Mo Da Wei English school? (莫大衛兒童英語補習班)

Anyone heard of Mo Da Wei English school? I’m weary about schools run by Americans after a negative experience. Just wondering if anyone has worked here or known someone who has or knows anything about it good/bad. Many thanks.
Tealit ad link:
tealit.com/ad_categories.php?sec … anguage=en

It’s probably the most well-known of the “hardcore foreign-run buxibans”

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 35&t=39881

Meh, I’d be impressed if they could prove results with all of that hardcore posturing. Nothing in the instructors’ Chinese-language biographies or the program itself suggests anything remarkable.

I applied there and never heard back, but I also said that my Mandarin wasn’t excellent, so I can only guess that means that instructors bear a heavy administrative workload.

Note: My Chinese was good enough to land a job on the Chinese-language online classified sites and work at my present job without any difficulties.

After taking a quick look over their website it appears that they will only take teachers from North America and Canada. This will be something to watch out for it you are not from one of these countries.

Only Americans and Canadians?

I expect that from the run of the mill binlang chewing local buxiban owner.

However, from foreign owners, I would expect more intelligence.

Do only Americans and Canadians speak English?
Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans and the British speaking English. Must be one of those urban myths, like waking up in a bath full off ice with a few organs missing.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Only Americans and Canadians?

However, from foreign owners, I would expect more intelligence.

Do only Americans and Canadians speak English?
Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans and the British speaking English. Must be one of those urban myths, like waking up in a bath full off ice with a few organs missing.[/quote]

You have to have a bloodline leading back to the those countries so that, if you screw up, they can trace your lineage all the way back and kill every person in your family tree.

They only hire people from Canada and the US. I’ve seen ads where they stated this openly. They may do it anymore due to possible “legal” reasons, but I have seen it in their ads in the past.

Although I’ve never worked there, I know the boss personally. I can vouch for Frank being a good guy. I also know of some teachers who have been working there many years. If you can fit in the system, you could be happy.

Hope that helps

[quote=“bigduke6”]Only Americans and Canadians?

However, from foreign owners, I would expect more intelligence.[/quote]
Unfortunately, parents want “American” English.

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“bigduke6”]Only Americans and Canadians?

However, from foreign owners, I would expect more intelligence.[/quote]
Unfortunately, parents want “American” English.[/quote]

The funny thing is that the parents who insist on it, would not know it if it kicked dad in the balls, and mom in her special place.

God, my wifes co worker once tried to convince me that Indians do not speak English, as they do not have an American accent. I would love to send him to the West Indies for a week. He would be f&*ked with his “American” English. :loco:

Parents rarely talk to the foreign teacher. There is a Russian woman here in Chiayi who has been teaching English at a cram school for years. The school tells the parents that she is American and no one knows the difference, except her co-workers. And trust me, she has a THICK Russian accent… :laughing:

Parents rarely talk to the foreign teacher. There is a Russian woman here in Jiayi who has been teaching English at a cram school for years. The school tells the parents that she is American and no one knows the difference, except her co-workers. And trust me, she has a THICK Russian accent… :laughing:[/quote]

Correct.

I would like to see some type of evidence that these hardcore foreign run buxibans are so great as many make out. :ponder:

Personally, I believe it is all smoke and mirrors. Dress the teachers up in shirts and ties, and you are halfway there.

From my experience it is not so much the school. but the way the English program is structured,that makes the major difference.
99.9 percent of schools have a non native, without any teaching qualification, specifically in a second language, that put the programs together.
My G-d, if you saw some of the text books my K1 class has you would laugh. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Googling around using 莫大衛 and Google Translate led me to the webpage of a Taiwanese parent. I don’t know Chinese, but from what little I can gather using Google Translate, the parent seems quite insightful. I also got the impression he’s not entirely satisfied with the English instruction his child is receiving. The page is entitled “學校裡也要有莫大衛.” Mo Da Wei is mentioned in the next-to-last paragraph of the page:

[quote]想要救孩子?簡單,到外邊補習吧。外邊除了幾個更想大賺的名師之外,開業補習的不也都是學校出來的老師?同樣的老師,在課後用更多心力照顧課後的學生 (是的,包含自己與別人白天的學生),實在令人有時空錯置的感嘆。有問題的是教育制度,不怪老師。設計出一套四處漏洞、全身罩門的教育體制,我很懷疑政府和所謂教改學者的能力。與其多搞一些名堂讓教科書業者多賣幾本書,不如救救我們的下一代吧。還是,你們都希望我們也去上個「莫大衛」?那邊很小,收不了這麼多學生的。[/quote] malichuang.com/archives/5104

Mo Da Wei’s website:

modawei.com.tw/

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]Googling around using 莫大衛 and Google Translate led me to the webpage of a Taiwanese parent. I don’t know Chinese, but from what little I can gather using Google Translate, the parent seems quite insightful. I also got the impression he’s not entirely satisfied with the English instruction his child is receiving. The page is entitled “學校裡也要有莫大衛.” Mo Da Wei is mentioned in the next-to-last paragraph of the page:

[quote]想要救孩子?簡單,到外邊補習吧。外邊除了幾個更想大賺的名師之外,開業補習的不也都是學校出來的老師?同樣的老師,在課後用更多心力照顧課後的學生 (是的,包含自己與別人白天的學生),實在令人有時空錯置的感嘆。有問題的是教育制度,不怪老師。設計出一套四處漏洞、全身罩門的教育體制,我很懷疑政府和所謂教改學者的能力。與其多搞一些名堂讓教科書業者多賣幾本書,不如救救我們的下一代吧。還是,你們都希望我們也去上個「莫大衛」?那邊很小,收不了這麼多學生的。[/quote] malichuang.com/archives/5104

Mo Da Wei’s website:

modawei.com.tw/[/quote]

Read it (no G-Trans for me, thanks). I don’t know if I could fully translate it perfectly, but the part that mentions Mo Da Wei is easy.

你們都希望我們也去上個「莫大衛」?那邊很小,收不了這麼多學生的。
Do you all hope that we just go to a Mo Da Wei? That place is very small, and it can’t take in so many students.

I’ll bite at the rest:

“Do you want to help your kid? Send them to a cram school. You’ve got big-name teachers looking to make big bucks, and your own teachers from your own schools to top it off. Something’s really wrong when teachers try harder to help their after-school students (yes, including their own and other teachers’ regular daytime students.) The problem is with the education system, not the teachers. With a system full of loopholes and weak points, I’m highly skeptical of the ability of the government and so-called “education reform scholars.” Here’s a thought: instead of giving these guys another couple of chances to sell their books, why not fix the system for the next generation.”

Thanks for the translation, guys.