cries of “I’m f–ing for God” and “I’m not a Negro tonight!”

Note: What is not mentioned in this article is that Martin Luther King was having sex with three White women, one of whom he brutally beat while screaming the above mentioned quotes. Much of the public information on King’s use of church money to hire prostitutes and his beating them came from King’s close personal friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy (pictured above), in his 1989 book, “And the walls came tumbling down.”[/quote]

Woah! Is this stuff true!?[/quote]

No.

And what about that part about the Rev. Ralph Abernathy and his book, “And the walls came tumbling down” where he made the claims? All nonsense?

Hey, it’s on the internet, it has to be true

HG

Hmm…I found this discussion about the book in question.

urbanlegends.about.com/library/b … r_king.htm

And here’s Abernathy’s own words:

[quote]. . . he also had a personal charm that ingratiated him with members of the opposite sex. He was always gracious and courteous to women, whether they were attractive to him or not. He had perfect manners. He was well educated. He was warm and friendly. He could make them laugh. He was good company, something that cannot always be said of heroes. These qualities made him even more attractive in close proximity than he was at a distance. . . .

A recent biography has suggested without quite saying so that Martin had affairs with white women as well as black. Such a suggestion is without foundation. I can say with the greatest confidence that he was never attracted to white women and had nothing to do with them, despite the opportunities that may have presented themselves. . .[/quote]
snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/mlking.asp

That’s from the same unquestionably, racist, fraudulent, white-supremacist organization as the OP.

That’s from the same unquestionably, racist, fraudulent, white-supremacist organization as the OP.[/quote]

Zoinks! I just googled the author/book and that discussion popped up. Didn’t realize it was a racist site.

I also found that About.com article you quote. So I guess it wasn’t exactly true.

urbanlegends.about.com/library/b … r_king.htm[/quote]
So why are the FBI wiretaps on MLK still classified? In regards to affairs with white women, King had a long-term affair with a white teacher/librarian from Georgia. She committed suicide a few years after MLK’s shooting. King described his affairs as “a form of anxiety reduction.”[/quote]
Should I believe his long-time friend and companion who wrote that King “was never attracted to white women and had nothing to do with them,” or you, some anonymous person on the Internet who almost certainly never met MLK? You’ll have to do better than that. Link?

urbanlegends.about.com/library/b … r_king.htm[/quote]

So why are the FBI wiretaps on MLK still classified? In regards to affairs with white women, King had a long-term affair with a white teacher/librarian from Georgia. She committed suicide a few years after MLK’s shooting. King described his affairs as “a form of anxiety reduction.”[/quote]

Should I believe his long-time friend and companion who wrote that King “was never attracted to white women and had nothing to do with them,” or you, some anonymous person on the Internet who almost certainly never met MLK? You’ll have to do better than that. Link?[/quote]

You’ll find out in 2027.
lib.umd.edu/MICROFORMS/marti … _king.html

You’ll find out that there are numbers of recordings and transcripts (thanks to liberal-icon Bobby Kennedy’s tenure as Attorney General) showing King’s obsession with prostitutes, including recordings of a debauchery in Norway when he was accepting the Nobel Prize. I don’t remember seeing too many prostitutes of color in Oslo, do you?[/quote]

If I have to wait till 2027 to find out, how come you already know? :idunno: Doesn’t seem fair.

[quote]So why are the FBI wiretaps on MLK still classified? In regards to affairs with white women, King had a long-term affair with a white teacher/librarian from Georgia. She committed suicide a few years after MLK’s shooting. King described his affairs as “a form of anxiety reduction.”

You’ll find out that there are numbers of recordings and transcripts (thanks to liberal-icon Bobby Kennedy’s tenure as Attorney General) showing King’s obsession with prostitutes, including recordings of a debauchery in Norway when he was accepting the Nobel Prize. I don’t remember seeing too many prostitutes of color in Oslo, do you?[/quote]

So what if he had affairs with white women? Or prostitutes? Or white women prostitutes? Is there some problem with that? I’m not saying that he did or didn’t… I just don’t understand the buzz.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote]So why are the FBI wiretaps on MLK still classified? In regards to affairs with white women, King had a long-term affair with a white teacher/librarian from Georgia. She committed suicide a few years after MLK’s shooting. King described his affairs as “a form of anxiety reduction.”

So what if he had affairs with white women? Or prostitutes? Or white women prostitutes? Is there some problem with that? I’m not saying that he did or didn’t… I just don’t understand the buzz.[/quote]

Yes, what is the problem with that.? Seems to me he was actually practicing what he was preaching. TM, the idea of MLK having affairs with white women may bring on OJ-itis. :laughing:

It’s Wikiality. :raspberry:

Yes, what is the problem with that.? Seems to me he was actually practicing what he was preaching. TM, the idea of MLK having affairs with white women may bring on OJ-itis. :laughing:[/quote]

I agree with both of you. So what if he did? Nothing wrong with interracial relations (or sex with prostitutes in my opinion). But, so far the evidence suggests that he didn’t do either, so I don’t want anyone to be misled by some of the posts.

So far, we have:

A. A white-supremacist group (StormFront)'s Website and GraceSlick claiming MLK slept with white women and prostitutes, beat them and treated them badly, etc., but provide no evidence to back up their claims, and

B. An autobiography of a well-known and respect civil rights leader who was a close personal friend of MLK, who states the above assertions are completely false (and snopes and other similar websites agreeing with his position).

And, you’ll notice that GraceSlick only joined Forumosa today and made 3 posts, all in this thread. Smells like smurf to me. I suspect GS is a regular poster who was too cowardly to tarnish his reputation by voicing his prejudices and wacko, racist rumors. But I could be wrong. If GS provides real evidence I’ll examine it. Until then, I’m certain all of the above allegations (except adultery – that no one is denying) are completely false and racist rumors.

It’s common for men of power to be tempted by the flesh, even more so for men of the cloth. I’ve read several articles discussing how among chruch congregations, the pastor is often faced with dealing with women who make sexual advances toward their pastor, primarily because of his role represents for them.

The only reason this is “worthy” of discussion is the fact that MLK was 1)famous, and 2)in America we do love to knock those off the very pedestal we place them on to begin with.

I’m one of many who wishes those pastors would accept those offers instead of molesting kids

[quote=“dablindfrog”][quote=“Namahottie”]

It’s common for men of power to be tempted by the flesh, even more so for men of the cloth. I’ve read several articles discussing how among chruch congregations, the pastor is often faced with dealing with women who make sexual advances toward their pastor, primarily because of his role represents for them.

[/quote]

I’m one of many who wishes those pastors would accept those offers instead of molesting kids[/quote]

Pastors are different from PREISTS. Do you read?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“dablindfrog”]
I’m one of many who wishes those pastors would accept those offers instead of molesting kids[/quote]

Pastors are different from PREISTS. Do you read?[/quote]

oh i do read

72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:-F_ … =firefox-a

72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:-cr … =firefox-a

72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:HtW … =firefox-a

and then there’s plenty more to read but i haven’t got time for more,nor stomach :frowning:

King has been canonized by the media, and has become a convenient liberal political symbol after his death. Allegations of ahem, uncanonical behavior on his part are therefore inconvenient and offensive. They do, however, seem to be true for the most part. If it helps, think of King as a black version of Bill Clinton. Talented, charismatic, opportunistic, morally conflicted.

The scandal of his affairs is not so much that they included white women, but that King was (you’ll recall) married, and that he claimed a certain moral authority as a Protestant minister. (These were respected rather more then than today.)

If you don’t believe the affairs, then perhaps you will believe that he plagiarized the bulk of his doctoral dissertation. (The details are public knowledge, though somewhat taboo.) For some reason, he never had his degree stripped from him as he deserved.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]King has been canonized by the media, and has become a convenient liberal political symbol after his death. Allegations of ahem, uncanonical behavior on his part are therefore inconvenient and offensive. They do, however, seem to be true for the most part. If it helps, think of King as a black version of Bill Clinton. Talented, charismatic, opportunistic, morally conflicted.

The scandal of his affairs is not so much that they included white women, but that King was (you’ll recall) married, and that he claimed a certain moral authority as a Protestant minister. (These were respected rather more then than today.)

If you don’t believe the affairs, then perhaps you will believe that he plagiarized the bulk of his doctoral dissertation. (The details are public knowledge, though somewhat taboo.) For some reason, he never had his degree stripped from him as he deserved.[/quote]

And maybe Jesus isn’t really the son of God.

So what?